question about origins of Tae Kwon Do

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My Instructor is the same way-big for a Korean. Not 6'3", but solidly built and tall for being Korean. One of our Instructors posted a photo of him with GM Uhm (Kukkiwon President), and he was quite a bit bigger than him. Mr. Uhm weighs about 130 lbs, and our GM has to weigh considerably more.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Instructor is the same way-big for a Korean. Not 6'3", but solidly built and tall for being Korean. One of our Instructors posted a photo of him with GM Uhm (Kukkiwon President), and he was quite a bit bigger than him. Mr. Uhm weighs about 130 lbs, and our GM has to weigh considerably more.

Yes, GM Uhm is not a big man. Neither is his student, GM Park, Hae Man. I had my picture taken with GM Park in May. I'm 5' 9" & I look very tall next to him. Wouldn't want to compare skills, tho:ultracool

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For weighing 130 lbs, GM Uhm had a side kick that it was my understanding you did not want to be on the receiving end of. What he lacks in size he more than makes up for in everything else.

EmperorOfKentukki

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe South Koreans are getting larger by the generation, but a couple of thousand years ago (as Taekwondo developed) they were most likely among the shortest in Asia.

The Korean people are getting taller. But this is due to modern diet and hygiene (they also are living longer too). Here in America, we've had a long run of a high standard of living, a well as cross breeding with a variety of ethnic and racial mixes. So we are gigantic compared to many around the world. But since bringing Democracy and the benefits of a high standard of living to Japan and Korea, they too have watched their children grow taller and stronger each generation. In 50 years, the average Korean will be no shorter than the average American, European or Australian. It is merely a matter of good living.

From my experience, the Koreans appear to be smaller than most of their "potential enemies" on the battlefield. As far as being similar to Americans, I find that to be a stretch of reality! (get it? "stretch" of reality!)

'chuckle'

Well....as to being smaller than their potential enemies...this simply isn't true. Japanese and Chinese warriros pre-modern times were no better off in the height department than the Koreans. Granted, the northern barbarians (Manchurians, etc) were often larger than their southern cousins...but only slightly so. And much of their advantage in height had to do with their cross breeding with migratory races that moved across the steppes (remember, the Red Man walked that way before going into North America and these northern tribes had many contacts with tribes settling in the mideast and expanding North, Northeast and Northwest.

It is interesting that often we find shorter people in southern climates. South China, South American, the various island chains that circle the equator. One exception seems to be Indians who had a mix of various races. The Brahmin were quite tall compared to the other castes. Some believe this is due to the harsh climate their ancestors once lived in and migrated from. The caucazoid humans are believed to have evolved from living in Northern climates that forced them to be quite innovative to stay alive...making them rather tough and stoic if not given to an air of superiority. It is believed a migration of so called caucazoid humans gave rise to the caste system and the Brahmin race (Brahmin...the other white meat). LOL.

Today, you will find that South Koreans average just shy of most average Americans or Europeans. Roughly men will be 5-8 to 5-10. Those whose families immigrated a generation or two ago will be atleast average height in the new home country...if not as tall or more.

I've seen Koreans, north and south, over 6 ft tall. But in the north, these are hand selected and placed in strategic places so they will be seen and photographed (i.e. Guard Duty at Panmunjom) to give the illusion they are a race of giants. No one is fooled by this. Go to the North Korean - Chinese border...and you will find virtual pygmies...as they are starved and contained in an area where it is almost impossible for the world to see what horrible lives they are forced to live by an apathetic neighbor and an abusive and cruel parent government.

Korea will never be one country....until the Kim Dynasty in the North is crushed. I have read Karl Marx, and he was an idealogue. His vision was for a utopian society of equality of all. This is actually against the natural order because the forces equalization of people leaves no reward for exceptional excellance while elevating the most recalitrant member to equal status. It is hard to stay motivated to achieve where the idiot is given everything the genius is. Communism has failed as a social experiment. There has been, is and always will be inequalities in life. This is natures way of spurring on the best to always be the best and achieve survival success. Democracy may one day fail if it doesn't learn the lesson of Rome....and that lesson is Mob Rule leads to Mob stupidity. The U.S. today is almost as factioned as it was during its civil war. No foriegn enemy can take the U.S....but it may tear itself apart from within unless some great leadership presents itself in the next generation. The Islamic Extremist are fooling themselves if they believe they will ever rid the planet of their 'so labeled' western infidels. Once you've tasted freedom....you can never go back to living under some archaic dictatorial theocracy. Even Iran, who has sampled the western way, knows this. Why do you think they are pushing so hard to have Nuclear weaponry? Is it to defend itself against western powers? Not hardly. It is two fold: 1. so they can sit at the big table and dine with the best the west has ever offered, and 2. so they can crush their own extremist who will turn on them just as soon as they achieve global station. The nut bags in Hammas and Al Qaeda should be more worried about Iran....than about the U.S.

The Emperor

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From talking with Koreans, yes, they are supposed to be taller than most Asians due to their descent, but this has been suppressed by poor nutrition and lifestyle.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This converstation is about the origin of TKD not how tall are Koreans, Please can we get back to topic.
Thanks
Terry

PS TKD was formed in Korea? right?
Terry

Latest Discussions