2003 Modern Arnis Symposium Instructors Short Bios

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by bloodwood

Thanks for the info on Doug Pierre. I commend his way of thinking. Not many would have taken that approach, just the title.

You are quite welcome, Bloodwood. There's not much more that needs to be said.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoctorB

My rationale was then and still is, that rank does not always denote skill and ability within the art.
Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Except for me, of course, as I am not only highly ranked, literate, wonderfully skilled but have a great sense of humor as well. Okay gents, back to bios please.

:D
Yours,
Dan Anderson

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by dearnis.com

My intent when I suggested this thread was not what it has declined into....
I was hoping that the instructors for the event would simply post some information about themeslves, maily for the benefit of those of us who don't know all of them. It doesn't need to be a contest about rank, or anything else. Bram Frank, for example, posted a very humble outline of what he has done for the art.
It is safe to say at this point that I, and I think many others, dont care what this or that person's rank is. Everyone will show up and see what everyone else has, great. However, as a potential consumer, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for exactly what I asked for, short bios of the instructor listing whatever they think is noteworthy.
Chad

Hello Chad,

Your request for short bio's is not unreasonable. It was on my to do list, however the first things are to get done were the training facilities, the housing, a possible banquet hall and pricing, plus insurance. It would be helpful, if someone had asked the potential presenters for that information, directly, rather than having a speculative set of credential put forward. If someone felt that I was not moving fast enough, some help would always be appricated, particularly when it is coordinated with me. Given tha fact that I have a full-time job, each thing has to be done in a particular order based on what my schedule dictates.

The thread has not declined in my opinion it simply did not have to become a discussion thread. If the presenters or a friend would have simply provided the information for our edification and we all kept our comments to ourselves, that would have been sufficent in my opinion. Perhaps the way the thread was moved by Mr. Hartman, wasn't the best, however, I would not attribute any ill will to his post.

The problem is tied once again to the legacy that was left by Professor. He was not a master organizational leader and the IMAF did not have a strong structural format. Without that, the rankings and array of titles that he issued are in some cases quite suspect.

Again we must remember that it was Professor who gave out the titles and rank, without a formal organzational structure, thus it is difficult to know exactly what he meant these things to mean and what prominance to attach to them. Of course the people holding the titles and rank might very well see the matter in an entirely different light.

I fully understand Tim's position with regard to having earned the highest rank - Lakan Anim - via testing in a public venue - that is a laudable achievement. On the other hand, there are people who have been awarded very high rank in Modern Arnis by Professor, whose skill and knowledge levels in Modern Arnis are very questionable, at best. Yet the ranking title and number are equal to or just below what Tim tested to attain.

Therefore, I am not placing any credence in the ranks as an indicator of whether or not someone should be accepted as a Symposium Presenter. Those who indicated that they wish to present were accepted and I have posted their names several times on this forum. In the end, each person will have to decide for themselves if they want to attend the Symposium, based on who is presenting and the fact that this will be the FIRST time that some of Professor's leading students - at some point in time - over a 30 year period will be working together at the same event.

Regardless of rank, title and other credentials presented or not presented, I know most of the people who have indicated an interest in presenting at the Symposium. It will be difficult to find a more representative group of people that can cover the range of years that Professor taught Modern Arnis. Yes, we could add a few others to the list, but there is no reason to believe that those already in place are incapable of presenting the range and variety of the art of Modern Arnis. It will not get a whole lot better than it already is right now. It would be nice if the MoTTs including Delaney would join the group of presenters, but we will go forward whether or not they join in the Symposium.

The fact that some people, particularly those who came into the art after 1990, might not recognize all of the names, should not be a deterrent to attendence. Right now, with just the names listed, there is coverage from Professor's days in RP (1960's) through his USA, Canadian and European teaching career 1974 - 2000.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Dan Anderson

Except for me, of course, as I am not only highly ranked, literate, wonderfully skilled but have a great sense of humor as well. Okay gents, back to bios please.

