Question for Rick Tew Part Du

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
getgoin said:
He makes no claim of liniege, shows no certifications, I don't see a problem. He doesn't put his rankings and history out, so no false claims are made. Many people out there from western arts are in the same boat. Even if they are certified, who certified them in the first place, plus who certified the first person to certifie anybody anyways, they just created something and said they were the masters of the art. If what he teaches works thats all that matters, that is the most important part of martial training. If he wants to create the grandest of all grandest sytems to ever walk upon this earth, let him. If it works people will hail him as a creator of something good, if it doesn't people will brandish him a liar and a fraud. Also age has very to do with it, Bruce Lee was what, in his late twenties early thirties when he created JKD. Steven Hawking was in his late twenties when he proved general relativity and early thirties when he proved blackholes radiate energy. Now those are two exeptional people of our time but maybe Mr. Tew can somehow come close, who knows.

If you are thinking about studying his system, go to a seminar (when you return state side that is) to learn and talk to him face to face. It's real hard to walk away from someone when they are talking to you, it's much easier to not answer a email or not return a call. Best of luck in search.

Well, I can only speak for myself here, but if I'm going to invest time and money, then I want to make sure that I'm not joining a McDojo!!! Now, I am NOT saying that Tew is a fake and I'm not saying he's legit...people can form their own opinion. However, when people ask for qualifications and they dont get them, a red flag gets raised. Maybe its the 'secrecy' of Ninjutsu, I don't know, but it seems like no straight answer can be obtained.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The longer you stay in the Martial arts world ,the more it changes. As each practioner grows and start their own style schools,we have a so call "new art" being presented. Is there really anything new? or a mix of mix call new? Each person has the right to start their own school/style, and can name it anything they want...right! Rick Tew is no different.

As long as you enjoy the teachings, the training, and you feel you are learning, the name and system name is not that important. The best coaches do not make the best players. But if the teacher/coach helps you become better isn't this what we want?

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, The longer you stay in the Martial arts world ,the more it changes.
Really??? So you think people punch differently now then they did 200 yrs ago? Do fingers work differently now than they did 200 yrs ago. Shall I continue???

still learning said:
As each practioner grows and start their own style schools,we have a so call "new art" being presented. Is there really anything new? or a mix of mix call new? Each person has the right to start their own school/style, and can name it anything they want...right!
No. Wrong. Some names are trademarked - for example. And whereas there aren't laws that make you prove you have legitimate lineage here in the US - it certainly is very cowardly and fraudulent to claim you teach something you don't know. It is called "lying" in real life...

still learning said:
As long as you enjoy the teachings, the training, and you feel you are learning, the name and system name is not that important. The best coaches do not make the best players. But if the teacher/coach helps you become better isn't this what we want?
Ah - the old "ends justifies the means" argument. I was hoping you would get around to it. Please see the MOUNTAINS of evidence that trash your vantage point - in Martial Arts we **should** be held to a standard of Honor and Integrity. Show me the "honor" in naming your new "art" something you have no business naming it.

Patiently waiting...

-Daniel

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
My third email to Rick Tew:
Hey Robert -

Here is the quote from Kevin:
Kevin said:
Unfortunately I have given you all the information that I know regarding Sensei Rick Tew.
It seems to me that if you email Rick directly and get Kevin - and if Kevin doesn't know...

...then doesn't it make sense that Kevin should ask Rick? I assume Kevin has some level of contact with Rick - neh?

Maybe not - perhaps this is uncommon-sense...

-Daniel

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it is very interesting that the "used car salesman" comment was made, and that the same feeling was shared by at least three people... Robert, Shizen and myself.

The "used car" issue is a perfect template for what is wrong with Tew and other similar cases... If I was buying a car, would I simply take the salesman's word that the car was in mint condition, that it was only driven on Sundays by a little old lady on her way to church, that every single tune up, oil change and maintenance appointment was made without fail, etc.?

Certainly not. And to expect someone to swallow everything that the used car salesman says is the height of assumption.

