KaliKenpo

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KaliKenpo :asian:

I want to share an experience with all of you. I recently had the honor of exploring some of Kenny Gonzalez' awesome contributions to Kenpo. One of our old training partners Ron Collier, who now studies with Kenny in Tampa Florida, paid us a surprise visit recently. He showed us some things that Mr. Gonzalez has been developing and it complimented our Kenpo amazingly well and in eye opening ways. After a fairly comprehensive look at his approach to basics in a neutral bow, in which he's concentrated on concepts and principles involving among other things proper angles, we experienced an extremely significant result in increased power in our strikes. It was so amazing and effortless! One of the other ladies KT who posts here hit me so hard it was shocking. :xtrmshock

He also worked with us on some very practical alternatives within some of our Kenpo techniques. I had the pleasure of exploring the yellow belt techniques in the system. They were extremely practical, definitely Kenpo but with an efficient twist. Delayed Sword for instance, beginning with the execution of the first block that, through a few adjustments in body mechanics, became so practical and powerful. In fact so much so that we had to be more careful not to hurt each other after executing it just once. My arm still hurts from that, but it was well worth it! The interesting thing to me is how efficiently I was able to move in these reconditioned techniques, and I didn't find myself saying, "I'd never really try that." It all made sense and felt "right".

I also personally had the opportunity to learn a bit of his forms and I was amazed to see how after experiencing, maybe 30 minutes of working part of a form, in which he added movement to Striking Set, that I was moving with a great deal of fluidity - more than I've ever experienced. His two man set is very cool and not to be believed! It was also fluid, and powerful - something you'd just have to see to fully appreciate.

This was just a sample, we will have the honor of training with Mr. Gonzalez on October 23rd, and I can't wait to see what he personally has to share with us. :asian:

guito

White Belt
Reaction score
I was in florida last week and I visit keeny gonzalez .it was great , he is working with the curriclum and its fantastic .he also show me some new stuff with kali and the sets . it was a new experience and he is a great person .

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He came to the camp in San Antonio last spring when I broughr John Sepulveda and Curtis Abernathy brought in Steven LaBounty. Mr. Gonzalez ran a great seminar on timing drills and everyone participating had a great time. Respectfully, he bangs (that is a good thing in the KenpoWorld!).

-Michael

Latest Discussions