Prospect of rolling around on the Aikido mat with my son.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tried Aikido a few years back and although I liked the techniques the constant rolling and falling was killing my out of shape body.
Fast forward to the present: I have been taking Kombatan Arnis for almost a year now and am loving it. I would like my 5, soon to be 6, year old to take Arnis as well, but my wife is afraid it will turn him into a little bully. Everyone here on this forum knows that this belief is silly but there is no changing her opinion, believe me, I've tried. :rolleyes:
Anyway, I was looking through my local Community Center catologue and found that they offer Yoshokai Aikido for kids, and the parents can sign up and take the class with them if the kids would prefer that. Very cool.
So here is what I'm thinking: Enroll my boy into the Aidido class and (if he wants me to) join him in April. Why wait until April? Because I think that the constant rolling is going to kill me like it did the first time. But, I've got my falls down and am just starting my rolls in Arnis. I figure that in a few months I will be comfortable with rolls via my Arnis training and should be able to tackle the constant rolling involved with Aikido practice.
Any opinions and/or advice about my tentative plans?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Want a VERY biased opinion from an aikido-ka? Do it! The rolls shouldn't be all that hard on your body if you get them to go from shoulder to opposite hip. Extend your right leg and right arm, make the arm "unbendable" and use it as the first part of your "wheel" for the wheel roll. Lay your head against your right shoulder, look straight down (very important that your eyes stare at your toes all the way through the roll), push off with your left foot with enough momentum to carry you through to the end. If you're hurting your shoulder then you are letting your arm collapse. If you are hurting your back then you are turning your head or looking away from the mat. Either way, there is a reason that part of our warm up every class is basic falls and rolls. They are essential to a good class. You'll get it. As for studying with your son, well, I have always found class more enjoyable when training with someone I love. It'll be good for your son to see you doing the same things he's doing.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You got our vote to "go" and do both. Teaching a child at a very young age is great, especially if they get to train with there "DADS".

Aikido is an excellant art. Aloha,

OP
JBrainard

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
You guys are right in that doing it with him would be great for the both of us. Plus, from the standpoint of my training, I think that Aikido and Arnis would be a great combination of arts.
However, I still want to wait until my back is "used" to the rolls in Arnis. Hell, I'm still sore from two days ago. lol