Ranking Martial Arts for Self Defensw

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ok I guess I have to watch the video, nowā€¦ thisā€¦ Steveā€¦ is all your fault. I plan to hold you responsible for whatever faces or eye rolls I make. If your ears burn around 8 tonite you will know why.
I expect your eyes to roll often. Itā€™s part of the fun. :)

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you really think they were talking about superhuman ability, or is it possible they were making another point? When I heard that, in the context of the rest of that exchange, I took it to mean that the founder of Aikido, and his most skilled students, all came into Aikido as very accomplished, skilled martial artists from a wide range of styles. Superhuman was a hyperbolic reference to their relative skills outside of aikido. That maps to some of the things that many aikidoka on this forum have said over the years, along the lines of Aikido being a great supplemental style that needs a solid foundation of skill prior to training in order to be practical.
Except it's also false. Morihei Ueshiba's martial arts background is well documented, and he had not done any extensive study, much less become "very accomplished", in any martial art before starting studying daito ryu. He became a daito ryu instructor and kept teaching it until his death, after rebranding it as aikido (a name he didn't care about and didn't even come up with). So he obtained his skills from the same art that he continued to teach - and besides other top instructors in that art are reported to have had similar skills.
As for his students, while some were indeed very accomplished, most of them, including some top guys, were just kids at the time.
Therefore neither Ueshiba's skills nor his students' can be attributed to previous training.
And what they did say was that he was such a "monster" that was "inhumanely good" that it can't be replicated. That's pretty close to the definition of a superhuman.
So, they've demonstrated a lack of understanding of the art's history, context and technical aspects. And we're talking about the art that Rokas's supposed to know best. Which makes me question the whole endeavour.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
How do YOU rank them? Outside of WC, Gung Fu isnā€™t even on the list. Not sure if I am even invited to this party.
Iā€™m happy to rank them. And feel free to add them. I think the gist in the opinion for kung fu is that there are some serious practitioners who pressure test and supplement the training but most who train are not well prepared.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Except it's also false. Morihei Ueshiba's martial arts background is well documented, and he had not done any extensive study, much less become "very accomplished", in any martial art before starting studying daito ryu. He became a daito ryu instructor and kept teaching it until his death, after rebranding it as aikido (a name he didn't care about and didn't even come up with). So he obtained his skills from the same art that he continued to teach - and besides other top instructors in that art are reported to have had similar skills.
As for his students, while some were indeed very accomplished, most of them, including some top guys, were just kids at the time.
Therefore neither Ueshiba's skills nor his students' can be attributed to previous training.
And what they did say was that he was such a "monster" that was "inhumanely good" that it can't be replicated. That's pretty close to the definition of a superhuman.
So, they've demonstrated a lack of understanding of the art's history, context and technical aspects. And we're talking about the art that Rokas's supposed to know best. Which makes me question the whole endeavour.
Huh. Thatā€™s interesting. So all of the accounts of his extensive martial arts background are false? Crazy. Do you have some evidence of this? Iā€™m very curious because this is contrary to what Iā€™ve heard from every other aikidoka here and elsewhere.

Also, for what itā€™s worth, the other guy was saying this. Not Rokas, but even so, if youā€™re right, I donā€™t think itā€™s common knowledge even among aikido practitioners.

Ultimately, though, I think youā€™re getting caught up in a tangent. The question is os, do you think aikido is better than they ranked it for self defense?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
If someone is dinging the video because the poster is ranking systems they have no experience with, then by their own logic (logic I tend to agree with, mostly) they cannot really rank the styles themselves.
I personally have no dog in this fight. Steve said earlier, just for fun. I watched 20 minutes of it. It seems a little tongue in cheek, which means I am ok with it. Hell, gung fu isnā€™t even on the list, so I donā€™t rank at all, except if you count my tier 9 Tai Chi training. I will give a full ranking of how well this video defends itself later.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Huh. Thatā€™s interesting. So all of the accounts of his extensive martial arts background are false? Crazy. Do you have some evidence of this? Iā€™m very curious because this is contrary to what Iā€™ve heard from every other aikidoka here and elsewhere.