:D
Yours,
Dan Anderson

Does this mean what you think it means, which is, of course what you meant it to mean, before I was asked not to take this seriously, which I have, in spite of knowing that I shouldn't, I did, I think..., I did..., but then who knows what evil lurks... ?

Yes, Dan, you are correct and the exception.... I think!?

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Perhaps the way the thread was moved by Mr. Hartman, wasn't the best, however, I would not attribute any ill will to his post.

For the record, when it came to my bio I just copied and pasted for my web site. I figure if was good enough for my site it would be good enough for MT. This was not an atempt to shift this thread or say that one person is better than the next.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade

This was not an atempt to shift this thread or say that one person is better than the next.

Methinks it was an inadvertant misinterpretation that this was a thread shift.

DrB,
I truly meant what I said...which is how I said what I said but rather posted instead of saying it because no one was around to hear me...oh, to heck with it. Now I'm shifting the thread.

Back to bios, gents.

Yours,
Dan
:asian:

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Renegade

For the record, when it came to my bio I just copied and pasted for my web site. I figure if was good enough for my site it would be good enough for MT. This was not an atempt to shift this thread or say that one person is better than the next.

I can agree with you, Tim. As I say earlier, I did not believe that there was any ill-will intended. Perhaps the data as reported was and is as close to being acurate as is possible - let's assume for the moment that what you reported for the others who had not posted is accurate in terms of rank and titles, that does not change anything because it is the skill aspect of their presentation that we want to witness at the Symposium.

Everyone needs to remember that one part of the Symposium idea came about because of the very huge question regarding succession in the area of Modern Arnis. Another aspect of the Symposium is directed toward giving people an opportunity to meet and talk face to face. Not only can ideas be discussed, they can be demomstrated - you can't do the latter over a computer keyboard.

A third point to be considered is that Professor had a very long teaching career here in the Western world after a significant tenure in the Philippines. He taught a great number of people. Some stayed with him for long periods of time - 10, 15 and 20 years. A few stayed for nearly 30 and lots more attended seminars and camps for 3, 4, 5, years and left when they got their Lakan/Dayang rankings. Therefore it is quite likely that there are a significant number of "older" students that the "newer" students have NEVER met much less have heard about. Some of those people are on the perspective teaching list.

There is a lot of talk about "tapi-tapi", "cuentada", "de cadena", "flow'" and "art within your art", but what does that all really mean? How similar or dissimilar is all of that stuff? How are we going to find out the answers to those questions without having a Symposium?

Some of us are quite aware of the range and diversity of the art and some of us are locked into what Professor did during that time period that we were attemding camps and seminars with him. Some of us equate Modern Arnis with Professor Presas - it is not possible to have one without the other. Others of us see Modern Arnis see as a vehicle and Professor Presas as the driving instructor; once we learned how to drive, we wanted and needed to take side trips to other places. Professor opened some door, but we had to do the work that it took to understand how Modern Arnis could be used.

So no matter want line of logic or reasoning you want to take, the reality that is unchangable still faces us all - Professor Presas, is gone, the art that he created and nurtured is here within us and if this art is to grow and survive as a living legacy, then we need to get our collective selves working toward understanding one another more and bickering less. One way to get started toward the former goal is to attend the Symposium.

There will be nay-sayers, there awill be people who want to de-ride this concept, because it is not something that professor would have encouraged. He did not want his leading instructors and hosts talking to one another, he avoided resolving conflicts between his leading instructors, because it was easier to tell people, "Do not worry, it is nothing..., you are....". Some of you know exactly what i am refering to and you can fill in the words, based on your own experience with Professor.

