Private lesson are they really needed

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering after this weekend if private lesson are really needed for the beginners or is it better to let them come alon in segments.
I can understand private for those that are having trouble with certain techniques and need more time to get it right. But for someone that has only been doing TKD for a couple of weeks is this a good thing or a money pit and will be so for there whole training.

What are you thoughts on this subject

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its optional I mean for the most part, so why not? Perhaps, you have a beginner who is interested in competition and wants to advance his or her skills more rapidly. Certainly not a requirement, but they can not hurt, I remember my TKD days and the competitions, and it was no peice of cake. There were very fit and very fast guys who competed back then, and I am sure that has not changed today.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I would guess it depends on the reason the student and/or the instructor have for the private lessons. If it is a matter of time, meaning they cannot get to a regular class and the student really wants to learn then I imagine it is ok. But it is expensive and the student should be informed of this prior to the start of the lessons.

If the instructor requires private lessons then it is money making issue, at least to me. There is a school near me that works pretty much only on private lessons based on the instructors lineage and he charges about $115 per hour and I think this is gouging plane and simple.

I am not sure if a private lesson would benefit a beginner over a regular class but if there is no other choice then it is all you got.

When I trained TKD in my first classes the instructor assigned a senior student to run me through the basics on the sidelines for a couple of classes. This included basic kicks and stances as well as etiquette in the school and I feel it was a benefit to me. I was still part of class, for the most part, and I got to see how things went while I was learnig the basics

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it just depends on the situation. Some people just aren't comfortable with being thrown in with a group of people, they have certain disabilities, or time constraints. I just don't think that there should be much (if any) extra charges for it. So, sure there should be a separate time set up for private lessons.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For beginners I don't think it's neccessary. When folks are more advanced, it can be a big help.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Private lessons help at all levels. That being said, they should be optional.

Lamont

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When we first started our school, we gave out lots of private lessons!

No, wait, only one person would show up for class.

Jeff

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went to a bunch of kenpo private lessons many years ago because my grad school class and study schedule made it impossible to make regular classes.

I've had my daughters in a very few private lessons, once to to brush up their general techniques and one 3 lesson set for my older daughter to learn a competition form of a Goju-Ryu kata.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
For beginners I don't think it's neccessary. When folks are more advanced, it can be a big help.

I remember right before my tournament last May I was having a dickins of a time with Tae Guek Sam Jang. I mean it just pissed me off to no end. I had been back to TKD and HKD for 2 months after a 1.5 yr layoff and just couln't get the snap/pop down. Well after a Thursday Night TKD Class it was time for hapkido.....I was the only one there besides the GM......so I did Sam Jang for another hour and a half.

GM and I did it together, me in segments alone, us in segments. Just so many times.

Anyway I won 3rd overall and was told the reason why I didn't win was because my legs looked stiff. I did win the adult orange belt division that day though.

There have been days when I got to stay for the black belt workout after Wed. night TKD and have a private lesson. I have also had a few one on one lessons for hapkido.

I get a ton out of the privates. However, I see a Private as a plateau or trouble shooter workout. It should not be a staple.....You miss out on a lot by not being in a group surrounding for training.

Just my opinion.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Private lessons help at all levels. That being said, they should be optional.

Lamont

This sounds good to me... that said, when new students start, the senior students take turns providing individual and small group instruction during the regular class. Any student who wants additional help has only to ask me - but since I teach at a Y, and there's not always a room available, extra help often occurs in my basement. There is no charge for anyone who is interested enough to set a time and show up - no shows who don't call, however, often find it difficult (depending on the circumstances) to get another appointment.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would guess it depends on the reason the student and/or the instructor have for the private lessons. If it is a matter of time, meaning they cannot get to a regular class and the student really wants to learn then I imagine it is ok. But it is expensive and the student should be informed of this prior to the start of the lessons.

If the instructor requires private lessons then it is money making issue, at least to me. There is a school near me that works pretty much only on private lessons based on the instructors lineage and he charges about $115 per hour and I think this is gouging plane and simple.

I am not sure if a private lesson would benefit a beginner over a regular class but if there is no other choice then it is all you got.

When I trained TKD in my first classes the instructor assigned a senior student to run me through the basics on the sidelines for a couple of classes. This included basic kicks and stances as well as etiquette in the school and I feel it was a benefit to me. I was still part of class, for the most part, and I got to see how things went while I was learnig the basics

What he said.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just started taking private lessons but I didn't ask the head guy ;)

I asked one of the JR BB's the reason for this is that I started training at what ammounts to an MMA boot camp. I'm so far behind the other guys can't even go "light" enough not to cripple me after two or three hits.

I'm so far behind them I feel bad like its my fault and they are suffering because of me.

Probably just my paranoia but I don't like to think I'm holding people up.

--Infy.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
This sounds good to me... that said, when new students start, the senior students take turns providing individual and small group instruction during the regular class. Any student who wants additional help has only to ask me - but since I teach at a Y, and there's not always a room available, extra help often occurs in my basement. There is no charge for anyone who is interested enough to set a time and show up - no shows who don't call, however, often find it difficult (depending on the circumstances) to get another appointment.