Also, for what itā€™s worth, the other guy was saying this. Not Rokas, but even so, if youā€™re right, I donā€™t think itā€™s common knowledge even among aikido practitioners.
For example: Ueshibaā€™s Martial Arts Career Before Aikido Was Born

I agree that it's not common knowledge. It was part of the narrative pushed by the mainline aikido organisation to make aikido look original and obfuscate the links to daito ryu. Then the narrative changed to "yeah he studied daito ryu but then he modified that brutal martial art into an art of peace because he hated war", which ignores the very close ties and active involvement of M. Ueshiba in extreme fascist groups in Japan at the time.
Now the "Ueshiba was a master/martial arts genius before founding aikido" narrative has been resurrected to justify the shortcomings of modern exponents. "He was special, I'm not, so it's ok if I can't even come close to his skills".
My opinion is that while he was certainly talented, no man is unattainable. He was able to train in a particular method, of which his contemporaries saw the value, but which he was not able or did not care to pass on. I think it's the job of the aikido community to preserve what has survived of the method and to reconstruct what has been lost, which was the most interesting part of the art, for me at least.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If someone is dinging the video because the poster is ranking systems they have no experience with, then by their own logic (logic I tend to agree with, mostly) they cannot really rank the styles themselves.
They can rank the styles theyā€™re familiar with, though. How would you rank them?

My working theory is that folks have opinions and could easily rank them, if they wanted to. And maybe some new information will come out.

For example, I have learned that ueshiba might not have the extensive martial arts background I thought he had prior to Founding aikido.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
They can rank the styles theyā€™re familiar with, though. How would you rank them?

My working theory is that folks have opinions and could easily rank them, if they wanted to. And maybe some new information will come out.

For example, I have learned that ueshiba might not have the extensive martial arts background I thought he had prior to Founding aikido.
Well I will hazard a guess about this videoā€¦wait for itā€¦

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since you seem to have known most everyone in the MA world, no doubt you have worked with Sinanju's Master Chin. What did you find most valuable from "Little Father's" teachings?

(Can't wait to hear your response:nailbiting:)
Unfortunately, I was never around Master Chin. But I'm pretty sure Remo and I were in Mrs Kopeski's eight grade class together. We kept getting suspended for letting the adventure begin.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
the tl;dr version is that they created a relative ranking system. They did give arts a letter grading, with S at the top, then A through F, though I think in the end it was calibrated mostly to be a ranking of arts relative to each other.

The simple criteria was how well prepared folks were after a 'year or two' of training in the styles as they are commonly trained.

The video is so long, because they actually chat about each style at length, so whether or not you agree with them, you'll at least understand their rationale for where they placed the style and why.

So, the question is, how would you rank the following styles? If you don't know or aren't comfortable ranking a style, just ignore it. If you're not interested in participating, it's okay. Don't sweat it. Just a little fun. I'll list all the styles out below, in the order they ended them with in the video.

Tier 1: Wrestling and catch wrestling
Tier 2: GJJ and MMA
Tier 3: BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, and Lethwei
Tier 4: Kickboxing
Tier 5: Western Boxing
Tier 6: Capoeira, JJJ, Karate, JKD, Kenpo, Krav Maga
Tier 7: Kali/Escrima
Tier 8: Aikido, TKD, WC
Tier 9: Ninjutsu, Pencak Silat, Systema, and Tai Chi
So hereā€™s my ranking list. Keep in mind as I said I have not seen the original video. I also copied all the arts down onto a google doc without looking to see where they all landed, so that Iā€™m making a list rather than altering rokaā€™s.

Also keep in mind that I have not tried all these arts, some of this is likely inaccurate info since Iā€™m going based on my own assumptions and information about the styles, even the ones Iā€™ve trained in. NO ONE SHOULD TAKE THIS LIST AS FACTUAL. I AM BORED AND THIS SEEMED FUN, IT IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE.

