Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have stumbled across this trailer for a new Aliens movie:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Prometheus6812

Looks pretty good, tho' trailers are always deceiving. Is it a prequel, laying the groundwork for Alien as to where the wrecked ship came from? Or is it a spin-off on a different world to LV426?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From some of the stuff I've seen, it's a prequel or prefiguring. It's not going to lead right into the first movie (Alien), but it seems like it's going to lay enough groundwork to see how the first one comes about.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I'm seeing it's more about the Weyland/Yutani company and what happened on that voyage that started the whole thing going. They are the company that own the pace ships, run the prison, built Bishop, pretty much everything. Oddly enough, we saw the founding of the company in AVP:R when Yutani found the Predator technology.

It's not a spin off or a prequel. It's more of the same universe, but more human centric rather than the previous Alien/Predator movies.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have stumbled across this trailer for a new Aliens movie:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Prometheus6812

Looks pretty good, tho' trailers are always deceiving. Is it a prequel, laying the groundwork for Alien as to where the wrecked ship came from? Or is it a spin-off on a different world to LV426?

Apparently it was supposed to be a prequel, but drifted away and now it's a search for the origins of mankind based on a starmap found in the usual place (aztec/myan carvings - alhough if those things could be trusted, we'd all be dead long before the time the movie portrays).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(film)

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My impression is that, historically, it sits prior to the Nostromo and Ripley - the general impression I get is that it is laying the back-story for the Jockey-ship but I can't quite get that to make sense with the 'lore' of the Alien universe.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My impression is that, historically, it sits prior to the Nostromo and Ripley - the general impression I get is that it is laying the back-story for the Jockey-ship but I can't quite get that to make sense with the 'lore' of the Alien universe.

That's exactly that I had heard as well, that it was going to be a prequel of sorts and introduce the Alien species, but from what little I've seen on it they may not necessarily resemble the same look of the aliens that we're used to from the original series.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, it ties into the Aliens/Predator universe through the Weyland Yutani Comapny.

The Weyland-Yutani Corporation established initial human contact with the Xenomorph species on Acheron LV-426, the middle moon of 3 that orbits around the ringed planet Calpamos (although it has been alluded to in the film as well as in others like the AVP series that there may have been contact established sometime before) and later established the Hadley's Hope settlement there. (Alien , Aliens )
Weyland-Yutani apparently had its antecedents in two twenty-first century companies: Weyland Industries andanother company linked to a Ms. Yutani. (Alien vs. Predator, Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem) The two compaines finally merged in the year 2030, after buying out Borgia Industries and obtaining the rights to their "Prometheus" weaponry, which was in reality stolen Yautja technology.
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/File:Aliens-Weyland-Yutani_Sign.pngThe Weyland-Yutani Corp. logo at Hadley's Hope, featuring the "building better worlds" slogan.
20px-Avatar.jpg
Added byJayunderscorezero
In Alien vs. Predator, the founder of Weyland Industries is shown to be Charles Bishop Weyland. He is played by Lance Henriksen, the actor who played the android Bishop in Aliens and Alien³. In Alien³, Bishop II says theandroid Bishop was modeled after him. In the novelization of Alien³ (released before Alien vs. Predator), it is said that the Bishop android was created by a Weyland-Yutani employee named Michael Bishop. In the finale of Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, the man who called himself Colonel Stevens meets with a woman named Ms. Yutani, offering her a Predator gun recovered from the survivors of the explosion in Gunnison, Colorado.Weylan-Yutani was the original name of the Weyland-Yutani corporation.
The name "Weylan-Yutani"was created by Ron Cobb, one of the designers of the Nostromo and its crew's uniforms.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Weyland-Yutani
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(franchise)

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I do pay attention when I watch/read things you know, even when it is as achingly bad as AvP II :D.

I used to be something of a fan of the series at one time {I've even watched Alien III more than once, the first of those times being at the cinema :lol:}. The 'graphic novels' passed me by tho', I have to confess. I preferred the traditional ones, so there are no doubt some gaps in my lore-mastery when it comes to how the Predator's tie in with the Jockey.

Could the Jockey's be the race from which the Predators got their technological leg up? Or has that been explained away by the Caste system the Preds apparently have? I got the impression from the books that their tech base wasn't their own?

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Could the Jockey's be the race from which the Predators got their technological leg up? Or has that been explained away by the Caste system the Preds apparently have? I got the impression from the books that their tech base wasn't their own?[/QUOTE said:
From my understanding the jockey's were supposed to have been the ones that "engineered" the aliens. I'm assuming like with most horror movies that it went terribly wrong somewhere which would explain the fossilized jockey from the first Alien movie. I thought there was a trailer for Prometheus that actually showed a very brief glimpse of the jockey in it's seat and something breaking out of it's chest.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another good trailer here:

[yt]34cEo0VhfGE[/yt]

I can only hope that the film lives up to the excitement it is already engendering.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not clear if this is part of the film or a marketing ploy prior to release but it's good :)

[yt]dQpGwnN3dfc[/yt]