Purely a TKD school, or are you mixed?

ryuu55

White Belt
Reaction score
We're CDK (with Ch'ang Hon forms), we have a pretty strong Shotokan influence in our school. My instructor started out in Shotokan, his wife is Shotokan...

DSMartialArts

White Belt
Reaction score
Ill just remind you to Remember that this is Subjective - To Who is Instructing the TKD, and How it is being Instructed. In your Instance, this is likely Accurate.
Just Remember not to Generalise :)

You are correct, It is MY Opinion of TKD as taught mostly as a sport not an art. The art can be useful, however in my area I see a lot of sport trainning facilities, not school that teach the art of TKD.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are correct, It is MY Opinion of TKD as taught mostly as a sport not an art. The art can be useful, however in my area I see a lot of sport trainning facilities, not school that teach the art of TKD.
Id recommend specifying that in future, as TKD is a Martial Art, and just about all of us on here Train that side of it. And if you re-read your Statement, you may be able to see how that could be negatively interprited.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm just wondering for the TKD schools out there, how many are just pure TKD only. And how many have mixed, where there may be TKD+Kickboxing, or TKD+Hapkido, or other combination.

If your school has opened doors to other arts, is there any specific reason?

Definitely a mixture. I suppose you could term it 'old school' TKD (which as others have indicated included other elements than striking and kicking). Surely a mixture of what would be seen as a hard style or combative style of TKD mixed with Hapkido (which a lot of the instructors have Dan ranking in as well). And some of us have yet additional training such as various styles of Karate, Aikijujutsu, Chin Na etc as well to augment or reinforce. Each KSD school would be a bit different depending upon the individual instructor(s) of course.

As far as an open door to other arts, absolutely. When we had a commercial school there were four partners. All of us had TKD, two had HKD, one Goju, one Shudokan and I had Pangainoon, Shuri Te, AJJ, Chin Na and KM. So we were definitely a mixed bag in the beginning! Interestingly enough, it was very pleasurable experience to blend things together into a very useable system of complimentary techniques and principles. But considering that much of the arts are identical/very similar with only the names to separate them, it should be an relatively easy fit.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! Have you been to korea? Europe? How about mexico? Tkd is both a sport and martial art. Purists will say: "Those itf guys can't fight" or "those wtf guys keep dropping their hands". Get over it already. Almost all tkd schools outside the us are wtf style and they train hard. Forms, sparring, drills, one steps (useless in my opinion) and self defense.

wildcat91

White Belt
Reaction score
Lurking for a while, but my first post. My son who is 7 has been practicing TKD for a little over a year now. The school he attends is a combination TKD, Superfoot and Sport Karate school. The school issues both TKD and Superfoot blackbelts.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
At my school we only train KKW/WTF TKD. Sometimes (I'd say once a month or so) we train out of the TJD curriculum, something like boxing punching basics or presumably hapkido self-defense grapling. I believe my KJN only shows us that to make us understand there are other ways to do things, but the training is never enough, at least to me, to input the new techniques in my repertoire. I wish we practised a little more about those techniques, and I wish we had more SD-oriented classes sometimes. As it's a small school, although the GM is the highest-rank in the city, I believe it's difficult for him to give deeper martial art-oriented classes, coz most people unfortunately aren't interested on that.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
... I believe it's difficult for him to give deeper martial art-oriented classes, coz most people unfortunately aren't interested on that.

That has been my general experience as well, particularly with the younger set. They want to do some basics, mostly kicking and then sparring. They actually tend to get bored with training the skills that IMO are more focused towards life preservation.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ours is a Taekwondo school. I look at it as if TKD is our major in college. We do some cross-training in aikido, BJJ, etc., but only to gain some familiarity with them, not to make us experts. They would be like elective courses supporting the major.

Latest Discussions