punching in KM

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
question for KMers
when you go crazy punching a guy at a 60 punches a second dont you lose the power generated from having to pull the arm all the way back and shooting it out?
I was watching a video and it seemed that punches, due to speed, are not driving from the hips, or driven by folding the arm back and driving the punch.
any comments on that?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
question for KMers
when you go crazy punching a guy at a 60 punches a second dont you lose the power generated from having to pull the arm all the way back and shooting it out?
I was watching a video and it seemed that punches, due to speed, are not driving from the hips, or driven by folding the arm back and driving the punch.
any comments on that?
Then either the person you watched wasn't doing it right, or his technique was breaking down in the later stages of his attack, which I think is understandable and happens in every MA.

The power comes from hip rotation and the fist returns to the stance position afterwards. Do you mean cocking his hand back all the way behind his head?

Was this an online clip? If so, could you link to it?

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Loki said:
Then either the person you watched wasn't doing it right, or his technique was breaking down in the later stages of his attack, which I think is understandable and happens in every MA.

The power comes from hip rotation and the fist returns to the stance position afterwards. Do you mean cocking his hand back all the way behind his head?

Was this an online clip? If so, could you link to it?
actually looks like the guy was too fast to notice.
but still the arm doesnt go all the way back to generate power. it seems to be only getting the power from the arm itself. well, this should work too especially with the need to act fast and surprise the opponent.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
actually looks like the guy was too fast to notice.
but still the arm doesnt go all the way back to generate power. it seems to be only getting the power from the arm itself. well, this should work too especially with the need to act fast and surprise the opponent.
Could've been a fluke.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
mantis said:
but still the arm doesnt go all the way back to generate power. .

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by "going all the way back"

Mike

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by "going all the way back"

Mike
trust me, if i knew a better way of explaining it i would have used it.
but you know how in karate for example you draw your arm backwards until your fist is at your hips and then you shoot out? that's what i mean! i hope this is better!

LOKI
Oh, i just realized you are located in Israel and you went to the army where you have official training in Krav Maga and maybe other arts as well.
Well in the US this art is handled differently, and we do have the phenomenon of "McDojos" even in krav maga. Some schools are very serious, but a lot, on the other hand, are there to attract the rich to join and make quick cash.
Since you are probably on the serious side of krav maga, why dont you go ahead and provide us with resources about that art from where Krav Maga was brought up to become a mature art.
thanks

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
mantis said:
but you know how in karate for example you draw your arm backwards until your fist is at your hips and then you shoot out? that's what i mean! i hope this is better!

Ok, at least now I have something to go on. :) Many MA schools have their students perform their punches from this chambered position. Fine for drilling purpose, but I think it would be better to also have them throw punches with the hands up, more like a boxer.

I have not seen anyone from KM throw from this chambered position. The hands are up and power is generated from the hips.

Mike

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
I think that's taking it too far back.

LOKI
Oh, i just realized you are located in Israel and you went to the army where you have official training in Krav Maga and maybe other arts as well.
Well in the US this art is handled differently, and we do have the phenomenon of "McDojos" even in krav maga. Some schools are very serious, but a lot, on the other hand, are there to attract the rich to join and make quick cash.
Since you are probably on the serious side of krav maga, why dont you go ahead and provide us with resources about that art from where Krav Maga was brought up to become a mature art.
thanks
I cut my service short and thus only attended two lessons, though my friends, who are now over a year in service, probably haven't seen any more Krav Maga since. If you'll look just under my location, you'll see that I also train in KM primarily :rolleyes:.

Explaing the entire structure of Krav Maga would take cover several threads, which I'd love to create and post some day, but for now, I'll say that Krav Maga developed from scratch by Imi Lichtenfeld, a professional boxer and wrestler. He was part of a Jewish gang that defended the ghetto from anti-semetists and had plenty of combat experience. Krav Maga wasn't created until after Imi left the army. It was initially taught as a combination of Jiujitsu, Judo and Aikido, it's own material only being created later. Some influences remain, like a certain Aikido stick defense that's still used in certain situations, but Krav Maga is now it's own system.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Loki said:
I think that's taking it too far back.

I cut my service short and thus only attended two lessons, though my friends, who are now over a year in service, probably haven't seen any more Krav Maga since. If you'll look just under my location, you'll see that I also train in KM primarily :rolleyes:.

Explaing the entire structure of Krav Maga would take cover several threads, which I'd love to create and post some day, but for now, I'll say that Krav Maga developed from scratch by Imi Lichtenfeld, a professional boxer and wrestler. He was part of a Jewish gang that defended the ghetto from anti-semetists and had plenty of combat experience. Krav Maga wasn't created until after Imi left the army. It was initially taught as a combination of Jiujitsu, Judo and Aikido, it's own material only being created later. Some influences remain, like a certain Aikido stick defense that's still used in certain situations, but Krav Maga is now it's own system.
that's good info.
do you have like videos, reading material, testing requirements, positions and things like that?
thanks

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
do you have like videos, reading material, testing requirements, positions and things like that?
Oh yeah, a lot of that. It'll all be up eventually.

In the meantime, check out the Martial Talk videos section for a couple of movies I put up.