Pre emptive strike

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
let's assume a pre-emtive strike is warranted as you have an honestly held belief that another individual is going to assault you and that individual is bigger, stronger and fitter than you.

what would be your choice of strike?

i think a shin kick or a 4 finger jab to the neck or throat before legging it. anyone have any better ideas?

Now that everyone has covered semantics and the law, what you posted is fine depending on the situation. You do what's necessary to neutralize the threat, no more, no less. This can be something more passive, like spinning the guy around and push him away while you make an exit. Or it could be something more extreme, like an eye gouge.

In our system, we do have several offensive SD techs with variations. I taught a couple seminars on offensive techs (covering various level of severity) that went over very well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do love that so many get fixated on the eye gouge...as in "well MMA isn't real because eye gouges aren't allowed, eye gouges are the best defence ever and it's the ultimate SD weapon"

OP
J

johnjones33

White Belt
Reaction score
@Tez sorry if i offended any police out there with my last post i was only repeating what i was told. like your suggestion of saying you are shaken up and want to wait before making a statement though!

i've done a lot of competitive boxing in my time and was once poked in the eye by a child relative by accident and couldn't see out of it for a week. most things outlawed in MMA are good tactics for street self defence KISS keep it simple and savage one instructor once told me. you have to be exceptionally tough to compete in MMA although many techniques aren't good for the street. knees and elbows wont last very long rolling around on concrete and an eye gouge amongst other things like groin shots would negate lots of the locks and holds etc

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Tez sorry if i offended any police out there with my last post i was only repeating what i was told. like your suggestion of saying you are shaken up and want to wait before making a statement though!

i've done a lot of competitive boxing in my time and was once poked in the eye by a child relative by accident and couldn't see out of it for a week. most things outlawed in MMA are good tactics for street self defence KISS keep it simple and savage one instructor once told me. you have to be exceptionally tough to compete in MMA although many techniques aren't good for the street. knees and elbows wont last very long rolling around on concrete and an eye gouge amongst other things like groin shots would negate lots of the locks and holds etc

Well we don't pretend that MMA is designed for street defence, it tends to be non MMA people that keep insisting that MMA isn't any good if you are attacked rather than us, it's usually just another way of putting MMA down. However, and I do get rather tired of saying this, it doesn't mean that what we do in MMA isn't easily adapted for defence as many defensive techniques can be adapted for MMA after, after all it is called Mixed Martial Arts. We take what works best from our many martial arts for competition, we can equally take what's good out of those martial arts for defending ourselves.

I'm not saying eye gouges don't work, I'm saying that there is almost an obsesson with them in certain quarters. It seems for some a sort of benchmark of whether your SD skills are any good whether you can do an eye gouge!

OP
J

johnjones33

White Belt
Reaction score
well i'm a huge fan of MMA and like boxing anyone practising and especially competing will be in exceptional shape which puts them above most plus they would have done realistic sparring more than likely. i was once told though that people react how they train and if you do not practice to use dirty tactics you wont do in neccessary situations. i once heard of a guy who handed a knife back to a mugger after he disarmed him as that is what they did in class. that may be a myth but it is quite funny if it really happened.

so you are a copper and a mma fighter, feel sorry for anyone you arrest!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i'm a huge fan of MMA and like boxing anyone practising and especially competing will be in exceptional shape which puts them above most plus they would have done realistic sparring more than likely. i was once told though that people react how they train and if you do not practice to use dirty tactics you wont do in neccessary situations. i once heard of a guy who handed a knife back to a mugger after he disarmed him as that is what they did in class. that may be a myth but it is quite funny if it really happened.

so you are a copper and a mma fighter, feel sorry for anyone you arrest!

And I'm a middle aged women lol. I don't fight now just coach, corner, judge and ref (the only female pro rules MMA ref outside the States boast, boast!) Not a civvy copper tho, work for the MOD.

You can come up and find out for yourself on 5th Nov, we are having a fight night for military charities! Still matching fights and planning displays, (Scots Guards pipe and drums coming as well as BJJ demos etc) I will show you that while many say you only fight how you train that it's a bit of a fallacy where a lot of MMA fighters are concerned. Many fighters are doormen, coppers, prison officers and trad martial artists who can switch easily from SD to competition and back. You can ask Ian Freeman about it, he's probably has had as many fights outside the cage as in lol. I do think if you aren't training to get hit though you will not do well if attacked, it's more about not freezing and being able to react than whether you can fight dirty, I actually think everyone can fight dirty if pushed.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do love that so many get fixated on the eye gouge...as in "well MMA isn't real because eye gouges aren't allowed, eye gouges are the best defence ever and it's the ultimate SD weapon"

People say all kinds of goofy things, such as "If that would work, they would be doing it in MMA". I have great respect for MMA, especially since our group was there during it's inception. Those that discount MMA or consider it the answer to all, are usually people with very little training experience.

As far as my post, it is not a fixation. It was meant as a representation of 2 polar extremes. I could have gone more extreme, such as an ear box followed by a double thumb eye gouge that is followed with a head butt to finish it. :) Gets a little silly at that point.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People say all kinds of goofy things, such as "If that would work, they would be doing it in MMA". I have great respect for MMA, especially since our group was there during it's inception. Those that discount MMA or consider it the answer to all, are usually people with very little training experience.

As far as my post, it is not a fixation. It was meant as a representation of 2 polar extremes. I could have gone more extreme, such as an ear box followed by a double thumb eye gouge that is followed with a head butt to finish it. :) Gets a little silly at that point.

Tbh it wasn't your post really I was getting at, it's just that it's becoming a cliche. Put 'eye gouge' into the search box here and you'll see you'll get five pages, now look at the titles of the threads and you'll maybe see what I mean.

My instructor teaches that if you are going to stick your fingers in people's eyes you should lick your fingers first so that the eyeball doesn't stick on them........grosses most people out and is a good joke lol :uhyeah:

Lee Mainprize

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like the finger in throat with cupped hand from fence or just straight into big right hand or palm strike for beginners. I think learning to be in the moment and live when its required is probably just as if not more important than training to pre-empt!

Latest Discussions