The Symposium will give us the opportunity to talk, train, observe and answer some questions for others as well as ourselves. The Symposium is going to give us an opportunity see what some others have done with and within the art of Modern Arnis. No matter what else we do, there is no way we are ever going to have Professor again, so the choices are fairly limited:

1. Move forward and make the art for ourselves
2. Try to find a subsitute for Professor within Modern Arnis
3. Look backwards and try to keep the art as we found it
4. Bicker and fight one another claiming Professor told you
this, that or the other, while denying the same to others

Each of us has to make a choice. Life circumstances will not allow us to stand still, hide and pretend that nothing has changed. It really is your call as individuals to make, but the Symposium goes on regardless, because Dan Anderson, Rich Parsons, Richard Curren, Bram Frank and I have promised to be there, even if we only have one another to train and hang out with on July 11, 12 and 13, 2003. besides with a group that small, I know exactly where to go for the VERY BEST roast beef on kimmelwick, with draft beer in Buffalo. Too bad the rookies only know about Buffalo Wings - dime a dozen and get them anywhere!

So onward and upward people... come to Buffalo or stay home on the weekend of July 11 - 13, I will be at ECC City Campus, hosting the Symposium, hope to see you there.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dr. B.;
Understand that I am not blaming anyone; I just feel that for whatever reason the thread has wandered off-topic (not that the discussion is bad, just not what I was seeking...)
Also my intent was not to put the posting of the bios on you; at least half the proposed instructors post here from time to time, or have direct students who do.
The rank issue is not important to me, though it is to some. I am more interested in everyone's involvement with the art, who was around when, etc.
And thanks for making the effort to host this thing; I can only imagine the headaches you will have on the way!

Chad

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by dearnis.com

Dr. B.;
Understand that I am not blaming anyone; I just feel that for whatever reason the thread has wandered off-topic (not that the discussion is bad, just not what I was seeking...)
Also my intent was not to put the posting of the bios on you; at least half the proposed instructors post here from time to time, or have direct students who do.
The rank issue is not important to me, though it is to some. I am more interested in everyone's involvement with the art, who was around when, etc.
And thanks for making the effort to host this thing; I can only imagine the headaches you will have on the way!

Chad

Thanks for you post, Chad. I agree that with the exception of three posts, the question(s) that you wanted answeredd have not been addressed. Perhaps, we can get that corrected, with some help from our friends.

Let's ask the question a different way, per your suggestion above:

We would like to have each prospective instructor for the 2003 Symposium, provide us with a short bio explaining their involement within the art of Modern Arnis and any other martial arts training that they have attained.

We would also like the information to bee posted by the instructor if possible or through a student/ friend, if the instructor is not a member of MartialTalk.com.

It should not be difficult to get the requested information. I know that several people on this forum have contact with Shishir Innocalla; Datu Kelly Worden, posts here from time to time as does David Ng and Dan McConnell. It should not be difficult to contact the Presas', Demetrio, Remy, Jr., and Mary Ann,
perhaps one e-mail to any of them could result in the information.
We already have information from Dan Anderson, Bram Frank and Tim Hartman, so we can accomplish the goal with some help.
The bottom line on the credential is that they *are not debatable*! We will accept the information as given!

As for the headaches, yeah, I have them from time to time, but that goes with trying to organize this Symposium. I am actually looking forward to the event, in spite of the ocassional problems and ego conflicts. I believe that we have some very serious and dedicated Modern Arnis people on this forum. There are some very real and legitimate differences of opinion, however, most of those differencs are resolveable, if we can come together and talk face to face. Once people see the techniques and drills, they will very quickly understand that the differences are not as great as some people have imagined.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Once people see the techniques and drills, they will very quickly understand that the differences are not as great as some people have imagined.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Too true. That statement I think we can take to the bank.

Dan

D

dng1032

Hello folks just posting a short bio...
FYI, I am still planning to attend the symposium at this point in time. But I have recently started a new day job as a Fraud Investigator for Alltel Communications...I don't know if I'll have the Vacation time to take off yet...I'll keep you posted...with running the school and working as a Police Officer, and with this new job as a Fraud Investigator, I am pretty busy.