Thirdly, within a tier all styles are equal-or at least I didnā€™t put thought into ranking them against each other. At the spots where theyā€™re separated by paragraph, thatā€™s not saying the top art is better, itā€™s just how I happened to separate to explain my thoughts.

Finally, Iā€™m going with the criteria steve gave in his earlier post, with the addition of the ā€œaverageā€ school of that style. There are definitely schools from my Tier 2 style that leave students less prepared than schools in the Tier 9 styles (think about stuff like the no-touch BJJ thatā€™s rare but exists, and Tomiki Aikido).

Tier 1:

None. Iā€™m assuming this is ā€˜SSSā€™ rank, and I donā€™t think any art is good enough that the average student develops their students to this level.

Mainly because most arts leave out a crucial skill (ie: whatā€™s a boxer going to do if he gets tackled before he realizes a fight is starting), and de-escalation.

Tier 2:

Customer Service jobs, Therapy & Social work jobs, and MMA.

I put those two in as tongue-in-cheek, since they hit something (with consistent practice), that, as mentioned above, martial arts tend not to. MMA is here because they typically train with feedback, and learn enough skills that whatever combat situation arises they should be okay, with the exception of an armed opponent.

Tier 3:

Is GJJ goshin jiujitsu, or something else? Iā€™m not aware itā€™s popular, but Iā€™d place it here if it is, since thatā€™s kind of MMA-lite. If itā€™s something else, no ranking since I donā€™t know it.

Wrestling, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Judo and BJJ. Iā€™m putting these all here because they teach with resistance, but have holes on their own. If someone learns kickboxing or muay thai and ends up on the ground, theyā€™re in a troublesome situation. If someone learns judo, wrestling or BJJ and are in a situation where they canā€™t grapple (or the person theyā€™re fighting nows how to keep distance), theyā€™re also in a troublesome situation. This is easily resolved by cross-training, or training somewhere that teaches you how to deal with their weakspots, but from my understanding/experiences, the average place does not do that.

Kenpo. Similar to GJJ (if I got it right), itā€™s MMA-lite. It doesnā€™t have any specific weak spots, and has the benefit of teaching specific techniques to hopefully improve reaction upon being attacked. However, not all schools encourage competition or realistic resistance training, and there are so many branches the quality is not consistent. Iā€™d say the median ability of kenpo students after 2 years training would probably be very different than the mean (and not sure which way it skews).

Cross-country/track. Not a martial art, but probably has saved a lot of lives simply by having better cardio and being able to run away from the guy trying to hurt you. Doesnā€™t work if your trapped, or trying to save your friends/family/strangers if youā€™re really nice.

Tier 4:

Lethwei. From what I understand, and this may be inaccurate, this is similar to Muay Thai except it has older training methods, focuses on skills that were more important in the past, and teaches archaic weapons. While Iā€™d personally like that over MT, that causes the issue that it likely was more effective for SD in the past vs. now.

Boxing. Similar to the other limited combat sports in Tier 3, except more limited-if you canā€™t use your hands for whatever reason, or the person has a weapon thatā€™s keeping you out of reach, then a lot of what you know is now useless.

Kali/Escrima. One of, if not my top, favorite arts, it can teach you everything you need to know. Where I learned, they teach hand striking, grappling (with and without weapon), weapon use against weapon, weapon use against empty-hand, and empty-hand against weapon. They go over weapon retention as well, and often involve a lot of sparring/resistance in all of those, and you can find competitions to test your skills. The reason itā€™s not ranked higher is because from my understanding a lot of schools only teach (particularly with resistance) weapon vs. weapon. Thatā€™s great if you end up in that situation. But chances are you will not, so the average practitioner would probably be seriously lacking on the empty-hand and grappling aspects (even though grappling can improve your weapon ability a ton).

Tier 5:

Capoeira, Krav Maga, Sumo (I added sumo). These all teach things that you can use to win a fight very quickly very suddenly. Capoeira, the opponents not expecting you to suddenly do a triple flip and axe kick his temple. KM and Sumo, teach a level of aggression and how to use that aggression to overwhelm at the start. That said, if you donā€™t end it quickly, your in trouble since the weaknesses of each art comes out.

