Black Belt Questions

OP
R

rainbows

cali_tkdbruin said:
BTW, let me add to the discussion, I'm testing for my 2nd dan on May 7th. I'm pumped and hard-core for this opportunity!!!
Good luck with the test! :asian:

Earning a first degree black belt only means that you are maybe motivated enough to begin thinking about really getting serious about the art.
Agreed. I've just passed first dan and that's exactly how I feel about it. I've just started learning the first black belt pattern, Kwang-Gae, and I just love it to pieces. As much as I liked the ITF colour belt patterns, the black belt ones are amazing. :asian:

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
BTW, let me add to the discussion, I'm testing for my 2nd dan on May 7th. I'm pumped and hard-core for this opportunity!!! If the practitioners from my dojang are reading this, always remember, Go hard Doggs!!! Being in this realm, that is training in the MAs in general, and for me training in TKD specifically is infinite.
Good luck! What do you need to do for your test?

Miles

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Miles said:
Good luck! What do you need to do for your test?

Miles
Thanks Miles. :asian:

Well let me see, and I won't try to bore all yall sportsfans too much with all the minor details but for our test it encompasses pretty much a bit of everything TKD related given the time we've been training in the art.

Some of the things we need to know include (Kibon poomse) Ki Cho Hyung, 1-8 Taeguek and 1-8 Pal Gwe poomse, Koryo and Keumgang poomse, long staff hyungs, various self-defense techniques to defend against being attacked from in front, from behind and with weapons, various hand and foot techniques, stances, falling techs, terminology. We'll also be scrapping, err sparring. That's my favorite part, test or no test! I always look forward to sparring class.

Oh yeah, there's also the board breaking. :xtrmshock The Sabumnim says there will be 22+ boards we'll need to crack using our various hand and foot techniques. Most of them will consist of multi-station breaks. So, for example, we'll do a front kick, back-kick, skip side kick and back hook kick, one right after the other, then set up for the next multi-station break.

Then we do various cardio exercises just to see if we're in good shape. And, it's topped off with push-ups. The SBM mentioned 200+. I think there's much more that I overlooked I'm sure but this is the jist of it. Sounds like fun huh???

I think most people would say that it's difficult. Our test may not be as not as hard as BB tests administered by other TKD dojangs, or with other martial arts, but, if you're not a practitioner it's killer that's for sure. In addition, I remember after I took my first dan test a while back, my fists and feet were all bruised and blooded up afterward. In fact my whole body was sore for a few days after that test, but it was a good kind of hurt. :rofl:

Anyway, I do it because I truly enjoy training in the MAs. It's great fun, bumps and bruises and all. I'm looking forward to moving up to the next rung on the MA ladder... :asian:

Latest Discussions