Sounds great, we do something very similar.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember right before my tournament last May I was having a dickins of a time with Tae Guek Sam Jang. I mean it just pissed me off to no end. I had been back to TKD and HKD for 2 months after a 1.5 yr layoff and just couln't get the snap/pop down. Well after a Thursday Night TKD Class it was time for hapkido.....I was the only one there besides the GM......so I did Sam Jang for another hour and a half.

GM and I did it together, me in segments alone, us in segments. Just so many times.

Anyway I won 3rd overall and was told the reason why I didn't win was because my legs looked stiff. I did win the adult orange belt division that day though.

There have been days when I got to stay for the black belt workout after Wed. night TKD and have a private lesson. I have also had a few one on one lessons for hapkido.

I get a ton out of the privates. However, I see a Private as a plateau or trouble shooter workout. It should not be a staple.....You miss out on a lot by not being in a group surrounding for training.

Just my opinion.

Very well articulated, Matt! As others have said, "they should be optional." And as you said here, "they shouldn't be a staple. You miss out on things that happen in a full class setting."

I'm glad you have the opportunities you do, Matt. The great thing is, I know you don't take them for granted. You are & will be a great teacher in the future.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Looking at it from the beginning student's perspective

I've only had one private lesson. It was a night last summer when I was the only student who showed up.

There were 2 Instructors, 1 Assistant Instructor and myself. When it became clear I was the only student who showed up, they asked if I wanted to train or should they cancel class. I was thinking, Oh God, these people know what they're doing and they're gonna throw my sorry butt all over this dojang for the next hour and a half - this is gonna be one large crucible of pain. But I told them yes, I'm here and I want to train.

I'm so glad I did, I really learned a lot in that class. My Hapkido techniques always felt like I was playing a Game of Twister (off balance, feet not in the right place, not moving properly, strange body contortions, etc. - The classic definition of a Game of Twister)

Those 3 people worked with me for a solid hour and a half to improve me.
When class ended, I wouldn't have traded that time for a pound of gold.

I think a private session was very beneficial to me. Wouldn't want to do it exclusively, I would miss the camaraderie and friendships of the other folks in the dojang.

Just my 2 cents

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When we first started our school, we gave out lots of private lessons!

No, wait, only one person would show up for class.

Jeff

:lol:

In the dojang I attend we typically have between 4 and 8 instructors in the class of about 12 to 16 students, so in every class there is personal instruction to each belt level, to make sure you are learning, understanding, and mastering what you need to know for your next test, and making sure you are continually reinforcing all that you've already learned. It's a great place :D

G

Gary Crawford

With not all situations being the same, all I can do is tell about my experience with private instruction. I always benifitted at every level. My instructor was really good guy,not the main istructor,but more than confident. I was able to bounce all my stupid ideas off of him and he would show me why they were stupid without letting me embarras myself in class with them. He was the guy who taught me the most,boosted my confidense when I needed it and put me in my place when I needed that too. My parents paid for all the instruction back then so I can't say what the cost was. I think instructors should be paid for thier time and effort,but I also think most instructors do give finacial(or should) breaks to those who need it.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We include privates in every package. The higher you go in rank, the more privates that are added. One of the perks of being an instructor is that you get a one hour private every week with your BB instructor.

They are an immense help to students. At the beginning level, the group environment can be a bit overwhelming and a lot of stuff missed. An occasional one on one session is a great way to make sure the student is "getting it" and also allows the instructor to help them adjust to the environment. As you go up in rank, the one on one training definitely helps when it comes to detailing and tailoring instruction to the individual student, so that they get the maximum benefit, something that's hard to do in a group setting.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One on one practice with a black belt is definitely helpful for beginning and intermediate students, but I do not recommend private lessons, for several reasons. First, as much as possible, students need the experience and synergy of group practice to energize each other and understand various body types and technical abilities. You need to practice against fast guys, big guys, long legged guys, guys who favor a particular technique, really tall guys etc. That's impossible if it's private lessons.
Second, I think private lessons send the wrong message. Some will undoubtably disagree, but I think private lessons send a message that this person is special and deserves treatment away from the others. It breeds jealousy and resentment. If they need help, have a black belt who can help them work with them individually on their trouble areas.
In 26 years of Tae Kwon Do, I practiced individually with my Instructor once. And only because I was the only one to show up for class that night. I guess he figured if I was that dedicated, I deserved the individual attention.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Second, I think private lessons send the wrong message. Some will undoubtably disagree, but I think private lessons send a message that this person is special and deserves treatment away from the others. It breeds jealousy and resentment. If they need help, have a black belt who can help them work with them individually on their trouble areas.

I disagree, so I'm not supposed to take private lessons because it may hurt someone else's feelings? Does that same person resent that I may get a tutor in school to really excel in a subject? How is "having a black belt who can help them work with them individually" different than a private lesson?

Lamont

Latest Discussions