If a person lays claim to a lineage from Indonesia, their better damn well be more than a lunch at an Indonesian buffet in their background. Their better be a hell of a lot of Indonesians in that lineage, with legitimate backgrounds themselves and some way to back up the claim via an objective third party, to substantiate such a claim. If this can't be done, that person needs to brace themselves for the deluge of unbelievers asking hard questions. Expecting them to simply accept that "actions speak louder than words" is a real lark and places that person's hopes on the ignorance of the consumer.

In my mind, that marks that individual as an unscrupulous, unethical sham. Good businessmen don't rely on the ignorance of their customers to sell their products nor services. Good businessmen don't attempt to cloud the details of their product/service from consumers, and in fact good businessmen go out of their way to put out information about what it is they sell! Hiding details, or deliberately failing to answer questions with quality, detailed answers, makes me wonder what they are trying to keep from the public.

Is it really so different in this situation?

It isn't a question of "haters" (God, how I hate that cutesy, teenybopper slang term!), but a question of reputation, ethics, and good business practices. Only in the martial arts business world do businessmen and women expect their customers/students to suspend their good common sense and judgement in favor of some fanciful make-believe story of hidden teachers on misty mountains or prodigy-like insight and skill...

Sorry, but for a man "in his thirties," I find it really, really hard to believe that, beyond mere physical talent, Mr. Tew or anyone in a similar situation could have accumulated sufficient understanding and knowledge through training under a teacher proven to be a fraud to enable him to "create" anything of genuine worth. I have more respect for Mr. Bussey, because he at least had earned a few black belts (though while he was still in his later teen years) in reasonably respectable arts before he started down the "Bussey Style" path.

Whatever. As I've said before, people get exactly what they deserve... If they are okay living in a fantasy world where their common sense and judgement are not welcome, good on 'em. They just better not expect me to believe the same things they accept as reality...

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
DWeidman said:
Show me the "honor" in naming your new "art" something you have no business naming it.

So, if I am an American that speaks Spanish, and I study a Chinese art while wearing a Korean uniform, can I then justify naming my own "creation" with a Japanese name?

Whatever... Typical American narrow-mindedness... "I can use, mispronounce and mistranslate a word to mean whatever I mean it to mean, regardless of what language it may have originally come from, regardless of how it is really spelled, or what it may really mean to native speakers of that language."

B********! And I'd love for you to find a way to show me that it isn't...

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Getgoin: "He makes no claim of liniege, shows no certifications, I don't see a problem. He doesn't put his rankings and history out, so no false claims are made."

Except the claim to teach ninjutsu.

If someone doesn't put their rankings and history out, then that means they either don't have any, or they are ashamed of them. To claim to be a teacher and not show any credentials is suspicious.

"Many people out there from western arts are in the same boat. Even if they are certified, who certified them in the first place, plus who certified the first person to certifie anybody anyways, they just created something and said they were the masters of the art."

This is a good point; however, if they have certification, then at least you're able to look to where they got that certification to see if it's legit. If they have none and made up their own art / style, then as long as they are honest and say so, no big deal. In that case, lineage means nothing because they have none, and all you have to judge them on is ability. Their style with thrive or fail because of that. If it thrives, then eventually they are going to pass it on to the next generation, and ta-da! lineage. True, all arts started somewhere with one person doing their own thing, but they had to have learned their skills somehow - either they made it all up themselves / self-taught, or someone else taught them. Whichever way it was, if they are honest about it, more people are likely to take it seriously and pursue it.

It does matter.

"If what he teaches works thats all that matters, . . ."

No, you're right that that is "the most important part of martial training," but that is not the only thing that matters.

"If he wants to create the grandest of all grandest sytems to ever walk upon this earth, let him. If it works people will hail him as a creator of something good, if it doesn't people will brandish him a liar and a fraud."

No, but you got the first part right. If it fails then people will say that he created an art, but it's not "the grandest of all." People will brandish him a liar and a fraud only if he lies and makes fruadulent claims.

