Ranking Martial Arts for Self Defensw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I swear it's a real place. This is Colorado, where pot is legal. In Denver, they have decriminalized magic mushrooms. So is it any wonder we have Casa Bonita? I mean, on a scale of one to batcrap crazy, Casa Bonita is only like a 3 or 4. You want really crazy? Go to Guffee, where the Mayor is a cat named Monster, and the big yearly event is the Annual Guffey Chicken Fly. I kid you not.

That's my take on it as well. So I'm going to join @Buka in voting for Sinanju. Because it's Korean, and I mostly do Korean Arts.
Wow. I am curious how many chickens compete? Are there weight classes? Heats? This reminds me very much of Arcata Ca. Look up the kinetic sculpture race, or the all species parade.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I am curious how many chickens compete? Are there weight classes? Heats? This reminds me very much of Arcata Ca. Look up the kinetic sculpture race, or the all species parade.
I honestly do not know. I do know locals bring their chickens, and that you can rent one if you want to participate but forgot to bring a live chicken.
And before it's asked... No, the chickens are not harmed. Yes, PETA has protested. No, I don't think anybody cared about PETAs opinion.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I honestly do not know. I do know locals bring their chickens, and that you can rent one if you want to participate but forgot to bring a live chicken.
And before it's asked... No, the chickens are not harmed. Yes, PETA has protested. No, I don't think anybody cared about PETAs opinion.
Children using a toilet plunger to launch chickens out of a mailbox mounted on a platform… Somebody went to Denver and came back with magic mushrooms. That’s the only plausible explanation I can come up with.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Children using a toilet plunger to launch chickens out of a mailbox mounted on a platform… Somebody went to Denver and came back with magic mushrooms. That’s the only plausible explanation I can come up with.
I follow your thinking, but both their demoCATic mayor and the chicken fly predate the decriminalization of mushrooms.
So the question is... if this is the stuff Coloradans think of BEFORE drugs, what's going to happen now?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me, if I were young and healthy without back problem and do it all over again, I would either take Muy Thai and BJJ together. OR just join UFC to learn MMA. That to me is the MOST practical and effective self defense you can learn. I know this will offend a lot of TMA people, but that's the fact proven over and over. Like I said over and over, don't buy it, get good enough and enter the Octagon and win some fight with ONLY your style. Then you can show me. Stop making excuses.

I am surprised after 30 years, still so many people refuse to accept the fact. You want to learn the "ART", forget what I said. But you want to win a fight, this is it. Now you can curse me, call me ignorant.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me, if I were young and healthy without back problem and do it all over again, I would either take Muy Thai and BJJ together. OR just join UFC to learn MMA.
You can't "just join UFC".

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can't "just join UFC".
UFC have gyms all over the place, my wife joint the gym. The gym is only 5 minutes from us. They have classes, all sort of classes. NO, you cannot just go to fight, you have to proof yourself. BUT I am sure they have beginner classes.

My wife told me they have rolls of heavy bags(all sorts) hanging there. There got to be classes. It's so popular now.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
UFC have gyms all over the place, my wife joint the gym. They gym is only 5 minutes from us. They have classes, all sort of classes. NO, you cannot just go to fight, you have to proof yourself. BUT I am sure they have beginner classes.
Right. You can join a gym. You cannot join the UFC.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like I said over and over, don't buy it, get good enough and enter the Octagon and win some fight with ONLY your style. Then you can show me. Stop making excuses.
You mean "win some fight, with ONLY your style, but adhering to UFC rules?"

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
UFC rules are very relax, it's as close to real fight as it can already. Rules like no eyes gouging and all that can work both ways, MMA practitioner can do it to the opponent just as easy. Don't think if you don't have rules, you can win.

Ha ha, you can always challenge the UFC fighter on the street to proof a point too. I am sure IF someone in TMA can beat a UFC fighter on the street, they will be famous instantaneously. It will be HUGE news on youtube and all that.

