Promotions to Black in non-affiliated Schools

C

Chozen One

Would it be wise to stay or even join a Kenpo School that is not affiliated with any Kenpo Organization (EPAK, Tracy, IKCA, etc.) Does this limit advancement, and rank recognition, and if you are involved should you find another school before reaching Black Belt

I’m currently 2nd Brown

OP
M

Mark Weiser

I would find an affilated school if at all possible. This way there is a set format for testing and promotions and someone to give an answer for questions regarding any problems in Training.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Screw the affiliation, if you are getting good training it is good training.

Most of the organizations out there really don't have reps with a high density on the ground. The odds of you moving and finding another studio from the same organization within easy commuting difference is low.

If your first instructor got you to say, blue, then you moved and had the choice between a marginal instructor from your same organization or a very good instructor from another, what would you choose?

No contest for me.

Don't go for the belt, go for the knowledge.

Lamont

PS: The IKCA is obviously a different situation given their established distance testing, but given a choice a live instructor is WAY better.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yah, I'm gonna have to go with Blindside on this one. You can have affiliated schools that teach crap and non affiliated schools that teach quality, or vice versa. By this point in your training you should have a feel for what you're getting. Do they answer your questions? Do they care about your learning? I don't have anything against affiliations, in fact, I think it's great to have a larger group of martial artists you can be connected to in some fashion, but I don't think that affiliation has anything directly to do with the quality of instruction at any given school.

As far as recognizing rank, I think respectable martial artists will recognize a dedicated student by the way he moves, not by his list of references.

-Rob

OP
O

OC Kid

It all depends why you are training.
If you are training for a social activity yea go with a affiliation
If your instructor sucks yea go with a ffiliated school

If your instructor is good and your doing it for self defense stay with him.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
For thousands of years there were no affiliations. Just one gnarled old salt passing on his "how I lived through it" to a handful of future gnareld old salts.

D.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you want to teach in and/or own your own affiliated school one day, then find an affiliated school. Otherwise, who cares?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would bail if the style were too different. I was going to train in a Shoringi Kempo, and found that they didn't believe in punching with the first two knuckles; however, if you are happy with the curriculum, its your journey, and you can always re-affiliate later.
Sean

OP
C

Chozen One

Thx for the input, my instructor is great but I was questioning the school I’m at because they have cut so much out of the Parker system.

From what I understand there are 24, and 16 technique, Kenpo systems I'm currently doing 10-12 techniques and a kata or two per belt, which I have been working on for 4 years.

So I’m under the imprecation that I’m not getting a full immersion into Kenpo.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
3 tires on a car? maybe there is a reason for another tire?
Todd

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Screw the affiliation, if you are getting good training it is good training.

Most of the organizations out there really don't have reps with a high density on the ground. The odds of you moving and finding another studio from the same organization within easy commuting difference is low.

If your first instructor got you to say, blue, then you moved and had the choice between a marginal instructor from your same organization or a very good instructor from another, what would you choose?

No contest for me.

Don't go for the belt, go for the knowledge.

Lamont

PS: The IKCA is obviously a different situation given their established distance testing, but given a choice a live instructor is WAY better.
If your worried about becoming a business owner, instructor or something, then staying with an organization that has financial, business and instructional support might be wise. But if it is just about training, find something that fits and stay as long as it fits.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kai said:
3 tires on a car? maybe there is a reason for another tire?
Todd
Unless it's a motorcycle, so two will do just fine.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Chosen One,

If I understand this right, you have been in this school for 4 years, a 2nd brn?

In my opinion, I would stay with the current school, read some extra information on various Katas you think might be missing, view some on video, talk somemore to your instructor, ask if there is more you could learn and if the instructor will assist.

You have been there for 4 years and very close to your Black, get your Black.

It sounds like you are second guessing yourself and starting to think that you want more Kenpo. Get the certificate for your work and accomplishment so far. If you are still wanting, then seek further.

The situation you will encounter is this... Being a brown you will be demoted right away to a lessor belt just on the fact they will want to impress on you that the school is better then from where you came. If it is, or not.

This may happen even when you have your Black, but you will have accomplished your goal in getting your Black, you should work through this moment in time and indecision, and stay with the school you are in.

All the above is based on if you are happy, like your instructor and are learning new stuff. There are some schools that will not give out Black belts, because they do not have the ability. Is your instructor a certified Black Belt? Has he promoted others into that position?

What is the name of your Martial Art, each time you work out, do you feel you are learning more? Do you have a contract with this school? Is it month to month? How often do you train?

These are items that weigh in on the decision if you want to stay in Kenpo.

After getting your Black, You can go to a different art and see if it will supply what you feel is lacking. You could go into FMA, learn sticks, or BJJ. There are alot of Martial arts that can work well with kenpo, Aikido is another that comes to mind, JKD, on and on....

There are many avenues, but I think you should get your Black in the school you have spent 4 years in already.

Good Luck, Regards, Gary

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree w/ GAB on this. Get the recognition (rank) you have worked so hard for, then consider your options. Stay focused on the goal and do not worry about the rest of this until after you are Black. There could be exceptions to this if the school or instructor are poor, but it does not sound like that is the issue here.

Unlike Gary, I don't recommend finding other arts to practice, rather look at instructors of Kenpo, that may be at a different level. The men who come to mind are people like John Sepulveda, Bob Liles (congrats to both on being promoted to 9th Black), Tommy Burks, Dennis Contatser, Pat Salantri, Larry Tatum, Mike Pick, etc. ... heck, the list is so long I cannot even start to name all the names. But I promise, from any of these gentlemen, the learning is just beginning at Black, as it was for me.

Good luck,
-Michael

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to go with the concensus that your motivations for learning and your future goals (which, of course, should be in line with your motivations) are the big cards in your decision-making process.

Have many teachers but one master. And Black Belt isn't too late to reaffiliate, laern more, whatever.

I just think that affiliations are a group of people like a family - sometimes it's beneficial to have them with you, sometimes it's not. I don't have "affiliation" on my quality control list, as it were, to search for dojos/instructors for any purpose but note.

Look at the quality of the instruction you are receiving. Are you learning the techs you're learning well? Are you making them work? Can you alter them to accommodate a different-sized opponent? victim? Are you growing? These are the things that are important to me - more so than an affiliation.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about organizations. I would consider going to some Kenpo Seminars and watch and play. This might be an eye opener, on the other hand you might just walk away feeling great about yourself, your style and your instructor.

The first time I went to a seminar (Speakman's Los Vegas Camp, 2001) it was a wonderful experience. I left fired up about Kenpo in general but also with a new respect for how good my instructor Mr. Hatfield really is.

Jeff

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chozen One said:
Thx for the input, my instructor is great but I was questioning the school I’m at because they have cut so much out of the Parker system.

From what I understand there are 24, and 16 technique, Kenpo systems I'm currently doing 10-12 techniques and a kata or two per belt, which I have been working on for 4 years.

Sometimes less is more. :asian:
Sean

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i take a calss simiar to this....wehave no affiliation with anyoe so i realy don't need a beltt o tell me that I am good...i just wanna keep training...........i went to a tournament the other day and I entered an intermetiate wepions kata event and I won scond place...and i ama yellow belt

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Chozen One said:

If your instructor is a good teacher/person, then don't worry about how many techniques your being taught.....worry about perfecting the one he teaches you to the best of your abilities.....

Latest Discussions