I have been training in Modern Arnis for close to 13 years. I started under Master Rick Ward in North Carolina in his Modern Arnis Program and his Sil-Lum Kung-fu Program. He introduced me to the Professor in Charlotte, NC at Irwin Carmichael's in 1990. I am a Filipino born in the US. My parents moved to the US in 1962. My wife is from GS City, Mindinao Philippines.

I hold the rank of 4th dan Black Belt in Modern Arnis under the Professor. I hold the rank of 3rd Degree Black Belt in Sil-Lum Kung-fu under Master Rick Ward and I am a certified Tai Chi Instructor.

I have a BA degree in Psychology w/ a minor in Sociology.
I also have a BA degree in Sociology w/ a minor in German.

I was inducted into the Filipino Martial Arts Hall of Fame in 1996 run by G.M. Gaudiosa Ruby, Comjuka Kali, El Paso, TX.

I have been a Police Officer for the Past 7 Years about 3 years fulltime on the line and the last 4 years part-time Investigator.

I have run my martial arts school for over 10 years in Raleigh, NC.

I currently am a member of the Board of Dir. of IMAF INC. , (Schea). And a member of International Kung-fu Arnis Association under Master Rick Ward.

I have a very open mind to all martial art styles especially Filipino Martial Arts.

Hope this gives some folks some idea of who I am...

Thanks,
David Ng

Hope to make it in July 2003

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was long time hesitant if I shall post such a long biography, but I decided to do so to show my long time involvement in the FMA and Modern Arnis.

Sorry if it is too long.

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

The Filipino Martial Arts and Modern Arnis biography of
Datu Dieter Knüttel, Germany

I have outlined the mayor events that are FMA related in this biography. There are many things, that cannot be put in bullet Form.
In the last 20 years more that 35 mayor articles and technical series of Modern Arnis were published in the German martial arts magazines. Many more small articles. I appeared several times on the German TV and in German radio and 4 times on the cover of one of the large German martial arts magazines.
Since 20 years I teach about 20 Modern Arnis weekend-seminars and 3 ? 4 Black belt seminars a year. I teach in 2 Modern Arnis clubs twice a week in regular classes, in one club since 1981!
About 3000 students went through different levels of our Modern Arnis program in the DAV, over the years, with about 1000 being a current member. I have examined more that 100 of my students to black belts in Modern Arnis. My students rank up to 5th Dan. I have many students, that are with me since almost 20 years, my long time student is Hans Karrer, 5th Dan Modern Arnis who is my Arnis student since 23 years.
I am sure I missed out some things, but I think you will get a good overview over my Modern Arnis and FMA activities during the last 24 years.

