Quake, Tsunami Kills More Than 22,000 In Asia

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have at least 1 client who may be in that area, a longtime friend of my GF. :( I looked on a map at the shear scope of this disaster and I'm at a loss for words. I just hope the news doesn't get much worse. :(

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Did the guy who took the footage survive?

- Ceicei
One can assume so as the footage survived... at least the first couple minutes of it anyway. Still, the awesome destructive power of water itself when it's enmassed like the sea.

Sad thing for me watching this was thinking these people were on vacation, probably the vacation of a lifetime and (were) having a wonderful time on a beautiful day.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Druid said:
Horrible, my heart goes out to the victims and their families.

A Video from the coast

WARNING: Very Disturbing Footage

[url="http://www.kratern.se/~erik/film/tsunami/tsunamiphuket.wmv"]http://www.kratern.se/~erik/film/tsunami/tsunamiphuket.wmv[/url]
You're right DRUID, truly terrible pictures.
I, for one, hope that this brings the peoples of the wotld together, even if only for a short time, so that we can concentrate on what is really important instead of petty differences, at least that way some good will come of something so awful.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
:( Just heard on the radio coming in to work today that the toll is now up to 68,000 and still climbing.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
I expect Japan and the rest of the pacific rim will be affected. Then along the Bering Strait and down Alaska and to ... well you know.
"See you down in Arizona bay..."? ;)

Jeff

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel so bad for them. I was there about a year ago and met so many wonderfull people. They were poor enough as it was, and now this happens. All I can do is pray for them.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's so hard to imagine.

I can't look at the images - I saw some on the news, started crying.

Please please please, if you can, donate to a charity at work over there. They say that water and food are going to be tough, and fighting disease.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
"See you down in Arizona bay..."? ;)

Jeff
some people say a comet will come from the sky, followed by meteor showers and tidal waves, followed by fault lines that cannot sit still...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
The count is now 100,000.

Here's a site with other videos. Don't watch it if you're disturbed by such things:

http://jlgolson.blogspot.com/2004/12/tsunami-video.html

The devastation is beyond comprehension.

I spent some time in Pattaya Beach, Thailand, over twenty years ago. I wonder if the people I met there survived? The entire town, I recall, was about five blocks wide and right on the beach. I always wanted to go back there. Now it might be gone.

Regards,

Steve

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
some people say a comet will come from the sky, followed by meteor showers and tidal waves, followed by fault lines that cannot sit still...
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh***...

learn to swim

I heard yesterday that the entire population of one island, with whom contact had been lost for two days, was wiped out. Not a living soul left.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
As of this morning at eight o'clock, the count was 116,000.

Film footage showed entire towns of thousands wiped out without a building standing.

Regards,

Steve

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I heard last night as I was changing CD's in my Truck radio (don't listen to radio as a rule), the reason for this event is because of USA testing nucular weapons on the islands in the Pacific for years.

I was very surprised it had started so soon, next we will hear one of our illustrious far right leaders making some terrible statement.

As far as India not accepting aid that is a start for someone to get on the pulpit.

I am very concerened regarding the stupidity of the far right and far left.

Air waves have no boundries...

Regards, Gary

OP
T

triwahine

I just heard over 125,000. It's an extremely sad and unfortunate time for so many.

My prayers go out to everyone....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Official count from CNN.com is now at 134,000
This is a natural disaster that killed these people.
If I remember correctly the highest death toll from a Natural Disaster is somewhere in the neighborhood of 800,000 from a massive earthquake in China long, long time ago. I'll google it and see what I can come up with.
<edit>
From the Guinesses Book of Records This page states:
Highest Earthquake Death Toll Of Modern Times
The highest earthquake death toll in modern times was caused by one that hit Tangshan, China, on July 28, 1976. The official figure of 655,237 deaths was first adjusted to 750,000 and then to 242,000.

Latest Discussions