Question about the Godai

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, that is true, but unless you wish it to be an adversarial and counterproductive relationship, you go through proper channels and exercies appropriate courtesy and respect. :)

Not necessarily. Sometimes it's preferential to get a raw response instead of a mediated one.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But it also appears that the assertion that the elements were only used for counting is also untrue.
The "elements" are used for counting in the Bujinkan. If you trained in the Bujinkan, live or have lived in Japan and spoke fluent Japanese like some on this board do, that fact would be common sense.

So Takamatsu was exhorting students to count to five and Ben Cole was talking about Hatsumi lecturing about how you might also count to six,
I believe you are taking Ben Cole's quote out of context, and in so doing, are completely missing the point of the exchange in question.

I am indeed fishing for references to the godai (and related schema) in Bujinkan material...

Why are you fishing for godai references in the Bujinkan? I would suggest that you find a more constructive way to spend your time...I can see that my last two posts here were a complete waste of mine...

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm honestly curious about why some people want for there to be a literal translation of Xiaolin Showdown type stuff into the Bujinkan curriculum? Is the greater purpose of the Bujinkan to serve peace and justice or to compete for Shen Gong Wu? This isn't a dig at anyone. I just don't understand why a non-issue is such a huge deal.

The point has been made by people who live in Japan and train with Hatsumi-sensei that it's a counting method. Isn't it possible that, even with what was posted in that poem, that it's still just a counting method that refers to a cyclical approach to dealing with situations? People have had such strategies for a very long time, haven't they?

Being able to utilize natural elements to achieve your goals doesn't necessarily mean that people are supposed to go around saying "I'm feeling really Windy today". Say that on a crowded elevator and see where it gets you. Sorry if I missed it but what has Hatsumi-sensei's official answer pertaining to this mess been?

If it's "The Godai is a method of counting", then why say that Takamatsu-sensei was really talking about some kind of psychological or spiritual stuff? I just don't see that being verified by those who speak Japanese fluently, live in Japan, train with Hatsumi-sensei, and have, apparently, spent many hours studying such things.

How would claiming this Xiaolin Showdown stuff is real, and present in the Bujinkan, harm the Bujinkan? Sorry if I'm missing something here. I'm just having a hard time figuring out why someone would use it as a rallying cry against the Bujinkan.

Fu Bag

OP
KageMusha

KageMusha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I new it would cause this much trouble, I would have kept my mouth shut.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I new it would cause this much trouble, I would have kept my mouth shut.

LOL!!! Well, KageMusha, welcome to the Ninjutsu section! You may notice that there are some subjects that people post on to intentionally stir up trouble. I would definitely use the "Search" function in the upper right corner of the forum toolbar to avoid a repeat of this in the future. Don't worry about it, though. Hindsight is always 20/20. :)

Fu Bag

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think it is pretty obvious. You have been ranting against the Bujinkan on E-budo, Kutaki no Mura and here. You are simply on an agenda!

That's odd. I specifically said that one article that could be construed as damaging to Hatsumi (claiming he tried to join a koryu org) shouldn't be taken that way. And I've never posted to kutaki.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The "elements" are used for counting in the Bujinkan. If you trained in the Bujinkan, live or have lived in Japan and spoke fluent Japanese like some on this board do, that fact would be common sense.

Funny thing: Not everyone who's trained with the Bujinkan thinks so. One individual shared his recollection of its use entire outside of Hayes. Another told me about the relationship between two different elemental schemes. I don't take them entirely at their word.

I believe you are taking Ben Cole's quote out of context, and in so doing, are completely missing the point of the exchange in question.

Explain how.

Why are you fishing for godai references in the Bujinkan? I would suggest that you find a more constructive way to spend your time...I can see that my last two posts here were a complete waste of mine...

It's for my personal edification.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny thing: Not everyone who's trained with the Bujinkan thinks so. One individual shared his recollection of its use entire outside of Hayes. Another told me about the relationship between two different elemental schemes.

Not everyone in the Bujinkan lets their lack on knowledge about the subject matter get in the way of them pontificating as if they were an expert.

If they are not people who were around for a long, long time and possibly read some books by Hayes, I really don't put too much importance on what they say, especially since you won't give their names.

And speaking of people that talk like experts, could you tell us what you think the word newashi means. :lfao:

Status
Not open for further replies.