Rank recognition.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
You prefer being called Papa Smurf by your students? LOL!
papa.png
:lfao:

Well, somebody has to wear the red hat afterall,man!LOL!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Outside of the dojo I don't care what you call me. It's a martial arts school, not the military. Inside the school it's a different matter altogether. For everyone's safety the student/instructor relationship must be maintained.

And since we're on the topic I'd like to mention that the parents of my younger students are NEVER required to call me by my title unless they become students themselves.

I actually picked up someone else's students because this instructor put the kid "on a training break" because the PARENT did not call him "master so-and-so".

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our instructors are always instructors, whether in class or outside. We always refer to our GM respectfully (Sir or Sa Bum Nim) regardless of where we are. It is just us paying respect to him.
Likewise, our students tend to refer to their instructors by class title regardless of where they are. It is not demanded, they do it on their own.
We do not expect non students to address us this way. Non students address us as they would anyone else. We are a traditional organization, so we tend to be a little more rigid and and formal in this regard.

Latest Discussions