Private lesson are they really needed

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
private lessons are like a porsche. if you have the means, they are irreplacable. you get higher quality instruction, more personal attention. they're simply better in many facets (although group lessons are also important).

on the other hand, if you're not that well heeled, a honda will still get you from point a to point b very well.

they're a luxury, but like most luxuries not absolutely vital regardless of how helpful they can be.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I disagree, so I'm not supposed to take private lessons because it may hurt someone else's feelings? Does that same person resent that I may get a tutor in school to really excel in a subject? How is "having a black belt who can help them work with them individually" different than a private lesson?

Lamont

As I stated previously, it is entirely acceptable to have a black belt work with a student one on one, with the understanding that there are certain areas that need to be worked on. This should be done in a class setting with other students present. It is different when the student and the black belt or Instructor meet privately away from class for individual practice. This sends the message that this student is special and will receive treatment that the other students will not get or be privy to.
What our Instructor did was this: if you had trouble areas, he had a black belt work with you individually in class a couple of times. After that, you either got it or you didn't. He never included regular private lessons in his curriculum, though there were certainly people who would have loved to have received them, and he certainly could have made good money doing it. The extra money was not worth the resent and jealousy the other students who were not privy to private lessons certainly would have experienced.
Think about it: A classmate receives private lessons or instruction from the Head Instructor that you don't get. Wouldn't you feel a little jealous toward him at the thought of what he must be learning that you aren't?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Think about it: A classmate receives private lessons or instruction from the Head Instructor that you don't get. Wouldn't you feel a little jealous toward him at the thought of what he must be learning that you aren't?
No, I wouldn't. Some people need extra help, either because they are ready for more in-depth knowledge than the general class, and some because they aren't getting something. Some people are willing and able to pay more for extra help, whether they truly need it or not. Individualization is the key to quality instruction - this just provides for more individualization. Why would I be jealous or resentful of that? For that matter, why should the black belts teach for free? Certainly, all of my students are expected to help their juniors, as explaining something to someone else is a great way to understand it better yourself, but it is a once-in-a-while thing, as the seniors pay for instruction too.

Having said that, my instructor never gave formal private lessons, except to those who were senior enough that the general class didn't always meet their needs - for example, I'm the only IV Dan in the class, and he's not always able to get to all of my requirements without some extra time outside of class, which is compounded by the fact that I am also an instructor at a separate facility, and his class is Mon/Wed, and mine is Mon/Thurs, so I can only get to his class once a week. On the other hand, anyone who wants extra help - whether because they're confused or would like more in-depth knowledge of something - is welcome to arrange with him to come early, stay late, or meet at another time. Why would I resent someone who has the drive to get extra help, whatever the reason? I might be jealous that that person has the time I don't have - but that's as far as it goes.

Latest Discussions