1960 born in Berlin, Germany
1978 passing the first black belt exam in Kung Fu
1978 beginning of the Arnis training with Jackson Cui Brocka (1980 Outstanding Filipino overseas ? sports), student of Ernesto Presas, participated at the first open Arnis seminars in Germany.
1979 graduated from high school
1979 one year stay in Australia, appointed Shaolin Kung-Fu chief instructor for Australia by the International Kung Fu Association.
1980 taught the first Arnis seminar in Dubbo/NSW/Australia
1981 passed the exam of 1st Dan in Arnis under J. Cui Brocka as one of the first German to receive this degree
1981 started to teach regulary 20 to 30 Modern Arnis weekend seminars a year all over Germany until today
1982 passed the exam to 2nd Dan in Arnis under J. Cui Brocka
1983 3 month training in the Philippines to train with: Ernesto Presas, Roberto Presas, Roland Dantes, Chrestion Vasquez, Rene Tongson, Rodel Dagoog, Tony Plotria,
Freddie Alfaro, Felimon "Momoy" Canete, Dionisio Canete and others
1983 received 5th Dan Modern Arnis from Roland Dantes, Rodel Dagoog and Willie Annang
1983 received 5th Dan Doce Pares from Felimon "Momoy" Canete
1983 received 4th Dan Modern Arnis from Ernesto Presas
1984 introduced Modern Arnis to Denmark. Taught Modern Arnis seminars there regulary twice a year for the next 8 years
1984 organized first 4 week seminar tour the Ernesto Presas to Germany to teach Modern Arnis in Germany. Many more seminar tours of Ernesto Presas that I organized and initiated followed in the later years, leading also to seminars in Denmark, Sweden and
Norway.
1984 started to organize and teach seminars for Modern Arnis black belts only
1984 received 5th Dan Modern Arnis from Ernesto Presas
1984 received examiner´s license of Ernesto Presas up to 4th Dan
1984 founded the first german Arnis club in Essen: Essener KSC Manila e.V.
1985 founding member of the German Arnis Association (Deutscher Arnis Verband, DAV), that has the aim of spreading Modern Arnis in Germany and Europe. Elected Modern Arnis chief instructor for the DAV from 1985 since today The DAV is one of, if not even the largest FMA Association in Germany and Europe
1985 introduced Modern Arnis to Sweden, Norway and Switzerland, teaching seminars there
1985 appeared with Ernesto Presas in an Arnis documentation in German TV
1985 taught Modern Arnis on a seminar tour in Australia
1986 3 months trainings trip to the Philippines to train with: Ernesto Presas, Roberto Presas,
Roland Dantes, Chrestion Vasquez, Rene Tongson
1986 Co-organized the First European-Philippine Training Camp with Ernesto Presas on Hundred Islands with participants from Germany, Denmark, Norway and Switzerland
1988 with Modern Arnis on the cover of the largest Martial arts magazine in Germany
1988 graduated from the german sports university with the Master of Arts (MA) degree in sports science: The thesis was about the "Introduction of the Filipino Martial Art Modern Arnis with the support of a video production"
1988 released the first Modern Arnis instructional video in German and English.
1988 demonstratef Modern Arnis during the 1st Budo-Gala in Germany (1000 spectators)
1989 released the 1st, 3 volume edition of a Modern Arnis instructional video series about the Modern Arnis grading syllabus in Germany in German and English
1989 with Modern Arnis on the cover of the largest Martial Arts magazine in Germany
1988 released the first Balisong-videos in Europe in German and English.
1989 Founded ABANICO Video Production to produce quality Martial Arts instructional videos in German and English. Produced from 1989 to 2002 more than 85 full length Martial Arts instructional videos, with 35 FMA related titles about Modern Arnis, JKD and Kali, Doce Pares, Inayan Serrada, Kadena de Mano, Sinawali, Larga Mano, Rapid Arnis, Balisong, Kali Sikaran and self defence with authors and masters like Bob Breen/England, Percival Pableo and Danny Guba, Philippines, Suro Mike Inay/USA, Pat O´Malley and John Harvey/England, Jeff Espinous/France and Johan Skalberg/Sweden and myself
1989 headed the 1st of from now on bi-annually Modern Arnis Summer-camps in Germany. 7 days of Modern Arnis teaching (1989: 80 participants, 1991: 115, 1993: 85, 1995: 90, 1997: 90, 1999: 80, 2001: 100)
1989 demonstrated Modern Arnis during the 2nd Budo-Gala in Germany (8000 spectators). Also performed the opening- and the end demonstration with my Modern Arnis group
