Quake, Tsunami Kills More Than 22,000 In Asia

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is so hard to even think of the scale.

Many charities are assisting in the disaster - if anyone has the spare$, please give to the relief efforts.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had no warning system because of the undeveloped area. I heard a warning couldn't have done much good. I don't see the reasoning in that. Even if it was traveling at the speed of a jet airliner, at least people could have gotten back from the beaches even if all couldn't of been warned. On the news, they mentioned one Minnesota young man who saw it and ran for his life. What a terrible loss of life. TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been tracking this story since it broke and watching the body count rise. It's unbelievable.

Sometimes we forget the power of nature.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Good News if there is any, is that Deigo Garcia in The Path of the Wave, has deep water around it and the wave could not shoal and rise to do any damage. Why is this good news? This is a US Naval Base where many a Sailor and Marine and other military personal stay and or go to when they are active in the theater of the world. While it is traggic for the loss that did occur, it could have been worse. I try to find something good about this.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Sometimes we forget the power of nature.
Yes, indeed. No matter how humans try to harness it, tame it, abuse it or overcome it, nature will turn and kick our ever-lovin' butts every single time.

In memorium of all who have and will pass from this event ...

-----
gk

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
It is so hard to even think of the scale.
Amen to that. 30,000 dead and climbing, its hard to think of it as a humanitarian disaster. 30 people die in a traffic accident, thats a tragedy. 30,000 people die, its almost unreal.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ditto ADEPTIt just seems unreal when we begin to speak in terms of tens of thousands already known to be dead, and many others preaumed dead or lost, some of whom may never be found.
My heart goes out to everyone affected, be it directly or indirectly.

Simon

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just heard 44,000 on the news...TW

OP
P

PeachMonkey

They claim the quake that triggered the tsunami was enough to briefly alter the Earth's rotation.

Forces like this truly boggle the mind... as does the devastation.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I messed up, it was 33,000 and counting, must have heard it wrong. An unbelievable number still though.

CNN just said it could top 60,000, with one-third children. TW

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have relatives in Southern India that was affected. A really good friend of my uncle has been killed, while my grandmother's house almost lost her roof. This earthquake has got to be one of the worst recorded Earthquakes ever.

Mother Nature must be really pissed at us. A little while ago there were three giant hurricanes in the US and now the Earthquake in South Asia right before the New Year. I hope next year won't be as chaotic.

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My heart goes out to all of those with friends and family members in the areas affected. I have a friend in Thailand for a year, have yet to hear from her and may not for awhile as she has limited contact, as far as i know she was not in the area impacted :S What a tradgedy :(
Aqua

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kane said:
I have relatives in Southern India that was affected. A really good friend of my uncle has been killed, while my grandmother's house almost lost her roof. This earthquake has got to be one of the worst recorded Earthquakes ever.

Mother Nature must be really pissed at us. A little while ago there were three giant hurricanes in the US and now the Earthquake in South Asia right before the New Year. I hope next year won't be as chaotic.
Read your (KJV) bible... it'll get worse.

Also consider where the earthquake(s) origins are. Near the bottom end of the "ring of fire". Scientifically speaking this means that a series of quakes and volcanic eruptions will occur within the next 18 months or so.
I expect Japan and the rest of the pacific rim will be affected. Then along the Bering Strait and down Alaska and to ... well you know.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The 10 o'clock news has the death toll at over 55,000. Footage of a passenger train overturned and thrown off the tracks as if it was a toy. 1,000 people alone killed in the wreck. According to the report, the US has pledged $20 million toward the relief fund. A drop in the bucket.

Someone I know is on vacation in India. No one has heard from them. They are good people. Pray for their safe return.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some reports I've heard say that the death toll could still double. It's grimly awe-inspiring. There are already reports of looting in India, tragedies always bring out the extremes in people. I hope we start to hear stories from the other end soon.

OP
D

Druid

I hope everyone in that video survived.

This tsunami is A grim reminder that we should each train and prepare to survive in the most unexpected circumstances to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

Also, for me this is quite a humbling revelation on the power of nature. A simple earthquake can make 9-11 times 20.

Latest Discussions