Preemptive Strike

OP
S

Stick Dummy

WHOAAA!

REALITY CHECK!

I N-E-V-E-R said "keyboard warrrior"

that was "someone else's" 10 cents

"Keyboard Bravado" as what I mentioned, and from the dictionary at hand it looks just a little different in both context and intent.

WT glad you survived your encounters

Ofta digest a boat load of combination fried rice and fried dumplings:D

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Friend of mine got in a sitch like this...

A guy decided to make an issue of something my friend had said to the guy's girlfriend (she was hitting on Sean when her boyfriend's back was turned, and when he told her to back off, she told her boyfriend he'd insulted her). The guy followed him out to the parking lot and brandished a swiss army knife at Sean. He was five or six feet away when he pulled the knife, and Sean said the guy didn't look like he really knew what to do with the weapon, since he was holding it point upward and didn't look like he had a real good grip...plus, the guy was too drunk to notice he was holding the blade side facing himself instead of my friend. Sean took a chance and moved his hand upward to distract, then snapkicked the guy's wrist. The knife went flying off somewhere, and, deprived of his toy, the attacker wasn't quite so brave, and turned tail and ran. I should probably add that Sean is a US Marine and trained for stuff like this. Had I been in that situation, I honestly have no idea what I would have done. Screamed my head off, probably.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

Had I been in that situation, I honestly have no idea what I would have done. Screamed my head off, probably.

Whatever gets you out of the tightspot can't be all bad!

Dan

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by nightingale8472

A guy decided to make an issue of something my friend had said to the guy's girlfriend (she was hitting on Sean when her boyfriend's back was turned, and when he told her to back off, she told her boyfriend he'd insulted her). The guy followed him out to the parking lot and brandished a swiss army knife at Sean. He was five or six feet away when he pulled the knife, and Sean said the guy didn't look like he really knew what to do with the weapon, since he was holding it point upward and didn't look like he had a real good grip...plus, the guy was too drunk to notice he was holding the blade side facing himself instead of my friend. Sean took a chance and moved his hand upward to distract, then snapkicked the guy's wrist. The knife went flying off somewhere, and, deprived of his toy, the attacker wasn't quite so brave, and turned tail and ran. I should probably add that Sean is a US Marine and trained for stuff like this. Had I been in that situation, I honestly have no idea what I would have done. Screamed my head off, probably.

Nightingale,

I am impressed with how Sean reacted in this situation. I am also impressed with the fact that he didn't persue the guy and beat him to a bloody mess on the floor after after he defused the situation (there aren't very many people that could let that kind of thing go without trying to make a bigger impression on onlookers and rubberneckers.)

I think that your honesty about how you would react in a similar situation should be commended. Screaming isn't bad, many times it will scare off an attacker. My only hope is that your journey in Kenpo gives you the confidence and ability to defend yourself if need be.

Great post! Keep workin hard,
Billy Lear:asian:

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
First, if the scenario went down as initially described, I am with Zoran, if the guy starts reaching, after a verbal confrontation, the door has been opened. I would attack at that point. If I was wrong, and he was reaching for a pack of gum, that is my bad, but if I was right, then I'm going home void of any extra holes in my anatomy.

Gary Catherman, Kenpoist.

Latest Discussions