Scriptfrenzy

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's that time again. The goal is to write a screenplay, stage play, or comic script in the month of April. Simple rules. 100 pages or more in one month.

Lots of resources and help, and loads of fun. I won last year and finished a 115 page movie screenplay. Looking to repeat this year. Who's with me?

Http://www.scriptfrenzy.org

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish I had the time, Steve. Screenplays are always fun.
My old computer crapped out last year and I lost my script program (Final Draft. I lost the disc, actually). I didn't like the free ones online. Any suggestions on any free ones available?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Celtx is the one most people use. You just need to create an account (email and password only) and then download the software. It's pretty good. There's a free version that does everything you need to write a screenplay. Or you can pay $10 to unlock some additional features, like an index card function.

I use Scrivener, which I like, but it's not free. Not too bad, though. $40 for Windows and I believe a bit less for the MAC.

Honestly, last year I used a screenplay template for MS Word and it worked really well.

Timewise, I hear you, but I found last year that it's pretty easy to get geared up for one month. Keeps you focused. I find myself choosing to write instead of, say, playing on the Xbox, choosing to produce rather than to consume. If that makes sense.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good luck Steve. I have always admired the discipline good authors put into their writing.
Regards
Brian King

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Celtx is the one most people use. You just need to create an account (email and password only) and then download the software. It's pretty good. There's a free version that does everything you need to write a screenplay. Or you can pay $10 to unlock some additional features, like an index card function.

I use Scrivener, which I like, but it's not free. Not too bad, though. $40 for Windows and I believe a bit less for the MAC.

Honestly, last year I used a screenplay template for MS Word and it worked really well.

Timewise, I hear you, but I found last year that it's pretty easy to get geared up for one month. Keeps you focused. I find myself choosing to write instead of, say, playing on the Xbox, choosing to produce rather than to consume. If that makes sense.

Yes, that makes all the sense in the world. Congrats on last years win, by the way, that's pretty cool.

I'll have to check out Scrivener. I use Linux, I'll see if they have it for that.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay guys. I'm well underway. I'm writing a drama this year. Still nailing down the logline (about two sentences long summary of the story), but it's getting there:
When his ex-wife, Sylvia, pushed James Milton into adopting a baby, it destroyed their marriage. Now, after 9 years without contact, Sylvia is dying and the child needs a father, and James is starting to understand that when your family needs your help, you can't leave them standing on the porch.

I have 21 pages written so far, which means I'm slightly behind pace for the month. But I don't see that as a problem. I can't write every day, but can bang out several pages at a shot. I don't know if anyone here is doing this or not, but if you are, I'd love to read what you're writing.

Also, if anyone at all is interested in reading the screenplay as I go, I'm happy to share via email. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you regular updates. I'd love to hear what you think, even if it's that you don't like it. Seriously. No ego here.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd love to read it Steve.

I haven't officially entered scriptfrenzy (maybe I should) but I've been toying with a story. About 30 pages so far.

The story is focused on two troubled industrialists in the Bay Area. Bryce is a politically-connected Virginia man who has an industrial software firm. Jing is a Brit of Taiwanese extraction who manufactures a brand of cell phones. Both companies are unspectacular. Neither man is a saint. They embark on a two month trip to mainland China to plan for a formal merger, but when they arrive they find their respective operations are in shambles from mismanagement and neglect. Word leaks out that the two companies were more likely to collapse then merge. Rumors and stories about mismanagement start to fly around. The stock prices tumble. Facing bankruptcy, Bryce and Jing are virtually forced remain in China to clean up their operations, but risk having their personal demons sabotage their efforts.

Bryce marched to the top of the steps where Jing toyed with a grey steel door. The door swung open, filling the stairwell with sunlight and the humming sounds from the heat exchangers feeding the floors below. The two men stepped on the gravel rooftop, and walked towards a small steel shed. They seemed to have a ritual. Away from the thin walls and office busybodies, this was one of the few locations where Jing was comfortable talking openly. Jing leaned against the shed, and pulled out a pack of clove cigarettes. He offered a smoke to Bryce, who politely declined.

Bryce stared out at the skyline and let his mind wander while Jing lit his cigarette, and enjoyed the first few puffs. Jing pulled the cigarette ouf of his mouth. "You're a brave man," he uttered. Bryce snapped back to attention. Jing nodded. "Yes, a brave man. Perhaps a stupid man, too."

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, what is NaNo to me is the Frenzy to Steve. I have created a monster! :)

I can't do script. Can't put it together and I ahve no writing buddy to help me out there, I am sticking to NaNo...

Latest Discussions