1989 received, together with Chris Traish/Australia as the only 2 persons, the "Sultan Kudarat Award" by the IPMAF and Ernesto Presas "For his dedicated efforts and unselfish cooperation towards Arnis Unification in the Philippines and the World"
1990 with Modern Arnis on the cover of the largest Martial Arts magazine in Germany
1990 organized a Dionisio Canete - Doce Pares seminar in Essen/Germany
1991 demonstrated Modern Arnis during the second major Budo-Gala in Germany (13.000 spectators). Also performed the opening demonstration
1991 taught Modern Arnis to the Police in Spain
1991 appeared in the Spanish Martial Arts magazine
1991 organized the first of 4 Suro Mike Inay - Serrada & Kadena de Mano seminar in Germany over the next 10 years
1992 gave Modern Arnis exhibitions with my Modern Arnis demo-team during Kick-Boxing events and Budo-Galas in different cities in Germany, with several thousand spectators.
1992 released the first Arnis-based self-defence videos in Europe in German and English.
1992 gave Modern Arnis exhibitions with my Modern Arnis demo-team during Budo-Galas in Rotterdam/Netherlands, Gothenburg/Sweden and Tromsö/Norway
1992 appeared with Modern Arnis in a martial arts magazine in the Netherlands
1992 taught a Modern Arnis seminar in London/England
1992 taught Modern Arnis on a seminar tour in Australia, also appearing on Australian TV with Modern Arnis
1994 associated the DAV with Grandmaster Remy A. Presas
1994 taught Modern Arnis on a seminar tour in the US in Whichita/Kansas, Tacoma/Washington state and San Francisco/California.
1994 organized a Grandmaster Remy Presas Modern Arnis seminar in Essen/Germany with 115 participants. 12 of my students passed the exam to 1st , 2nd and 3rd Dan Modern Arnis under the eyes of Grandmaster Remy Presas, Dr. Randi Shea and Al Garza (both Texas/USA).
1994 received the confirmation of the 5th Dan Modern Arnis from Grandmaster Remy Presas
1995 released the 2nd, 5 volume edition of a Modern Arnis instructional video series about the Modern Arnis grading syllabus in Germany in German and English
1996 organized a Grandmaster Remy Presas Modern Arnis seminar in Kassel with 70 participants: 17 of my students passed the exam to 1st , 2nd or 3rd Dan Modern Arnis under the eyes of Grandmaster Remy Presas.
1996 received the 6th Dan Modern Arnis and the title DATU (of Modern Arnis) from Grandmaster Remy Presas as the 4th person worldwide and the only person in Europe. Becoming the "Modern Arnis Representative for Europe"
1996 taught a Modern Arnis seminar in Paris/France and Salzburg/Austria
1998 taught Modern Arnis on a seminar Tour in the US in Hartford/Conneticut, Philadelphia/Pennsylvania and Houston/Texas
1999 taught Modern Arnis to a special forces group of the Austrian Army in Vienna
1999 organized a Grandmaster Remy Presas Modern Arnis seminar in Essen with 135 participants. 28 of my students passed the exam to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Dan Modern Arnis under the eyes of Grandmaster Remy Presas, Datu David Hoffman and Jeff Delaney (both/USA).
2000 demonstrated Modern Arnis with a large demo-team of the DAV during the Millennium-Budo-Gala in front of 12.000 spectators in Dortmund/Germany
2001 released the 3rd, 5 volume edition of a Modern Arnis instructional video series about the Modern Arnis grading syllabus in Germany in German and English
2001 visited Grandmaster Remy Presas during his last days in Victoria/Canada. He died one day after I left
2001 released the Modern Arnis Tapi-Tapi video in German and English, and as DVD in German.
2002 initiator, co-organizer and instructor of the 1st European Filipino Martial Arts Festival in Mönchengladbach/Germany. A seminar weekend, with 18 different FMA styles and 450 participants from more than 10 different countries. Acknowledged as the largest and most multi style FMA seminar worldwide up to now.
2002 organized Roland Dantes Modern Arnis seminars in Essen and Darmstadt/Germany. The seminar in Essen was for Modern Arnis brown- and black belts only and had 65
participants. 25 of my students passed the exam to 1st, 2nd and 3rd, Dan Modern Arnis under the eyes of Senior Master Roland Dantes
2002 received the appointment as the commissioner for Germany from Arnis philippines (ARPI)

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Dieter

Hi,

I was long time hesitant if I shall post such a long biography, but I decided to do so to show my long time involvement in the FMA and Modern Arnis.

Sorry if it is too long.

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

The Filipino Martial Arts and Modern Arnis biography of
Datu Dieter Knüttel, Germany

I have outlined the mayor events that are FMA related in this biography. There are many things, that cannot be put in bullet Form.
In the last 20 years more that 35 mayor articles and technical series of Modern Arnis were published in the German martial arts magazines. Many more small articles. I appeared several times on the German TV and in German radio and 4 times on the cover of one of the large German martial arts magazines.
Since 20 years I teach about 20 Modern Arnis weekend-seminars and 3 ? 4 Black belt seminars a year. I teach in 2 Modern Arnis clubs twice a week in regular classes, in one club since 1981!
About 3000 students went through different levels of our Modern Arnis program in the DAV, over the years, with about 1000 being a current member. I have examined more that 100 of my students to black belts in Modern Arnis. My students rank up to 5th Dan. I have many students, that are with me since almost 20 years, my long time student is Hans Karrer, 5th Dan Modern Arnis who is my Arnis student since 23 years.
I am sure I missed out some things, but I think you will get a good overview over my Modern Arnis and FMA activities during the last 24 years.

(Deleted some material for brevity - JB)

Thanks for the very detailed set of information, Dieter. It is good to see your diverse martial arts background.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dieter;

Didn't realize you were a Berliner.

(OK, bad humor from a Kennedy statement.... I havent had my coffee yet.)

:D :D

Actually thanks for the post; length is fine.
Chad

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize you were a Berliner.

Hi Chad,

I am well aware of this Kennedy statement on the balcony of the city hall in Berlin. It is also in Germany a very famous sentence.

But actually this is more funny than you think. A "Berliner" in Germany is, besides a person from Berlin, a Doghnut without a hole in the middle but filled with jam.

Very tasty.

Just like a "hamburger" is a person from Hamburg.

Anyway, I still havbe good memories of you from Professors Mount Holyoke sumercamp 1997 and my seminar in Philadelphia in 1998.

Hope to see you again in Buffaly

Cheers

Dieter

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad to provide some humor.
Once upon a time I actually had passable German, but lack of use takes a toll on language skills!
:cool:

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Jerome Barber wrote in another thread

Thus far the people who have indicated that they are interested in participating as instructors are:
Dan Anderson
Bram Frank
Dan McConnell
Tim Hartman
Demetrio Presas
with possibly Remy Presas, Jr. & Mary Ann Presas
Shishir Inocalla
Kelly Worden
Peter Vargas
Dawud Muhammad
Tom Bolden
David Ng
Bruce Chiu

Well, I was very early indicating, that I would be willing to come from Germany to Buffalo, teaching at the symposium.
My name used to be on the list too and I thought that I should be there.

Now I did not find my name included on the list any more.

Please let me know if my attendence there is not welcomed any more.

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Dieter

Jerome Barber wrote in another thread

Well, I was very early indicating, that I would be willing to come from Germany to Buffalo, teaching at the symposium.
My name used to be on the list too and I thought that I should be there.

Now I did not find my name included on the list any more.

Please let me know if my attendence there is not welcomed any more.

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

Dieter,

I am sorry that I left you name off my list - I was doing the list from the top of my head just to make some people aware of the diversity of talent that might be appearing at the Symposium - the error is totally mine is not an indication of any intent or attempt to remove anyone from the list of instructors. I will be asking for formal committments after the first of the year, but for now I am just noting that the listed people expressed an interest in teaching at the symposium.

Most certinly I would love to have you on the program, both because you are a datu in Modern Arnis and you also have trained with both Professor and Ernesto. There are not many who can make that claim.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Jerome,

thanks for clearing that point. I am glad you only forgot to put me on the list and that there was no intent.
I will look forward for the Smposium.

Regards

Dieter

Latest Discussions