Tier 6:

JJJ, Karate, TKD, JKD. Probably going to get some flak for this, but all of these suffer from the same issue. They all could be at the same level as the tier 3 arts, but the average level of ability Iā€™d guess is much lower. Not because of the arts, but because of how often they are targeted to children, and taught as ā€˜easyā€™ arts, where you donā€™t have to be as serious, and in two of them you donā€™t have much resistance training/sparring/competition on average, while the other two add too many safety precautions and suffer from point sparring lowering what people expect after a year or two what will happen in an actual fight (at that point in training, if you do point sparring people seem to expect their opponent will go down with that first blow and not follow up, since thatā€™s how they train and they havenā€™t seen anything to dispute it. Eventually they should get over that misconception, but not yet).

Tier 7:

Pencak Silat. They fight with scarves-howā€™s that useful?

WC. Made for women. The average martial artist is male. Therefore, this style is not made for the average martial artist.

Ninjutsu. In self defense youā€™re not typically sneaking up and assassinating your opponent. So half of what they learn is useless.

Catch Wrestling. My friends and I used to do this, I think. We called it combat ball-sports. Weā€™d play catch/baseball, football, or basketball, with no fouls, and hurt each other trying to win. A ton of fun, but unless thereā€™s a ball and glove, I fail to see how yanking someoneā€™s arm will help me in a SD situation.

Those are all jokes, obviously. I donā€™t know enough about any of those to place them. I thought about placing WC around tier 6, and Pencak around tier 4, but the lack of knowledge I have about them would be dishonest. Plus I need this to fill out all 9 tiers. As for why Tier 7-this was when I realized I didnā€™t have enough tiers if I left them out.

Tier 8:

Systema. From what I can tell the average systema school is just..not good. Itā€™s similar to krav without the advantage of aggression, has consistency issues, and pressure-testing issues. That said, they do deal with more than just compliant partners refusing to punch you, and have the intention of SD, so I couldnā€™t place it in Tier 9.

Tier 9:

Aikido. Iā€™ve talked to a lot of aikidoka, and Iā€™d say about 80% of them have informed me that they donā€™t do competition, or real resistance drills even, and also that punches are not used in Aikido. There are exceptions of course, but the average student would come out after 1-2 years knowing how to throw a compliant person, not knowing what to do if they resist in an unexpected way, and not knowing what to do if they punch at you.

I added a few, but donā€™t think I took out any of the arts you listed.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
the tl;dr version is that they created a relative ranking system. They did give arts a letter grading, with S at the top, then A through F, though I think in the end it was calibrated mostly to be a ranking of arts relative to each other.

The simple criteria was how well prepared folks were after a 'year or two' of training in the styles as they are commonly trained.

The video is so long, because they actually chat about each style at length, so whether or not you agree with them, you'll at least understand their rationale for where they placed the style and why.

So, the question is, how would you rank the following styles? If you don't know or aren't comfortable ranking a style, just ignore it. If you're not interested in participating, it's okay. Don't sweat it. Just a little fun. I'll list all the styles out below, in the order they ended them with in the video.

Tier 1: Wrestling and catch wrestling
Tier 2: GJJ and MMA
Tier 3: BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, and Lethwei
Tier 4: Kickboxing
Tier 5: Western Boxing
Tier 6: Capoeira, JJJ, Karate, JKD, Kenpo, Krav Maga
Tier 7: Kali/Escrima
Tier 8: Aikido, TKD, WC
Tier 9: Ninjutsu, Pencak Silat, Systema, and Tai Chi

So hereā€™s my ranking list. Keep in mind as I said I have not seen the original video. I also copied all the arts down onto a google doc without looking to see where they all landed, so that Iā€™m making a list rather than altering rokaā€™s.

Also keep in mind that I have not tried all these arts, some of this is likely inaccurate info since Iā€™m going based on my own assumptions and information about the styles, even the ones Iā€™ve trained in. NO ONE SHOULD TAKE THIS LIST AS FACTUAL. I AM BORED AND THIS SEEMED FUN, IT IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE.