Go to youtube and type Xu Zhiaodong and watch some of the video. It is sad. Far as I know, he has a $20K bounty for whoever can beat him in China. I don't think he's the top dog in MMA fighting.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

On this note. If it is some sort of lethwei of Vale tudo or other sort of less rules than MMA successful fighter.

Then fine they have a point.

If it is some sort of guy who does demo's telling people about how many rules they wouldn't use in a fight if they ever got in to one.

Not so fine.

I am even going to suggest if the guy is some sort of man dingo fighter or street beefs or something where your competition is low paid low commitment street fighters. Also not so much.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I miss spoke, I meant join UFC gym and take the class just like we take TKD class.
Just so you know, UFC gyms are actually not usually the best place to train MMA. It’s just a gym chain that they’ve licensed the name to. I’m not aware of any high-level (or even mid-level) fighters coming out of any of the UFC gyms.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think people are over thinking the UFC thing.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just so you know, UFC gyms are actually not usually the best place to train MMA. It’s just a gym chain that they’ve licensed the name to. I’m not aware of any high-level (or even mid-level) fighters coming out of any of the UFC gyms.
Find a better place, it's just the idea of learning MMA. I am too old, I never really look into learning MMA, so I have no idea where to learn, just the idea of MMA...........Combine the best of each MA. It is very obvious that no one discipline is perfect. As dominant was Royce Gracie that ate all the MA for breakfast at the beginning of UFC, he got his a$$ handed to him by Matt Huges later. Then Huges got his butt whooped very soon after.

This is 21st century, people treat this like any other sports, they tape it, analyze it, improve on it. It's not like the older days people trust without questioning what the teacher taught. MMA eliminate all the moves that doesn't work and only take out ones that work. Those style that insist on heritage and tradition are going to be eliminated.....or just talk with mouth and making excuses why they don't want to face the MMA. Believe me, I heard so many bad mouthing, I am surprised 30 years after Royce Grace clean house, there is still argument.

Don't thing I feel good saying all these, I am only a one trick pony, only know kick boxing type from the 80s where Bruce Lee changed the whole MA scene( can't believe there were so many people said they could beat Lee AFTER he died). I am too injured and old to learn MMA, I am just envy. I actually feel bad I put in all the hard work for nothing. But that's the brutal truth. I don't think Bruce Lee can last a minute in the Octagon, rules or no rule. It's a different world today.

I better quit talking, I am not making friends here with this.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go to youtube and type Xu Zhiaodong and watch some of the video. It is sad. Far as I know, he has a $20K bounty for whoever can beat him in China. I don't think he's the top dog in MMA fighting.
Xiaodong is the top dog in Kung Fu. Very hot right now, Xu Xiaodong.

Did you know he started in San Shou and boxing before he decided to become the new face of Kung Fu Gong Sao?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dont you just love that because he picks on chumps and phonies somehow he isn’t a gung fu man.
CMA history is packed with such duels in fiction and in history, it's how most of the famous (real) fighters in Chinese history got their reputations, but you'd think a modern aging master of Tai chi who was challenged by a relatively fit mixed martial artist with extensive Sanshou comp experience would at least put a senior student forward in their place who was actively training.

Nope, old Tai chi guy has to try to save face in front of generations of students and fails anyway.

There are so many Sanshou peeps who do Tai Chi, it's hard to believe there are still schools in China claiming to teach the Quan part, and embarrassing entire lineages the moment they're pressure tested. Same old song.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
CMA history is packed with such duels in fiction and in history, it's how most of the famous (real) fighters in Chinese history got their reputations, but you'd think a modern aging master of Tai chi who was challenged by a relatively fit mixed martial artist with extensive Sanshou comp experience would at least put a senior student forward in their place who was actively training.

Nope, old Tai chi guy has to try to save face in front of generations of students and fails anyway.

There are so many Sanshou peeps who do Tai Chi, it's hard to believe there are still schools in China claiming to teach the Quan part, and embarrassing entire lineages the moment they're pressure tested. Same old song.
Sad but true. I wonder if I have enough background info to really grasp the entirety of that situation. There may be quite a few things at play. I find it very interesting. I don’t feel bad for charlatans or braggarts in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions