Putting Other Martial Artists Down

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've all seen some 'questionable' MA skills in person, at seminars, on videos, and in books. I think everyone understands that some people are not what they represent themselves to be.

I don't think that calling them out for ridicule is a good way to go, though. In the cases where I might have done so myself, I'm sorry. I was wrong if I did that.

Tearing down someone else doesn't say much good about me or my skills. My gaze should be inward, my notice of flaws should be those I have, not those others have.

Most of us are simply doing our best here. Some of us are better than others. And yes, there are frauds and scam artists. They will reap what they sow, and do not need my help to do so.

2 cents for today.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why in all online discussion, it's better to stay on the subject and not to let "YOU" and "I" to get involved. I may explain why I don't agree with you. But I should never say or ask,

- You don't know.
- How long have you study?
- Who is your teacher?
- What's your mother's maiden name?

I try to stay away from threads such as "What do you think of Jake Mace?" I can smell "personal attack" 100 miles away.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We've all seen some 'questionable' MA skills in person, at seminars, on videos, and in books. I think everyone understands that some people are not what they represent themselves to be.

I don't think that calling them out for ridicule is a good way to go, though. In the cases where I might have done so myself, I'm sorry. I was wrong if I did that.

Tearing down someone else doesn't say much good about me or my skills. My gaze should be inward, my notice of flaws should be those I have, not those others have.

Most of us are simply doing our best here. Some of us are better than others. And yes, there are frauds and scam artists. They will reap what they sow, and do not need my help to do so.

2 cents for today.

Just what I'd expect from someone whose martial arts is huā quán xìu tǔi :D

I agree with your post by the way

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I avoid saying someone is ridiculous. But it is what I think when someone pretends or really believes s/he is the real deal, knowing "everything" and considering everyone ignorant, but doesn't have a clue about what is saying or doing.

No issue with not great instructors when they are honest. Like "I am still in training but can teach the basics and you cannot find this X anywhere close, anyway." Or "X is my speciality and X is what you can learn from me. If you are looking for Y, maybe it is not the right place for you."

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What is this a reaction to? In general, I think this forum errs on the side of indulging posters with questionable skills. Did something happen that bothers you?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

2 cents for today.
I don't think there are any scammy types among the regular voices here. Generally when the type of discussion you are referring to comes up it's in reference to someone in the public sphere.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nevermind. I think I found the thread to which you are referring. Wowzers.

TigerHeart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is normal in YouTube videos. Several martial experts bashing each other. I believe they are not frauds or scammers, but they amusing to watch. I could name a few.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Agreed.

We will never know everything. I like lowly people, because they are wise & always grow, while the self-righteous, or at least those who claim to know everything, remain in a stagnant position - they aren't willing to open themselves up to knowledge.

I like all Martial Arts. Karate inspired me as a little girl, even though it's not what I'm practicing today. Every art has something beautiful & informative to offer.

Every individual has something to teach, whether it's related to MA or not.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most of us, at at least one point in our training, weren't what we thought we were. For me, the most notable episode was probably around purple belt (that would be about 9 or 10 years in, I guess). So I try to have a kind thought for someone who thinks they are much more skilled, better prepared, or more knowledgeable than they are. Egos trigger me a bit, ignorance less so.

I also know that nearly every person's story can be made to sound like a great training journey, a far-fetched story, or a hoaky attempt at learning ninjerish. So I try not to get too wrapped up in how their story is told until I learn a bit more about them and what they know.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
there is a difference between just dragging someone down because they are still learning and knocking someone who is a "know it all". some people like to pretend (or even think they are) experts in every facet of martial arts. i will put my neck out there for this statement but ....i tend to not post in the BJJ, ninjutsu or WC forums because they are for the most part outside of my circle of competence. however there are people out there who have an opinion on everything about everything and are convinced that they know better than everyone else. i see no problem in knocking them down a few pegs. the issue then becomes one of intent and personalities. sometimes cockiness is a sign of youth and/or inexperience, how do we judge cockiness from arrogance in an on line forum setting? i am not sure. i know there is a difference between being petty and tearing someones technique apart for the sake of feeling superior and having a debate on subjects. i love debate, but i try my best to not shred someone on their technique. i have enough experience to know there are a million ways to do things, many of which i do not like but that doesnt mean a darn thing.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
there is a difference between just dragging someone down because they are still learning and knocking someone who is a "know it all". some people like to pretend (or even think they are) experts in every facet of martial arts. i will put my neck out there for this statement but ....i tend to not post in the BJJ, ninjutsu or WC forums because they are for the most part outside of my circle of competence. however there are people out there who have an opinion on everything about everything and are convinced that they know better than everyone else. i see no problem in knocking them down a few pegs. the issue then becomes one of intent and personalities. sometimes cockiness is a sign of youth and/or inexperience, how do we judge cockiness from arrogance in an on line forum setting? i am not sure. i know there is a difference between being petty and tearing someones technique apart for the sake of feeling superior and having a debate on subjects. i love debate, but i try my best to not shred someone on their technique. i have enough experience to know there are a million ways to do things, many of which i do not like but that doesnt mean a darn thing.

