A humble experience

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tonight me and my fellow students had the greatest night of training one could only dream about, well to be honest they trained I watched and listen and admire the Gentleman that was there for us tonight. Some of you know him by MSUTKD other By Master Southwick he is pure and simple one of the true Master's in our Art of TKD, his roots are solid and his sincerity is for real. We had the Honor and I do mean the Honor to have such a man walk into our school and treat every single person as if they where family, He is humble and I mean humble.

Master Southwick came by to say hello and withen two minutes he was so gracfully accepting the role has head instructor and he tought for almost two hours and I mean he had the Adults and the childern memorized with anticipation of what drills was next. All I can add is the insight he gave was tremendous and the review of Poomsae was great.

If at anytime you have the Honor to train with him or even have him at your school grab it and don't let go, the knowledge will overpower you.
Master Southwick I fully enjoyed your presence tonight and I hope we can make it a ritual every couple of months.

Thank You
From Twin Dragons

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I too, know the experience of being in the same room with someone who is a high ranking instructor of a particular art, and to experience them teaching (even if it's just a visit or a seminar). It's an honor and it's humbling as well. Kudos for you for gaining a terrific experience with your honored Master. Thank you for sharing that. :asian:
My experience being the (sign-language) interpreters for Wing Chun's Yip-Sing and EPAK's Ed Parker Jr. are two highlights of my Martial Arts experience that I'll always be greatful for.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In my years as a martial artist making new friends has been the highlight. This board has some of the best people in martial arts in this country. Sometimes it is easy to just sit behind the keyboard and forget the real personalities on the other side. When you read things from Terry1965 they are thoughtful and genuine, he really keeps the taekwondo topics flowing. Tonight I had the great opportunity to meet him, his family and students. I received real Texas hospitality and was reminded of the quality of instructors on this board. Master Stoker is even better in “real life” and his family is very talented. His students are top notch and really made me feel welcome.
One of the things I love about Kendo is something called “martial traveling”; it is where you just show up at a school and train. We do this all the time in Michigan, Chicago and other Mid-west schools. Well, it can and does exist in old style taekwondo programs. I hope that all of us can open our doors, like Master Stoker, and share our martial lives with each other. Thanks to the Stoker family and students, I WILL be back soon!

ron

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a great treat from both sides. I am glad it was such a great experience for both parties.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MSUTKD thank you for the kind word my son Zachary says he wants to go to MSU so he can train with you, he says you are like me but younger and you have better knees
icon14.gif

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The arts are LUCKY to have both of you gentlemen involved. Thank you for sharing here, and with the students lucky enough to have you as their instructors!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome!! Sounds like everyone had a very good time! :ultracool

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time - thanks for sharing, Terry!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How incredibly cool! This is one of those things that can happen in MA that is hard to share with non-MA folks. We sweat, laugh, (sometimes bleed) & share with each other a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Latest Discussions