Promoted By Email

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First of all, congrats on being promoted to Yondan. This is a pretty big step when it comes to the dan rankings, and many folks at this level open up their own schools.

As for the way you were promoted? At this stage, since you were a Sandan, it's more about what you do for the dojo, and what you are able to give back to the dojo (in terms of helping, knowledge, teaching, etc).

This is in contrast to what happened at the lower ranks, where it was more of what you were able to take from the dojo (knowledge, etc).

For yudansha being promoted to the higher dan rankings, it's not unusual for someone to be promoted without taking a physical exam, since the actual exam is one that is conducted over a long period of time. I've seen folks being promoted via public announcement, or even at a seminar / symposium, and they've all been legitimate promotions.

From that day forth, they were listed at their newly given ranks. The 11" x 17" parchment documents were simply icing on the cake. The same held true for those who tested for more advanced titles, such as Renshi, Kyoshi, or Hanshi. They were addressed as Renshi (insert name here) from that moment forth.

Being promoted by a personal e-mail is really no different than the senior sensei coming up to you in person, and saying "I hereby promote you to yondan." If someone wants to hold a nice ceremony, then so be it. If not, then that's their choice as well.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I agree that after a certain point promotions are more concerned with time dedicated to the art and one's contributions back to the art.

It sounds like you've got both of those bases covered and if your teacher feels you deserve it, who better to judge?

The medium in which your teacher relays that fact is irrlevant.

If more people worried more about perpetuating the arts and less about making a buck the term "McDojo" may never have come about. I applaud your effort and ethic. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS on your promotion! That is great news!

Personally I'd almost rather get an e-mail like that from my teacher than be told in person. Call me crazy but sometimes it seems like the more documentation a student has for their rank, the better. It may be unusual, but I like it.

Way to go "beeeg shot" :D :D

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No promotions yet (been five years now...maybe I should ask? LOL!).

As to the e-mail part, I think it's neat; there's something really nice about being able to contact one's teacher via e-mail. Harkens back to the age when letter writing was important, and adds an extra dimension to training.

It's funny, but I just got an email from my sensei. He's quite fluent in English, but he speaks English with an accent and every time I read something from him I unconsciously add the accent to his words.

This is the passage of interest. "You a yondan now, beeeg shot. Give you excuse now tak-a you preeetty wife to eeeat."

Hot damn, I guess I get to sew another stripe onto my ceremonial belt. :)

Anyone ever been promoted by email before?

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Congrats! It sounds like you have a good relationship and mutual understanding of one another, and I think it's wonderful that you have learned from him as well as developed a maturing understanding of one another.

I wish you and your students well!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see I have to fill in the picture a bit more lest my sensei gets tarred with a bad brush, I just thought I would relate an amusing story about being promoted through email. I certainly hadn't planned to get in a discussion about McDojos and undeserved ranks.

I did not say that, I said nothing negative about your, or any other association. I asked a question, then justified why. I did not say anything to tar your Sensei, or anyone elses Sensei.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I realize you had no ill intent. Regardless, your questions and comments about testing and promotions required a response from me, if only for myself.

No worries. I am not upset.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do they get to beat on you in an e-mail? I have never had this happen and had never even heard of this happening. Outside of a McDojo/make you a killer with our program kind of place.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Old style Okinawan Karate!!!!!

I have a friend who trained at the Jundokan.
He told me when he was a green belt, one of the seniors handed him a brown belt and said " Next time you train, wear this"

That was his promotion.

Everything we do, every time we step on the floor, it is a test. Your students tell what kind of teacher you are.

Congratulations

F

foggymorning162

Your students should be tested every time they step out on the floor. The actual test should confirm your decision of our students new rank nothing more if they aren't ready why test them?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would echo the above statements with a small change...

You are tested everytime your students step on the floor. At this point, they are the measure of success.

And a big CONGRATS on the promotion, btw!

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Congrats to you and thanks for sharing your unusual experience. :)

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's funny, but I just got an email from my sensei. He's quite fluent in English, but he speaks English with an accent and every time I read something from him I unconsciously add the accent to his words.
Funny that you say that, every time my old sensei emails me i do the same thing lol.

Latest Discussions