Priest stripped of duties

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
for celebrating mass with an ordained member of Roman Catholic advocacy group Womenpriests.

This is not a post to bash the church, though their reasoning is relatively laughable, claiming to have no authority over the matter...oh well...

Alas this little bit caught my eye:
Pope urges 'obedience'
Pope John Paul II issued a letter in 1994 saying that the church "has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women," and in 2010 the church included the "attempted ordination of women" among the list of grave crimes against its law, under the same category as the sexual abuse of minors. Grave crimes are punishable by defrocking or excommunication.

we all know how grave the punishment was and is fr the Pedophiles preying on their flock....

On the up note, the Priest in question is 92 years old....seriously, can they punish him at all at this stage in the game? Even though he might yet have a good decade ahead of him or more.

As far as women in the church go, if I had the problem attracting new employees as the church has, I'd rethink my hiring practices...it reeks of irony when the head honcho of a women's organization is a guy.....but that is just a minor side note.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They're definitely working on ensuring their own demise this way--allowing women into the priesthood could seriously improve their problem with finding new candidates for priesthood.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They're definitely working on ensuring their own demise this way--allowing women into the priesthood could seriously improve their problem with finding new candidates for priesthood.

Heck, just allowing the priests to marry....instead of paying secretly child support for up to 3 children....

However, I find the punishment eye-opening: Ordaining women is in their eyes as bad as violating a person and breaking the law of most of the nations of the world....

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...duties-for-celebrating-mass-with-woman-priest

A Milwaukee-area Catholic priest was stripped of his priestly duties after he presided over a Mass with a woman priest last month in Georgia.

On Nov. 17, the Rev. Bill Brennan, a 92-year-old Jesuit, performed a liturgy in Columbus, Ga., at which Janice Sevre-Duszynska, an ordained member of Roman Catholic advocacy group Womenpriests, which is not sanctioned by the Vatican, was a participant.

So, bugger an altar boy and you get quietly transfered to another area. Allow equal rights to a *gasp* WOMAN and you get defrocked.

:facepalm:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed all around. Letting priests marry would also help them and this categorization is indeed offensive. As George Carlin said, if he'd started a religion the First Commandment would have been Keep your hands off the children!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know, we do place restrictions on religions - we don't allow polygamy or sexual abuse of children, even when it's cloaked in religious mummery.
Personally, I think this sort of thing should fall into the same category. We'd be all over a church that refused to allow participation based on race. We should be equally intolerant of a church refusing equal rights based on gender.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Administrative note:

The thread "A religious abomination" was merged with this thread to consolidate discussion.

Wes Yager
MT Moderator

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As long as you all are gleefully bashing Catholicism, consider that Islam also only allows male clerics. Bash them too, or, even better, STFU.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As long as you all are gleefully bashing Catholicism, consider that Islam also only allows male clerics. Bash them too, or, even better, STFU.

You were doing great until your last ETLA ... except for the "gleefully" part. I don't think it is wrong to expose and condemn criminal activity, do you? For my part, it is irrelevant to me what flag or other cloth of convenience a criminal tries to hide behind - if what they do is wrong then then should be tried for it in a court of law and sentenced according to their guilt.

And don't get me going on the Catholic church - we have a bit of a history with that treacherous body over here in Britain (we sort of frown on plotting to overthrow the government on behalf of a foreign power you know :D).

A small sample:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babington_Plot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridolfi_plot

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/...plot/articles/the-story-of-the-gunpowder-plot

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/Tudor.html

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Bigotry is not nice, whether it's based on race, religion or gender. This sort of mysogynistic barbarism is unacceptable to civilized people.
You'd be (rightfully) up in arms if I said "X cannot do this because they're catholic", and yet you find it acceptable to say "X cannot do this because they don't have a penis." Very sad.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The point ALL of you are missing is not so much that they are not willing to hand over the keys to the sacristy to somebody having to squat to pee, but the fact that the idea of handing over the key to the inner sanctum will net you a sentence equal to somebody who has broken actual laws and commited offences against morality!
Or rather more severe pinishment is dealt to those who break this rule than to those who commit the unspeakable evil.

This is not about Islam. We bash them guys some other time.
This is about a bunch of guys who make the rules and throw up their hands 'we don't have the authority'
Those are the same guys who claim that homosexuality is a sin, but protect those who force it upon innocent children.

The rules are only as good as the person who breaks them....

Latest Discussions