Thirdly, within a tier all styles are equal-or at least I didnā€™t put thought into ranking them against each other. At the spots where theyā€™re separated by paragraph, thatā€™s not saying the top art is better, itā€™s just how I happened to separate to explain my thoughts.

Finally, Iā€™m going with the criteria steve gave in his earlier post, with the addition of the ā€œaverageā€ school of that style. There are definitely schools from my Tier 2 style that leave students less prepared than schools in the Tier 9 styles (think about stuff like the no-touch BJJ thatā€™s rare but exists, and Tomiki Aikido).

Tier 1:

None. Iā€™m assuming this is ā€˜SSSā€™ rank, and I donā€™t think any art is good enough that the average student develops their students to this level.

Mainly because most arts leave out a crucial skill (ie: whatā€™s a boxer going to do if he gets tackled before he realizes a fight is starting), and de-escalation.

Tier 2:

I put those two in as tongue-in-cheek, since they hit something (with consistent practice), that, as mentioned above, martial arts tend not to. MMA is here because they typically train with feedback, and learn enough skills that whatever combat situation arises they should be okay, with the exception of an armed opponent.

Tier 3:

Is GJJ goshin jiujitsu, or something else? Iā€™m not aware itā€™s popular, but Iā€™d place it here if it is, since thatā€™s kind of MMA-lite. If itā€™s something else, no ranking since I donā€™t know it.

Wrestling, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Judo and BJJ. Iā€™m putting these all here because they teach with resistance, but have holes on their own. If someone learns kickboxing or muay thai and ends up on the ground, theyā€™re in a troublesome situation. If someone learns judo, wrestling or BJJ and are in a situation where they canā€™t grapple (or the person theyā€™re fighting nows how to keep distance), theyā€™re also in a troublesome situation. This is easily resolved by cross-training, or training somewhere that teaches you how to deal with their weakspots, but from my understanding/experiences, the average place does not do that.

Kenpo. Similar to GJJ (if I got it right), itā€™s MMA-lite. It doesnā€™t have any specific weak spots, and has the benefit of teaching specific techniques to hopefully improve reaction upon being attacked. However, not all schools encourage competition or realistic resistance training, and there are so many branches the quality is not consistent. Iā€™d say the median ability of kenpo students after 2 years training would probably be very different than the mean (and not sure which way it skews).

Cross-country/track. Not a martial art, but probably has saved a lot of lives simply by having better cardio and being able to run away from the guy trying to hurt you. Doesnā€™t work if your trapped, or trying to save your friends/family/strangers if youā€™re really nice.

Tier 4:

Lethwei. From what I understand, and this may be inaccurate, this is similar to Muay Thai except it has older training methods, focuses on skills that were more important in the past, and teaches archaic weapons. While Iā€™d personally like that over MT, that causes the issue that it likely was more effective for SD in the past vs. now.

Boxing. Similar to the other limited combat sports in Tier 3, except more limited-if you canā€™t use your hands for whatever reason, or the person has a weapon thatā€™s keeping you out of reach, then a lot of what you know is now useless.

Kali/Escrima. One of, if not my top, favorite arts, it can teach you everything you need to know. Where I learned, they teach hand striking, grappling (with and without weapon), weapon use against weapon, weapon use against empty-hand, and empty-hand against weapon. They go over weapon retention as well, and often involve a lot of sparring/resistance in all of those, and you can find competitions to test your skills. The reason itā€™s not ranked higher is because from my understanding a lot of schools only teach (particularly with resistance) weapon vs. weapon. Thatā€™s great if you end up in that situation. But chances are you will not, so the average practitioner would probably be seriously lacking on the empty-hand and grappling aspects (even though grappling can improve your weapon ability a ton).

Tier 5:

Capoeira, Krav Maga, Sumo (I added sumo). These all teach things that you can use to win a fight very quickly very suddenly. Capoeira, the opponents not expecting you to suddenly do a triple flip and axe kick his temple. KM and Sumo, teach a level of aggression and how to use that aggression to overwhelm at the start. That said, if you donā€™t end it quickly, your in trouble since the weaknesses of each art comes out.

