Rank range in class

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. At my instructor's school classes are divided into beginner (10th gup to 7th gup), intermediate (6th gup to 3rd gup), and advanced (2nd gup to advanced dan levels).

Anyone who is a HIGHER rank can attend a lower ranked class. Thus you will often have 4th dans training in beginner classes and staying through the intermediate class and their own advanced class. Three hours is a lot of training, but the classes are structured where the techniques generally line up with the rank of the class in question. Hence, in the beginning class you'll be doing techniques for white and yellow belts, in the intermediate class it will be green and blue belt techniques and in the advanced class it will be techniques for red and black belts. Going to the beginning and/or intermediate class is an easy way to review lower ranks' techniques.

I'd say that the majority of my instructor's students go to at least one other class than that of their rank. Senior black belts almost always train at least in two classes a night if not three (and the school holds classes on Mondays, Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays).

Pax,

Chris

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Our school used to have the green and blue belts in a sep. class but it ended up always being just a few people showing up so they moved them into the advanced class with brown thru black. The white and yellow are still in a sep. class and a few days a week white thru black are in one class (I usually don't go to those cause it sooo many people in there at one time). I was so proud when I made it into the advanced class at brown belt!
OH! and they have sep. class for the little ones and for the kids.

Last edited:

KickingAngel16

White Belt
Reaction score
We have a class for everyone, beginers(white to orange), advanced(green to black), red, brown, and black belts, and then there is team class for sparring.