In the case of Mr. Tew, I have no problem with what he does except claim to teach ninjutsu and use words like "sensei" without lineage to Japan. He studied multiple styles - great, he started his own system and called it Rick Tew's Martial Science - great, he may have learned a little ninjutsu from Robert Bussey's large though still limited experience - great. Does all that give him the credible right to claim to teach ninjutsu? Ehh, almost. Just call it Martial Science. People are happy with the training they receive. Mr. Tew is talented and successful, he doesn't need to cling to popular buzzwords like "ninja training" to attract students - or does he?

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Forgot to touch on this in my previous reply:

Matt Stone: "Only in the martial arts business world do businessmen and women expect their customers/students to suspend their good common sense and judgement in favor of some fanciful make-believe story of hidden teachers on misty mountains or prodigy-like insight and skill..."

Not so, it also occurs in religion.

But that is completely off-topic . . . or is it? I saw someone else mentioned cult-like behavior.

Is this a case of the martial arts business world uncomfortably having a lot in common with organized religion?

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I see how this whole “make up your own style” stuff works now. If anyone ask for any info on your training completely dodge the question, if the keep asking….get indignant.

Kevin's reply to my last email:

Hello Robert,

Based on your last email, I've come to the conclusion that CMS is not right for you.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at this email address for the quickest response.

Thank you and have a great day!
-Kevin
www.martialartsupply.com
www.climbhigh5.com
www.totalwarrior.com

And my reply to this email........

Yes it would seem so.
I am used to dealing with honest upright people and not the kind that can’t answer simple questions about their training.
Then when asked to clarify get defensive……

Regards,

Robert

If someone can’t answer simple questions about their training or their art what do you think they would do with an even more involved question regarding some technique???

Speaking of cars and salesmen……..I wonder if Mercedes or Rolls Royce got the reputation they deserve by being deceptive when asked honest questions about their cars.

I can see it now……..
Customer: What kind of tires come on the car
Salesman: Would you look at that paint job….really sweeeeet aint it?
Customer: Yes, it is but what kind of tires are those?
Salesman: This little baby can really go fast…..how about a test drive?
Customer: Sounds fine, but what about the tires….what kind are they?
Salesman: Based on your question, I've come to the conclusion that car is not right for you.

G

getgoin

Shizen Shigoku said:
This is a good point; however, if they have certification, then at least you're able to look to where they got that certification to see if it's legit. If they have none and made up their own art / style, then as long as they are honest and say so, no big deal. In that case, lineage means nothing because they have none, and all you have to judge them on is ability. Their style with thrive or fail because of that. If it thrives, then eventually they are going to pass it on to the next generation, and ta-da! lineage. True, all arts started somewhere with one person doing their own thing, but they had to have learned their skills somehow - either they made it all up themselves / self-taught, or someone else taught them. Whichever way it was, if they are honest about it, more people are likely to take it seriously and pursue it.

It does matter.

"If what he teaches works thats all that matters, . . ."

No, you're right that that is "the most important part of martial training," but that is not the only thing that matters.
This post will probably tick off a couple of people, lets keep the flaming down to a dull roar, these are only my opinions.

Liniege and certification mean nothing. All that show is who trained before you. Whats important is how you train today. I know black belt that come from "ligit" systems that couldn't fight off a child for milk money. I looked at tew's webpage and I read a handfull of passages that contained the word ninjutsu, he drops no ones name or any rank he may or may not have trained with.
My Professor has his 9th dan from from Thomas Young, the same guy who promoted William K.S. Chow to Black Belt. I have my 5th dan from him hanging on my wall. That doesn't make me any better of a martial artist that I can show where I learned or what I learned.
The thing that is most important (and this comes to second part) is I can apply it in combat. In a real life situation were I am protecting my family or friends from harm. That is how martial arts came around, in war.
There is no other good reason you could give me for studying martial arts. I don't get kicked in the head, slammed on the mat or choked to learn how to be a better person. Being a better person is why I read the bible and go to church for. This stuff about discipline and respect are a great selling tools but you get the same result from any form of hard study whether it be educational, physical or military.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
highest rank in dux ryu?
20 years creating tew ryu?
5th dan in hapkido?

did he discover time travel?

it seems as if all avenues lead to the same place.......

shawn

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
getgoin said:
This post will probably tick off a couple of people, lets keep the flaming down to a dull roar, these are only my opinions.