"Truly confident people are able to transcend the "cocky-confident" persona, & manage to reach a level of self-belief without all the trappings of arrogance & narcissism that seem inherent in a generation that are taught to constantly broadcast their photos, opinions, & good news to the entire world".

I'm sorry that you find some Ninjutsu students to be like this. It's a pity... I guess some will like the idea of forming a community of unique people, & others will feel too superior to do that.

I, personally, have learned that confidence lies in being a raw & vulnerable human being. Pretentiousness & superiority is for the weak, in my opinion.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Truly confident people are able to transcend the "cocky-confident" persona, & manage to reach a level of self-belief without all the trappings of arrogance & narcissism that seem inherent in a generation that are taught to constantly broadcast their photos, opinions, & good news to the entire world".

I'm sorry that you find some Ninjutsu students to be like this. It's a pity... I guess some will like the idea of forming a community of unique people, & others will feel too superior to do that.

I, personally, have learned that confidence lies in being a raw & vulnerable human being. Pretentiousness & superiority is for the weak, in my opinion.

I'm sure he didn't say anything negative about Ninjutsu students. All he said about Ninjutsu was this
....i tend to not post in the BJJ, ninjutsu or WC forums because they are for the most part outside of my circle of competence.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I misinterpreted his message :hilarious:. Whichever way, I like when people get along, I dislike contention.

The message was based on good intentions. :shamefullyembarrased:

My bad.
No problems, it just confused me ( I'm getting to the age where I am easily confused lol) I have to say contention doesn't bother me, I couldn't have done my job if it had though at all times more peaceful solutions were always sought!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problems, it just confused me ( I'm getting to the age where I am easily confused lol) I have to say contention doesn't bother me, I couldn't have done my job if it had though at all times more peaceful solutions were always sought!
In your case, I suspect that has little to do with age. :p

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

2 cents for today.

If we are at our best, we should all act as you suggest; with understanding and compassion. In life in general as well as here on MT. I try, but fail more than I like to admit.

Honest disagreement without rancor can be beneficial. Putting down others in a petty way usually does the same to us.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score

Circumstances from all the years have made me dislike contention so much, I guess. :dead:

But, as they say;

"If you suffer it is because of you; if you feel blissful it is because of you. Nobody else is responsible - only you & you alone. You are your hell & your heaven too".

May I ask what your position was/is? By the sound &/or looks of it, it's a military position? :)

If you have some pointers on how to deal with this particular circumstance, please do share. I could do with some knowledgeable advice. When people fight or are negative, I tend to ignore them & I just keep myself busy. :rolleyes:

However, if ever I had to be surrounded by random people who get into a fight, I wouldn't really know how to react to it. I would probably avoid it & walk away... :happy::shamefullyembarrased:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May I ask what your position was/is? By the sound &/or looks of it, it's a military position? :)

I was in the RAF for a few years then in the MoD in a uniformed but civilian capacity. The UK has the Home office police which everyone knows but also a couple of smaller forces.

How I deal with posters on here entirely depends on how they treat me. It depends on the situation, who is fighting and why they are fighting on how I'd approach it but on the whole you have to do what is best for you, walking away is a very good solution, nothing wrong with that at all. It often depends on gender how people approach things, if I had to walk up to a bunch of squaddies who'd been out drinking and I needed to see their Id cards, ask them where they'd been I'd take a humorous approach, probably said 'c'mon lads get them out', which of course they'd take the wrong way but they'd laugh and I'd say 'non, no your Id cards, I can't take too much excitement in one night'. They'd remain in their good mood and I could deal with them like that and get the info I wanted. I have seen however a male colleague walk up to a bunch of lads and demand in a very authoritarian voice to see there ID's, they lads got stroppy and we had to all wade in to stop him being assaulted. for many being in a position of 'power' means they have to always be aware of their dignity and pride, whereas I, because I'm not able or going to fight a bunch of lads ( or females which is much worse) don't believe it's beneath my dignity to chat to people or to deal with them with a sense of humour. You get back what you deal out.

Latest Discussions