Question about sneakers and roundhouse kicks

UmiTaro

White Belt
Reaction score
Probably an odd question, but...

I started out Taekwondo doing WTF, then switched to ITF. In WTF for roundhouse kicks, I was taught to mostly kick with the instep (except when breaking), while in ITF, I was taught to use the ball of the foot. I still occasionally throw out roundhouse kicks with the instep during ITF sparring, despite my attempts not to.

Self defense-wise, I've realized that one of my automatic responses would probably be to follow something up with a roundhouse kick (before booking it out), and I'm almost always wearing sneakers. Having kicked someone in the elbow before with the instep, I know that it hurts a LOT, and I would not like to have this happen again. However, I can't curl my toes back enough while wearing sneakers to really kick with the ball of the foot effectively.

Anyone else ever dealt with this before? How would you make this compromise? Should I just get better foot strength?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Probably an odd question, but...

I started out Taekwondo doing WTF, then switched to ITF. In WTF for roundhouse kicks, I was taught to mostly kick with the instep (except when breaking), while in ITF, I was taught to use the ball of the foot. I still occasionally throw out roundhouse kicks with the instep during ITF sparring, despite my attempts not to.

Self defense-wise, I've realized that one of my automatic responses would probably be to follow something up with a roundhouse kick (before booking it out), and I'm almost always wearing sneakers. Having kicked someone in the elbow before with the instep, I know that it hurts a LOT, and I would not like to have this happen again. However, I can't curl my toes back enough while wearing sneakers to really kick with the ball of the foot effectively.

Anyone else ever dealt with this before? How would you make this compromise? Should I just get better foot strength?
Practice kicking with the ball of the foot while in tennis shoes is all I can say. I just apply pressure to the top of my shoe, so that on impact, you end up with the proper weapon.
Sean

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ball of foot is a small, round tool - instep is a large, flat tool. Which one will do the most damage? Think about why you were taught to break with the ball of foot even if the kick was generally performed with instep - and you'll begin to understand why you ball of foot is more damaging to your attacker and less damaging to your foot. It does take more practice to get the right foot position - but most things do.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what you connect with depends on the target.

As mentioned, the ball of the foot is a small piercing target. good to get into small places with, like sneaking it under an arm guard

however, covered with a sneaker your toes are protected to a certain extent. Bending your toes back and hitting with the ball is all about the toes. ^_^

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Turn your hip over on the roundhouse kick and you won't kick elbows ever again. The key is getting the proper mechanics for the roundhouse kick, not changing the striking weapon to the ball of the foot.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Turn your hip over on the roundhouse kick and you won't kick elbows ever again. The key is getting the proper mechanics for the roundhouse kick, not changing the striking weapon to the ball of the foot.
I'm sorry but, elbows can get you anyway.:)

Latest Discussions