Questions regarding MA-80

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow, there's been a fair amount of fire breathing, huffing and puffing here and moralizing about whether you should do this or do that. For me personally, I could care less. I worry alot more about my own personal development in the arts and whether I'm doing my best to plumb the depths of Modern Arnis and passing it along to my students. If I end up excessively worrying about whether another person deserves this or that title or rank, then I'm being distracted from own personal martial arts journey. So what Datu Tim Hartman and SM Dan Anderson did or did not do right does not matter to me. They are pursuing their own martial journey and finding their own way in this world. So it seems to me to be pretty ridiculous and a waste of energy to get all worked up about a matter beyond your control.

Take care,
Brian Johns

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hear, Hear Mr.Johns.
I second that motion! I move to adjourn, any second to the motion to adjourn?

BQ

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Arni, you arguing over the MD vs DDS? I thought they were all medical doctors myself.

No, they're both physicians (along with podiatrists) when the term is used in its broadest sense, but only MDs and DOs are medical doctors (and physicians in the usual sense).

My bone popper has more time in med school than my primary. Just different licencing, I thunk.

It's different licensing. Medical doctors, dentists, chiropractors, etc. have different licenses due to their different scopes of practice (and historical issues). If by "bone popper" you mean a chiropractor, it would be rare for one to have attended med. school (and they may have fewer years of education, as many don't complete the bachelors). They attend chiropractic school instead.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ADMIN NOTICE
This thread is intended to focus on Dan Anderson's MA80 system.
We have copied several of the off-topic posts concerning the questions put to Datu hartman to their own topic, "Grandmaster/Datu Hartman Promotion Questions"
Please go there to discuss Datu Tim Hartman's promotions.

Please return the focus of this thread to Dan Anderson's MA80 system.
Thank you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a quick note. The Sokeboard discussion has been moved to this thread. Any discussion on that should be kept there, so this thread can focus on MA-80.

Thanks,

Mike

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
To revive this, let me ask Dan a question or so.

How does MA80 differ from Modern Arnis?

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To revive this, let me ask Dan a question or so.

How does MA80 differ from Modern Arnis?
The base is Modern Arnis - always has been and always will be.

Several ways it differs are:
1. There is far more emphasis on structure and alignment in what I teach than what I was taught. This is a huge difference in and of itself.
2. A lot of the USA Modern Arnis these days is either middle or close range. MA-80 covers long range as well.
3. The Espada y daga is expanded from what Prof. Presas taught.
4. Much more broad ranged rather than emphasizing one or two aspects (example: tapi-tapi is a portion, not a main emphasis of what I teach).
5. Check hand is much more of a factor than what Prof. Presas stressed.
6. Minor point but several actions of the empty hand anyos have been subtly shifted to align with original Okinawan karate actions or with natural structure.

The most important difference is that it is a Filipino/American art, not just a Filipino art. It has no heirarchal ties to the Philippines. Those are just a few.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2. A lot of the USA Modern Arnis these days is either middle or close range. MA-80 covers long range as well.
3. The Espada y daga is expanded from what Prof. Presas taught.

I'd agree that both of these are usually not covered as much as they should be--esp. the long range. In the early 80s it seemed like we did more largo stuff, and that it then became under-emphasized.

5. Check hand is much more of a factor than what Prof. Presas stressed.

I always felt the use of the live hand was a big thing--grabbing the stick, checking (tulok/tusok), disarming...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How much, if any, of your karate / competition experience is blended in Dan?

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I attended a MARPPIO seminar, there were alot of largo combinations shown.

Remy Jr showed me an old school stick grap-release drill off of the left and right sides

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I attended a MARPPIO seminar, there were alot of largo combinations shown.

Remy Jr showed me an old school stick grap-release drill off of the left and right sides

That is old school and more what was shown in the seventies and eighties.
icon6.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd agree that both of these are usually not covered as much as they should be--esp. the long range. In the early 80s it seemed like we did more largo stuff, and that it then became under-emphasized.

I always felt the use of the live hand was a big thing--grabbing the stick, checking (tulok/tusok), disarming...

Absolutely though Modern Arnis progressed or changed as the Professors emphasis changed.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How much, if any, of your karate / competition experience is blended in Dan?

Lots. Especially in reading how my opponent moves, how to take advantage of positioning, distancing and timing. It plays the most in observational and analytical skills. As to the physical kick/punch, a kick is a kick and a punch is a punch. I don't do tournament moves in my arnis, if that is what you're asking.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, I've no idea what I'm asking..but it's all good. :)
But I'd foggily recalled something about it being a part of the system, and knowing your reputation as the sparring god, figured some of it would be worked in, in an "effectiveness" way...if that makes sense?

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Honestly, I've no idea what I'm asking..but it's all good. :)
But I'd foggily recalled something about it being a part of the system, and knowing your reputation as the sparring god, figured some of it would be worked in, in an "effectiveness" way...if that makes sense?
Bob,

Absolutely. One of the things I was known for in my karate days was being able to read my opponent within seconds. Even now when I do a seminar on Positional Set Up (Hey! The name of a DVD I have for sale on my website! Fancy that!), I will predict what my opponent will do right after we bow in, tell someone off to the side, spar with that person and then ask the person I told what pecent I was right. I usually rate into the low 90% range. I apply the same analytical skills to the investigation and instruction of my arnis.

A HUGE factor (again from my karate background) is how much I apply structure, alignment and 'structure in transition' to my arnis to make it more effective. These are things RP didn't stress all that much, or at least in any scientific manner.

The funny thing is that when you've done martial arts as long as I have and studied the principles of many, many different systems and have cross-trained in others, the influence of one to the next tends to blur. My karate and arnis have cross-influenced the other to a massive degree.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

buguhan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

maybe it could help us all a little if you give us an overview over the MA80 curriculum: what is trained from white to brown belt/black belt!

Looking at the curriculi of WMAA, IMAF (both), MARPPIO and DAV you can see a lot of differences (in name, in action and other things)!

Thanks from Germany

buguhan

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can perhaps put a pdf file of the requirements, I suppose. Since it is only a "shopping list" I'm not sure how it would help to see the difference between the groups and even more important, the differences and similarities in emphasis points. If you wish, let me know.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

buguhan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

even a "shopping list" could be helpful!
It is hard to understand what others are doing in training if you only read their curriculum instead of seeing and doing it yourself, but shortly I started reading the different curriculi of the other Moder Arnis groups and when I have the time and money I'll buy some of their DVDs to see it be myself, and if have more time and money I'll travell to the US to train with them! One of your DVD I already bought on the last DAV Summer Camp, and it is worth the money!

Greetings

buguhan

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay. I'm heading to Florida tomorrow and then to Georgia for about a week. I'll put one up when I return.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Latest Discussions