Punch points @ the Canadian Open!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Charlie had three fights at the Canadian open!
Bronze

He scored 35 points

10-10 OT L Canada
12-0 W USA
13-1 W Canada

Point breakdown
7 punch points
12 Head shots points
16 Body points

Everybody is saying that they don't score punch points in Tkd! The refs were IR's! They will score punch points if you throw the Punch correctly and you have the correct timing and power?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Charlie had three fights at the Canadian open!
Bronze

He scored 35 points

10-10 OT L Canada
12-0 W USA
13-1 W Canada

Point breakdown
7 punch points
12 Head shots points
16 Body points

Everybody is saying that they don't score punch points in Tkd! The refs were IR's! They will score punch points if you throw the Punch correctly and you have the correct timing and power?

Glad to read this 7 points by hand of a total of 35 points this mean hands was about 1/5 of the overall score, I think is a low ratio but well something is something no?

Do you remeber if the punches were counters, afther a clinch or were a leading technique (ofensive tech)?

When I do sparr I use punches as a counter upon clich because try to punch directly to the hogu to a moving partner who is using long range combat is not easy.

Manny

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can't speak for international events, but I have noticed judges scoring more punch points at local and regional events. As a result I have also noticed more fighters using punches.

Simple concept...if you score it, they will use it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Outstanding, outstanding, outstanding!!

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Manny... 7 punch points in three fights is a ton!

The punch points are scored usually when the other fighter is coming in usually a round house or a double!
Closing distance and executing the punch before the attacking fighter can deliver the tech!

Last edited:

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congrats to Charlie!

While I'd generally think "1/5 of points for punches" would be a "low ratio", I understand that under WTF rules this is truely awesome. I'd love to see something more like a 1/2 ratio, but this is totally up to the ruleset.

Btw, we know that WTF ruleset is very restrictive when it comes to hand techniques allowed in its matches (including the need for fully extended arms in punches, that doesn't contemplate the fact that we have other kinds of punches in taekwondo). But does anyone think that there are other hand/arm techniques currently not allowed that could/should be included in WTF ruleset, even with keeping the restriction for head punches?

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The WTF rule is restrictive....yes but that is the intent of the creators...it is meant to be a kicking sport....based on the move to electronic body protectors punches are being scored more...20% is a big change from 1%!

Those who are able to punch correctly will be rewarded under the rule set!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
The WTF rule is restrictive....yes but that is the intent of the creators...it is meant to be a kicking sport....based on the move to electronic body protectors punches are being scored more...20% is a big change from 1%!

Those who are able to punch correctly will be rewarded under the rule set!

What kind or what brand of hogu were used at this tournament?

Manny

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Manny....

Daedo EBP...The Canadian open is a WTF sanctioned Tournamant. You only have 2 approved Hogu's Daedo and KP&P!!!!

Most tournaments are using Daedo right now!

The EBP's are provided by the tournament! The athlete has to provide the foot gear which has sensors!

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
awesome to hear that more punches are being scored! i've basically centered my training on all kicks mostly as a result to judges never scoring punches even if they're legitimate...definitely going to start incorporating more punch strikes in my sparring sessions!

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not knowing anything about TKD or the scoring system, this all sounds pretty impressive to me, especially scoring the punches which I understand is unusual in TKD competitions. Congrats :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gorilla, how did the tournament go off? I wanted to make it, not in the cards this year. Taekwondo Canada has been on a good trajectory as of late.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gorilla, how did the tournament go off? I wanted to make it, not in the cards this year. Taekwondo Canada has been on a good trajectory as of late.

Great event!!! Well run!!! Some of the best Cadet, JR and Sr fighters in North and South America!!!!

Canadian TKD is ahead of TKD in the USA at this point! The USA seems to be making a turn around as of late we will see what happens!

Mexico is the clear leader in TKD in the America's!!! The best program!!!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Havares et al have made a big difference in Canada lately

Latest Discussions