punching to block

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hi guys
had a very interesting class last nite.
we had an open session due to holidays and only a few in the class,
one asked for single chi sau and we did absolutely none whatsoever and yet i learned so much about sticking it was unreal.
first we were told face to face. my oponnent was to punch and i had to just flick my finger forward like an aggressive point in the face-we did this from low down,then from guard to guard ...in a very relaxed manner no body movement just flick.as he went to punch i just flicked my finger out and pointed. sticking in the most simplest of ways made me realise to stay relaxed and just respond to movement and /or the feel of movement on my arm.

we then did so much punching to block, working on our timing.inside and outside gate.
i have never done the pak sau drill that everyone else seems to have.but my natural tendency is to pak any forward strike.
sifu wanted me to rid me of this habit and just punch go forward take it to them punch punch punch!!
he then put this altogether and explained it in single chi sau terms why we did what we jsut did.
perhaps it was the hour training prior or the lesson learnt but my single chi sau was more relaxed and i seemed to have more forward intention.
if anyoone would like to chip in and help me bury this lesson into my subconcious pleae feel free to add some more tips/advice.
fanx in advance
matsu

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've always felt that the best possible defense against a straight punch was... a punch. It is the most efficient response possible, simultaneously deflecting and countering. Plus it build on your natural defensive reflex to throw up your hands when startled or attacked.

IMO everything else, tan, pak, bong, etc. is just what you do if your punch is obstructed, or overpowered.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Combine that with being sunk a bit and a little forward movement or shuffle and thats the key imo.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I often used jabs to counter punches back in my kickboxing days. Different style but same principle. I often found by circle ducking while angle stepping in to the outside afforded me another open window to get another shot or combo of before my opponent could reset and respond. Similar principle that violates WT/VT/WC, but effective for PKA rules kickboxing.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
What ever is different about your blocks and punches should be minimized.
Sean

Maybe, but the way I do them has worked for me to this point. The violation I mentioned was more in what Wing Chun would consider wasted movement...eg Fakes, Dekes, and Feints. Kickboxing is sport with limitations that eliminates most all strikes I had learned in my stint with Wing Chun...eg Eye gouging, palm strikes (hard to do with boxing gloves)...ect. Plus, lost sensitivity from the gear. The footwork was entirely different as were the kicks because PKA rules, kicks are above the waist, which takes that part away from any Wing Chun kicking I learned...and LIKED! I love the simple and direct Wing Chun kicks and feel they would serve me better in a bar or parking lot....although I did pull off a TKD roundhouse to the head in one fight years ago. The same kick got me SLAMMED by a wrestler when I trained at a local MMA club! LOL

For the record, I had waaaay more time in Karate and kickboxing than I did in Wing Chun.