Psychic Surgery...faith or farce?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something that personally intrigues me about Southeast Asian spirituality is the popularity of psychic surgeons/faith healers.

Debunkers such as James Randi dismiss the surgery as parlor tricks...yet they are popular among many Filipino and Indonesian people. I've heard that most healers do not charge for their work.

Your thoughts?

[yt]dlUh9YSenZg[/yt]

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Twaddle. Hokum. Baloney. And other impolite words. It's been debunked for decades.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Healing is certainly real, I know, I do it. Hello everyone my name is Shads and I'm a spiritual healer. There I said it my guilty secret is out.

It's hard to explain how it works and I prefer the term "energy healing" as it's nothing to do with spirits in the form that I do it, and I suspect in all forms, but it is to do with manilpulating another person's energy from outside, even at a distance which is the form I'm best at. It's not a guaranteed result, you don't even have to believe in it to receive it but it really does work.

Psychic Surgery I believe works in a very similar way but I can't explain that as I've never been taught how to do it. Very strong Kinetics (I've met one) can move another person's body parts around and even at the top end of the ability, destroy a cancer, gall stone or other such thing from outside the body. I can't vouch for them who say they take out the problem through the skin, as I've never had that proved and actually doubt that myself.

The one's who have been proven to be charlatans are individuals, and proving an individual wrong is not proving the whole thing wrong. I myself have healed torn muscles over MSN, have taken a migraine away (that was hard and I ended up with a headache myself instead), helped someone with IBS, and I tend to heal quicker than most people with minor things... oh and I don't burn easily... I mean I caught my hand on an iron last weekend and it tingled a little, it didn't burn though.

Healers have major problems healing themselves though, no idea why, might be something to do with energy flows.

I had a major problem myself healed by a Shaman who I became friends with. I went to him to ask him to tell my fortune, I was fed up and have had it done before, but he refused. He said he didn't want to tell me what was in store for me, he wanted to heal me instead. I was very sceptical but went along and 3 weeks later I was feeling much better. I don't want to go over what he healed, it'd take too long to explain anyway, but my doctor was amazed.

It does exist, you can't prove something doesn't exist by it's abscence, you can only prove doubt in it's existance. I believe you could prove a bumble bee can't fly using physics, and I believe that you can prove many things using known laws that are untrue. Healing works through unknown laws... what people like to label "magic". Magic is merely a process we don't understand yet. To me a TV is magic but energy healing isn't. Maybe to you it's the other way round.

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
I personally think it's psychosomatic. People BELIEVE they are going to get better, and then they do. I'm all for anything which can help people get better, no matter the reason.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I personally think it's psychosomatic. People BELIEVE they are going to get better, and then they do. I'm all for anything which can help people get better, no matter the reason.

I used to beleive this too, it does still work though even if you believe it won't. I was very sceptical before I learned how to do energy healing.

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
I used to beleive this too, it does still work though even if you believe it won't. I was very sceptical before I learned how to do energy healing.

Not saying it's not possible... but Occam's razor, ya know?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Healing is certainly real, I know, I do it. Hello everyone my name is Shads and I'm a spiritual healer. There I said it my guilty secret is out.

Witch! Witch! Witch!
icon10.gif

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got the same guilty secret - at least I'm in the process. But there's a difference between having an open mind and being a sucker. We've already seen this. They don't destroy gallstones or cancers. The palmed chicken guts, the mystery meat that gets whisked away, the folded hands that look like they're going through the skin and all the rest have been caught out. It's been about fifteen years, long enough for a new generation of dupes to grow up. Same scam, different day. Like they say, don't open your mind so far that your brain falls out.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oi you lot! Witches are members of a Pagan religion and not evil, anyway didn't I tell you, I don't burn easily.... no keep that bucket of water away from me.... please.... not the water... nooooooooooooooooo *sizzle*

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You ALL may say what you wish and believe what you will..There are experiences in my life that CANNOT be explained as BUNK or HOKUM ,I have heard the words used to describe acupuncture..Don't dismiss something you don't understand..It is very very REAL...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Twaddle. Hokum. Baloney. And other impolite words. It's been debunked for decades.

The same words have been used to describe surgery where hypnosis is used instead of general anesthesia..The practice of hypnosis is STILL considered by many as BS..

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I definitely believe in mind over matter and the ability to direct energy.

As far as the psychic surgery goes, I've heard about the frauds. That's what people remember, the negative. If I recall correctly, there was a supposed psychic surgeon who claimed to have removed someone's gallbladder. It was found that he had hidden an animal's organ in a cloth. He was caught. (This story could be bull, too.)

As far as Reiki and such, I've felt the energy from people's hand, even from my own. The Master of our martial arts school can break a plate without touching it. He's manipulating energy.

I think we will find one day that mind over matter is pure science, not magic.

I won't get into people like Benny Hinn...grrrrrrowl.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_surgery

Psychic surgery is a form of medical fraud, in which the fraudster purports to be performing a paranormal surgical procedure. It is practiced chiefly in the Philippines and Brazil. It is performed by psychic doctors or psychic surgeons, who say they extract "tumors" or other pathological objects such as pus, or bones from the patient's body through an incision.

And wikiwpedia's accuracy gets questioned :lol:

It's a magic trick. No more real then Kris Angel levitating people or Copperfield walking through walls.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Witch! Witch! Witch!
icon10.gif

Heresy! Heresy! Witches all! Stone them!!!!!

icon10.gif

Not Shads. I'm the one from Salem, Mass !! :lol2:

A fellow conspirator eh?

Witch! Witch! Witch!

Where have all of the good Puritans gone?

Lord save us all!

Oi you lot! Witches are members of a Pagan religion and not evil, anyway didn't I tell you, I don't burn easily.... no keep that bucket of water away from me.... please.... not the water... nooooooooooooooooo *sizzle*

Okay...so you are all nuts, you know that right? ;) :p

Shads, thanks for being such a great sport about the whole issue, it is truly appreciated.

Back to the topic at hand.

I think everyon has a right to believe whatever they want to. I believe there is some truth to mind over matter. Trust me, give birth without drugs and live to tell about it in a sane and rational manner and you too will believe! :)

All joking aside, I think what gets everyone's panties in a knot about it is that there are charletons out there ready willing and able to pray on the weak and scared. Ready to take their money and take them for a huge ride, offering them false hope while emptying their bank account. The important thing to remember is we are more likely to hear the bad (because it sells) then we are the good. Try it, if you feel it works for you, great. Only you can know for sure.

Latest Discussions