Liniege and certification mean nothing. 1)All that show is who trained before you. Whats important is how you train today. I know black belt that come from "ligit" systems that couldn't fight off a child for milk money. 2)I looked at tew's webpage and I read a handfull of passages that contained the word ninjutsu, he drops no ones name or any rank he may or may not have trained with.
My Professor has his 9th dan from from Thomas Young, the same guy who promoted William K.S. Chow to Black Belt. I have my 5th dan from him hanging on my wall. That doesn't make me any better of a martial artist that I can show where I learned or what I learned.
The thing that is most important (and this comes to second part) is I can apply it in combat. In a real life situation were I am protecting my family or friends from harm. That is how martial arts came around, in war.
There is no other good reason you could give me for studying martial arts. I don't get kicked in the head, slammed on the mat or choked to learn how to be a better person. Being a better person is why I read the bible and go to church for. This stuff about discipline and respect are a great selling tools but you get the same result from any form of hard study whether it be educational, physical or military.

1) Exactly…so why does he hide it?
2) I saw it too and think he should call his art Rick Tew’s TKD in black PJs since that’s what it looks like. He drops no names because the person he trained with is a known liar. Not exactly a good “marketing tool” to say “ya, I trained with one of the biggest known liars in martial arts history”.
What a great way to instill confidence in prospective students. :rolleyes:

Whether you “claim” it or not, pretending to be something your not or offering something that is not what you say it is is still called lying….it doesn’t get broken down any simpler than that.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
getgoin: "This post will probably tick off a couple of people, lets keep the flaming down to a dull roar, these are only my opinions.

Liniege and certification mean nothing. . . ." etc.

We can discuss this further here: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19408

"There is no other good reason you could give me for studying martial arts. I don't get kicked in the head, slammed on the mat or choked to learn how to be a better person. Being a better person is why I read the bible and go to church for. This stuff about discipline and respect are a great selling tools but you get the same result from any form of hard study whether it be educational, physical or military."

Now you're confusing the issues of authenticity & effectiveness with a third: Self-improvement/spiritual refinement/discipline/etc.

I think it is really important to keep these separate, so as not to cloud the discussion with related topics.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
Forgot to touch on this in my previous reply:

Matt Stone: "Only in the martial arts business world do businessmen and women expect their customers/students to suspend their good common sense and judgement in favor of some fanciful make-believe story of hidden teachers on misty mountains or prodigy-like insight and skill..."

Not so, it also occurs in religion.

But that is completely off-topic . . . or is it? I saw someone else mentioned cult-like behavior.

Is this a case of the martial arts business world uncomfortably having a lot in common with organized religion?

Yes...the martial arts business world is a lot like Cult behavior. Not necissarly all religions or churches demonstrate this behavior (most don't), but many martial arts schools and organizations operate like a cult. I have described why in previous posts. It is quite a shame. Read my link in my previous post from Macyoung's site on "martial cults."

Also, see here:

http://axe.acadiau.ca/~046516h/cults.html

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cultinfo.html

http://www.rickross.com/faq.html

http://www1.chapman.edu/comm/comm/faculty/thobbs/com401/socialinfluence/cult.html

It is interesting to note too that many PR and advertising firms have done studies on cults to see how they get and maintain members to devise new ways to sell their products. Generally this isn't taken to an extreme, but I am sure you all have met people who will only shoot Glocks, or will only wear Nike shoes, and so on without any real justificaion as to why they will only use a particular product. Regardless, clever marketing is fine. Where cults and martial cults go overboard is where they use misleading, misdirection, lies, and deception to gain and maintain market share. More info on marketing and cult behavior:

http://www.freedomchronicles.com/html/cult_of_marketing1.html

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/11/275130.shtml

PDF: http://www.iupressjournals.indiana.edu/eservice/es1-1str.pdf

Anyways, that is all for your reading pleasure. What you'll find is many similarities in cult behavior and martial arts. It's very much a shame. This is beyond the used car salesman pitch. Anyone wanting you to agree with them and be on board with them before giving you answers to questions that would allow you to make an informed decision about them is using cult marketing. Whether or not they are a cult, cult-marketing is unethical.