Tier 6:

JJJ, Karate, TKD, JKD. Probably going to get some flak for this, but all of these suffer from the same issue. They all could be at the same level as the tier 3 arts, but the average level of ability Iā€™d guess is much lower. Not because of the arts, but because of how often they are targeted to children, and taught as ā€˜easyā€™ arts, where you donā€™t have to be as serious, and in two of them you donā€™t have much resistance training/sparring/competition on average, while the other two add too many safety precautions and suffer from point sparring lowering what people expect after a year or two what will happen in an actual fight (at that point in training, if you do point sparring people seem to expect their opponent will go down with that first blow and not follow up, since thatā€™s how they train and they havenā€™t seen anything to dispute it. Eventually they should get over that misconception, but not yet).

Tier 7:

WC. Made for women. The average martial artist is male. Therefore, this style is not made for the average martial artist.

Ninjutsu. In self defense youā€™re not typically sneaking up and assassinating your opponent. So half of what they learn is useless.

Catch Wrestling. My friends and I used to do this, I think. We called it combat ball-sports. Weā€™d play catch/baseball, football, or basketball, with no fouls, and hurt each other trying to win. A ton of fun, but unless thereā€™s a ball and glove, I fail to see how yanking someoneā€™s arm will help me in a SD situation.

Those are all jokes, obviously. I donā€™t know enough about any of those to place them. I thought about placing WC around tier 6, and Pencak around tier 4, but the lack of knowledge I have about them would be dishonest. Plus I need this to fill out all 9 tiers. As for why Tier 7-this was when I realized I didnā€™t have enough tiers if I left them out.

Tier 8:

Systema. From what I can tell the average systema school is just..not good. Itā€™s similar to krav without the advantage of aggression, has consistency issues, and pressure-testing issues. That said, they do deal with more than just compliant partners refusing to punch you, and have the intention of SD, so I couldnā€™t place it in Tier 9.

Tier 9:

Aikido. Iā€™ve talked to a lot of aikidoka, and Iā€™d say about 80% of them have informed me that they donā€™t do competition, or real resistance drills even, and also that punches are not used in Aikido. There are exceptions of course, but the average student would come out after 1-2 years knowing how to throw a compliant person, not knowing what to do if they resist in an unexpected way, and not knowing what to do if they punch at you.

So just compared my list to his. I'm suprised he put wrestling up on it's own, and don't know what differentiates it from catch-wrestling. Most of the rest is similar or I can understand, though I don't know his logic. With the exception of my tier 7 arts which I can't really say what makes sense, even with broad assumptions. And kali deserves to be higher.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:

Tier 4:

Tier 5:

Tier 6:

Tier 7:

Tier 8:

Tier 9:

Still reading this but want to just note that tier one on my written list above is actually the second tier. In the video they didnā€™t rank any martial art as an S level.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So just compared my list to his. I'm suprised he put wrestling up on it's own, and don't know what differentiates it from catch-wrestling. Most of the rest is similar or I can understand, though I don't know his logic. With the exception of my tier 7 arts which I can't really say what makes sense, even with broad assumptions. And kali deserves to be higher.
I would put kali higher, too. And I am a big fan of sumo. Iā€™d also out TKD a little higher than they did.

Personally, Iā€™d also put parkour somewhere in thereā€¦ slightly below the middleā€¦though itā€™s not technically a martial art.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Catch or folk should theoretically rank higher. Because you get points for standing back up and escaping.

Which then becomes this phenomenal defence toolset. And also why it is highly considered for MMA with the ground punching

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:

Tier 4:

Tier 5:

Tier 6:

Tier 7:

Tier 8:

Tier 9:

Wow.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Catch or folk should theoretically rank higher. Because you get points for standing back up and escaping.

Which then becomes this phenomenal defence toolset. And also why it is highly considered for MMA with the ground punching
Ill have to look into it at some point. I've heard the term before, but have no idea what the ruleset is, how it's typically trained or how it translates to mma or sd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions