Questions of wieght training?

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
So if you wanted to train for speed (is speed what you refer to as endurance, or the increasing amount of time it would take for latic acid to increase). If I wanted to train purely for speed and explosivity what kind of training, reps and sets am I looking at?
How fast should the contraction be?

Regards

The lifts should be performed quickly but with control. Technique is very important. To insure proper technique and to get the desired training effect, use light weights. For example, I'm 5'10" and 212 lbs. and I typically use 20 lbs dumbbells. I do a series of exercises as a non-stop circuit for usually 2 cycles / sets for speed strength. However, you can use the same series of exercises but reduce the number of reps, increase the number cycles / sets, and reduce the rest time (e.g. 3 reps instead of 6 reps, and 4 cycles instead of 2).

For example, Coach Istvan Javorek has the folliwing exercises in his "Dumbbell Complex #3":

Curls, Upright row, High Pull Snatch, Parallel Press, Bent Over Row, Squat Push Press, Alternating Lunge, and Special Good Morning.

Check out this video link demonstrating a great speed strength dumbbell workout. Take note of the athlete's tempo and posture.

Dumbbell Complex #3

All the best,

Latest Discussions