Hatsumi books, suggestions?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
A few months ago I picked up one of Hatsumi's books, Grandmasters handbook of Ninja training. I was pretty disappointed. The book seemed just like a bunch of guys sitting around having a conversation with a tape recorder. Is this similar with most of his books? If so, I'm not interested.

If there others that are different, which ones?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few months ago I picked up one of Hatsumi's books, Grandmasters handbook of Ninja training. I was pretty disappointed. The book seemed just like a bunch of guys sitting around having a conversation with a tape recorder. Is this similar with most of his books? If so, I'm not interested.

If there others that are different, which ones?

That is actually a Stephen Hayes book if I am not mistaken.

The books you want are:

Stickfighting by Hatsumi and Quinton Chambers
Advanced Stickfight by Hatsumi Sensei
The Way of the Ninja Secret Techniques
Japanese Sword Fighting by Masaaki Hatsumi

These are the best works in my opinion and I doubt that
you will be disapointed in them. There are plenty more though.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh yes, I confused it with this one : http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Ninja...54/ref=pd_sim_b_2/103-1673545-0306225?ie=UTF8 by Stephen Hayes . I have that book but really have not looked at it in a long, long time. Maybe it is time to take it out and look it over. : )

My favorites are the ones I listed above there is particularly alot of hard techniques in the Stickfighting book. The other three are filled with techniques but also philosophy, history and each one is like a work of art.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say go with stickfighting. Most of Hatsumi's books are not about techniques or basics. They are good if you want to round out your understanding at a later stage in your training. But for someone with little experience and a desire to see actual training techniques from a basic standpoint, Stickfighting is probably your best bet.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say go with stickfighting. Most of Hatsumi's books are not about techniques or basics. They are good if you want to round out your understanding at a later stage in your training. But for someone with little experience and a desire to see actual training techniques from a basic standpoint, Stickfighting is probably your best bet.

I would agree with that as well! Stickfighting is a great book to take a look at.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian, could you compare stickfighting techs of Dr. Hatsumi and Taijutsu compare to the stickfighting techs of the FMAs? I'm just wildly curious given that my exposjure to Bujinkan techs have been very limited. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh boy. There are a few similarities especially in locking the joints and takedowns but overall they are wildly different beasts. Hatsumi Sokes Stickfighting book covers techniques from Kukishinden Ryu and really is very nice for seeing techniques done with a three foot stick or Hanbo.
Of course all of the techniques can be applied with a jo or other tools but mostly this book show Sensei using a Hanbo. I will say this though that Bujinkan Stick techniques have helped my Filipino training and vice versa they compliment each other in different ways but they are different. Hope that helps some.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian,
Here is my observation on the basic differences between FMA and Bujinkan. I hope you can correct me if you feel different.

In FMA I see a very mobile stick. It goes in, hits, gets out and hits over and over and over again. It is like watching a taiko drum concert there is so many hits and the sticks dart around so fast.

In Bujinkan, the stick hits and it has more of a thump, but it does not dance around with as many multiple strikes. The whole things is that once the stick gets in, you try to use it as some sort of lever or lock instead of breaking and gaining distance.

Neither is better than each other, they were just developed with different strategies. If I am wrong, please cure my ignorance.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Neither is better than each other, they were just developed with different strategies. If I am wrong, please cure my ignorance.

Thats about my interpretation of it... I have a few Arnis/Escrima Stick fighting DVDs and thats my take.

I picked up The Way of the Ninja Secret Techniques yesterday... I was up all night reading it... I really enjoyed it. Not for the techniques, or the beautiful photos, but for the inisght and philosphys it presents.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian,
Here is my observation on the basic differences between FMA and Bujinkan. I hope you can correct me if you feel different.

In FMA I see a very mobile stick. It goes in, hits, gets out and hits over and over and over again. It is like watching a taiko drum concert there is so many hits and the sticks dart around so fast.

In Bujinkan, the stick hits and it has more of a thump, but it does not dance around with as many multiple strikes. The whole things is that once the stick gets in, you try to use it as some sort of lever or lock instead of breaking and gaining distance.

Hey Don,

That is a pretty accurate portrayal in my book as well. However, you would be surprised at the similarities especially when a FMA practitioner has been trained in locking techniques. Remy Presas (and other guros as well) would lock people up left and right and the similarities in many ways mirror Budo Taijutsu in this aspect. (with subtle differeances)

The FMA stick is generally constantly moving and this does make them very formidable when striking. They also use alot of similar footwork (yet different) to Budo Taijutsu in angling to get a better strike, etc.

Your portrayal above though is pretty much right on. For me I like both ways and they seem to complement each other nicely. (at least for me)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats about my interpretation of it... I have a few Arnis/Escrima Stick fighting DVDs and thats my take.

I picked up The Way of the Ninja Secret Techniques yesterday... I was up all night reading it... I really enjoyed it. Not for the techniques, or the beautiful photos, but for the inisght and philosphys it presents.

Hey John, that is a great book and I am gald that you are enjoying Senseis philosophy. (good stuff
icon14.gif
)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is a great book. Even non-BBT practioners will get a lot out of it!

Jeff

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up Stick Fighting today. I'll need to decide between two other ones...

if given the choice, should I pick Essense of Ninjutsu or History and Tradition. I know they are going to be commentary/history, and thats kind of what I'm wanting... How will the two books differ?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up Stick Fighting today. I'll need to decide between two other ones...

if given the choice, should I pick Essense of Ninjutsu or History and Tradition. I know they are going to be commentary/history, and thats kind of what I'm wanting... How will the two books differ?

I think Essence of Ninjutsu would be the better book. :)

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well, Essence of Ninjutsu was actually written by Hatsumi. ;)

That being said, there is far more content concerning history, philosophy, and anecdotal wisdom in Essence of Ninjutsu than there is in Ninjutsu: History and Tradition. Not only does it offer more breadth, but in my opinion, it provides more depth as well.

Hope that helps.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Essence of Ninjutsu was actually written by Hatsumi. ;)

That being said, there is far more content concerning history, philosophy, and anecdotal wisdom in Essence of Ninjutsu than there is in Ninjutsu: History and Tradition. Not only does it offer more breadth, but in my opinion, it provides more depth as well.

Hope that helps.

That is a real good description and definately the book to buy between the two.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, they arrived at the door today! I got Essence and Stick fighting. A brief look at both of them, I think I'm going to be much happier than with the Grandmasters book :) The Stick Fighting book looks awesome! yay!

I might toss up a review when I get threw them, but thats going to take a while!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A brief look at both of them, I think I'm going to be much happier than with the Grandmasters book :) The Stick Fighting book looks awesome! yay!

That is funny, my opinion was the opposite. ;) Of course I may have overlooked some stuff in the stick fighting book, but it looked mostly to be techniques, which is cool, don't take it wrong. :D

Latest Discussions