President Bush Pardons himself for War Crimes

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I heard the president has purchased a 100,000 acre ranch in Paraguay. Maybe he thinks he will be run out of the country.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's disturbing what people will put up with as long as it's not them... yet...

Indeed. The quote
[FONT=Callisto MT,Georgia,Book Antiqua,Palatino,Times New Roman,Serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]In Germany they first came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me —
and by that time no one was left to speak up.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
has multiple attributions (and often contradictory ones) but is very relevant in this case.

It is truly disturbing to me what the American people will put up with.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
If that worked, why was Clinton impeached, and why did Nixon have to resign?

It just astounds me as to what this administration is capable of.:erg:
icon8.gif

To me it seems that to vote for Republican, especially with ties to the current strain of the Republican party it is like selling your soul to the devil.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that worked, why was Clinton impeached, and why did Nixon have to resign?

I think because unlike them, Bush is getting it put into a law that he has passed.

What I wonder is if Bush were to leave the country and visit overseas to some place like Italy (which if I recall some of the CIA snatching occurred), would they try and arrest him ane charge him. Just because he says he is free and clear here, I wonder if that means he is truly free and clear, I also wonder if now that this has come to light, if the dems get control of Congress would they try to pass a new law invalidating that nice little line that he had thrown in. I have a lot of issues with that law as a whole. I have problems with the fact that you can be picked up off the street and told you are whatever and have no way of challenging in court what they say until (IF) they bring you to trial like 5 years later....if you are lucky...

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoRjbIQMXGQ&eurl=

Apparently, President Bush "pardoned" himself for War Crimes. What do you think?

I'd like to see the wording. Assuming they are correct, its a bit odd. Is there any form of precedent I wonder...

I'll have to agree with Marginal. I think Clinton/Nixon could have had ALOT easier time if they could do a retroactive pardon on themselves.

Also, considering that Bush himself is not the bill author, in essence the congress would be issueing the "pardon". Minor point though. I'm also wondering the difference between what they claim to be immunity and pardoning.

Other issues have been discussed elsewhere on this board, such as the definition of torture, what exactly was done and with whose knowledge. I won't go into them here.

Regardless, w/out further information, it does look rather suspicious.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This comes as a surprise?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Servicemembers'_Protection_Act

The US has been refusing to allow its citizens and polititicians to be tried by international courts for a while now. And that law would give the US the ability to use military force if any outside power got a hold of Bush, or any other American, and tried to put them on trial.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Bush bush bush you pardon yourself, but will god pardon you!!!
Probably, because his is the New Testament "loving" god... not the old testament "Never forgive and never forget" wrathful god. :)

*sarcasm off*

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The US has been refusing to allow its citizens and polititicians to be tried by international courts for a while now. And that law would give the US the ability to use military force if any outside power got a hold of Bush, or any other American, and tried to put them on trial.

Well maybe if another government apprehended him, he might get sent to a secret prison somewhere off the maps for about five years before being formally charged. Then he is tried in a secret tribunal without benefit of legal counsel nor the right to face his accusers or see the evidence brought against him, and using confessions that were beaten out of him and his cronies. Maybe we wouldn't even know about it until it was over...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is truly disturbing to me what the American people will put up with.

So what do you suggest we do, take up arms?

The election isnt here yet, and if this isn't proof that we cant find him guilty of anything, what is?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Said government would get the crap bombed out of it, and if said country was unknown, Iraq would just get bombed some more instead ;)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
My 104 great grandmother said they took care of rascal politicians in their day. Anyone hear of Mussolini and his end?