Pros/Cons of Wearing a Watch

Pro: You will never be late for a meeting.

Con: Forgetting to transfer your drink to your right hand when someone asks what time it is. Especially when you've been drinking. I've gotten several drunk people with this.

I don't like wearing watches, or bracelets for that matter. I tell time on my . One thing I have noticed is that a solid bangle bracelet (whether or not the bangle has a watch embedded) can help prevent someone making a firm grip on the wrist.

I don't wear any jewelry. Just isn't comfortable for me. I wear a watch on a dinky carabiner that hangs from my belt loop.

One thing I've discovered is if you have a strap watch, leather or cloth and you to a front two-knuckle punch at full speed, you can cause the watch to come off one of its hinges...

I sometimes wear a metal watch. It's my bling.

I'm expecting more Cons than Pros for wearing one.

What do you all think?

Well, a Rolex-and a few other things that made my young *** seem to be a "mark"-got me mugged back in NY, a long time ago-so much for the benefits of bling.

Still wear a watch, though-in fact, I have quite a few, including that particular Rolex. In my job, knowing what time it is is important-it's also especially important when I'm sailing (for any kind of distance, anyway). Most of the time, a watch isn't much of a liability, even a Rolex-at least, from a martial standpoint, it's less of a liability than wearing a three-piece suit, or other restrictive clothing-or footwear. The watch isn't going to jam you up, or keep you from executing techniques-worst that is going to happen is it gets broken.

I'd be more concerned about the liabilities of a necktie. :lol:

Anyway, I got one of these as a gift. . I've played around with it some-it works, but it's kind of silly: in almost all the situations I could come up with using it in, the arm wearing the wristband will do just as well or beter, and doesn't require any manipulation with my other hand-fine motor skills like that don't really have much place in self-defense.

But I guess you could make a weapon of a watch, just as you could a belt, or a necktie, or a Mont Blanc pen......

Digital or analog? Just kidding.

Taking wrist control can be very advantageous. And wearing a watch might prove detrimental to its wearer in a grappling situation.

I just wanted to get some insight from the other arts about wearing a watch. Any experiences?

Back