Paul

G

getgoin

Tulisan said:
, but I am sure you all have met people who will only shoot Glocks, or will only wear Nike shoes, and so on without any real justificaion as to why they will only use a particular product.
I only wear New Balance shoe, But I do that because they are made in America, Nike is made in Thailand.

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
getgoin said:
I only wear New Balance shoe, But I do that because they are made in America, Nike is made in Thailand.

Oh really??? I think I saw some New Balance shoes that were made in Korea....
Anyway, who bloody cares.........is everything you own made in America?
Are you that much of a racist?

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gosh I wonder who "minus dinged" me this time......they wrote

Keep it coming

Like I said before if you are going to give me a negative ding have the "stones" to sign your name..........otherwise :2xBird2:.....but then I am pretty sure I know who the coward is.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
===============================================
Moderator Note.
Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy. http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314 Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Dan Bowman-
-MT Moderator-
===============================================

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Gosh I wonder who "minus dinged" me this time......

I got tagged with two comments I thought I ought to address...

They were:

I love America too in regards to my comment about "typical American narrow-minded use of foreign words for their own ends

I bet your karma is going to pummet soon in regards to my comments about Bussey's history in Omaha

First, I'm an American. But, unlike many of my countrymen, I can function (though I can't discuss philosophy nor politics) in Spanish and Japanese as well as English (in which language, as my mother tongue, I like to think I am quite fluent). I've studied German, Mandarin Chinese, and will soon be studying Korean. I don't presume when in other countries that they should speak English to accomodate me (though if people from other countries live and work in America they need to speak English and not rely on our overly sensitive approach to individual freedom to relieve them of such a requirement). My comments were aimed at the fact that many, many, MANY American martial artists feel absolutely no need to learn to pronounce the foreign language terms in use in their training properly, to know what they really mean (instead of their own inaccurate definitions), and many feel they can use whatever term to mean whatever they WANT it to mean, regardless of how wrong they may be in so doing.

I'm an American soldier, and I am fiercely proud of being such. I stand to defend the freedoms of my country, including the freedom of some of my countrymen to be ignorant hillbillies in the eyes of the world. That doesn't mean I have to sit by and tolerate their ignorance, however. I'll point it out to them in the hopes they will be embarassed by their shortcoming and want to correct it. Unfortunately, most times they are happy in their ignorance, and changing it would requre effort - something they aren't inclined to put out in the first place, otherwise there wouldn't be the shortcoming at all...

Second, I could give a damn about my "karma." I think it was Mark Twain (though I might be wrong) who said you can tell a lot about the character of a man by looking at who he calls "friend" and who calls him "enemy." If someone dings my "karma" score for speaking the truth rather than allowing someone's behavior to go unchecked, well shucks... I consider that an honor, not a reprimand...

Ding away, anonymous posters. Ding away and show me how ruffled your feathers may be by someone who was there, someone who has the benefit of a long memory, someone who isn't afraid to speak openly about something some folks would rather have left alone and hidden away.

You won't be hurting my feelings at all...

G

getgoin

RRouuselot said:
Oh really??? I think I saw some New Balance shoes that were made in Korea....
Anyway, who bloody cares.........is everything you own made in America?
Are you that much of a racist?
Every pair of NB's I have purchased have a big sticker saying "Made in America", if they don't I don't get them.
I'm a racist for supporting my economy, for trying to keep as many Americans employeed? I puchase as many thing as I can that are made in America. I will purchase American made before anyhting else, regardless of cost. I live in America, I support America, I shop America if you don't like it stay in Japan.

Latest Discussions