Backfist multi-strike drill

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sharing part of my training again. A summary of what you are looking at. In the order of techniques.
1. Step behind opponents leg into horse
2. Straight punch
3. Opponent grabs arm pulls back to escape and counter with back fist
4. Repeat #3 left side
5. Double punch
6. Double escape counter with double backfist.
7. Left left legs sweeps /interferes with opponents leg /knee ligament extension
8. Double punch
9. Double escape and counter with double backist
10 Return to center (elbow strike or strike using body or strike with shoulder, body bounce)
11. Shoot into opponent
12. Double punch
13. Double escape and counter with double backfist
14. Return to center (elbow strike or strike using body or strike with shoulder, body bounce)
15. Elbow strike or elbow cover (defensive)
16. Shoot into knife hand
17. Elbow Joint crank / lock, headlock, neck crank, leg capture from kick, punch capture/ trap.
Repeat.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sharing part of my training again. A summary of what you are looking at. In the order of techniques.
1. Step behind opponents leg into horse
2. Straight punch
3. Opponent grabs arm pulls back to escape and counter with back fist
4. Repeat #3 left side
5. Double punch
6. Double escape counter with double backfist.
7. Left left legs sweeps /interferes with opponents leg /knee ligament extension
8. Double punch
9. Double escape and counter with double backist
10 Return to center (elbow strike or strike using body or strike with shoulder, body bounce)
11. Shoot into opponent
12. Double punch
13. Double escape and counter with double backfist
14. Return to center (elbow strike or strike using body or strike with shoulder, body bounce)
15. Elbow strike or elbow cover (defensive)
16. Shoot into knife hand
17. Elbow Joint crank / lock, headlock, neck crank, leg capture from kick, punch capture/ trap.
Repeat.

it rather looks like your practising fighting 4 opponents coming at you one at a time from the compass points, there seems an obvious failure point, if he doesnt stand still whilst you step behind him, in my experiences that seldom happens

why not just knock him over, kick him and go and have a coffee, you seem to be wasting an inordinate amount of time and effort spinning like a top

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it rather looks like your practising fighting 4 opponents coming at you one at a time from the compass points

why not just knock him over, kick him and go and have a coffee
The four directions is so I don't base my orientation on my surroundings. With forms it's easy to learn how to do a form in one direction but get lost when you turn to face another direction. For my drills I will face different directions. All of the strikes are Single attacker strikes and individual strikes or escapes. There are no combinations in this one. I would lose a fight if I tried to use these as fighting combinations. I wouldn't fight in the horse stance facing my opponent like that. That's just asking to be kicked in the groin. But I may transition into a horse like stance to escape someone grabbing my forearm, pulling back to bring them closer and then twisting into a backfist to the face or collar bone. It's not a guarantee that I'll move into horse. My stance is going to be dictated by the type of resistance that I get when trying to escape my opponents grasp. In the drill the horse stance forces me to learn how to generate punching power with just my upper body.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it rather looks like your practising fighting 4 opponents coming at you one at a time from the compass points, there seems an obvious failure point, if he doesnt stand still whilst you step behind him, in my experiences that seldom happens ...why not just knock him over, kick him and go and have a coffee, you seem to be wasting an inordinate amount of time and effort spinning like a top

Nonsense. Stop for a cup of coffee first and you won't even have to waste time knocking anyone down!

That said, I think you are being too literal about how the form is supposed to relate to the real world. But, I'm guessing, so ask Jow Ga.

I myself do some forms that pivot in four directions, moving in a tight box pattern. Those are just done to practice the 90° stance pivot, and yeah, possibly defending against an attack initiated from the side. But not four sideward attacks. We do four pivots for repetition, for symmetry (so you end up where you started) and most of all, so you can practice in a small space. Otherwise you can just continue forward.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The four directions is so I don't base my orientation on my surroundings. With forms it's easy to learn how to do a form in one direction but get lost when you turn to face another direction...

Sorry, I was writing my "speculations" while you were posting this, the actual answer. :)

By the way, the pivoting "box-pattern" (also an expanded figure-eight pattern) set I was referencing in my post is for Escrima using sticks. If you are working inside and you don't pivot and make it very compact, you tend to break things and make your wife very, very angry. And nobody's taught me how to defend against that! :eek:

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really cool JGW :)

I love that rollover backfist...
it's one of my favorite demo applications where I ask someone to grab my wrist and when they do. I pull them back and their face falls into the back fist shooting out. The twist breaks the grip. It's a heavy backfist that you can use to break the collarbone or facial bones. You can turn it to the side and use it the same way.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The four directions is so I don't base my orientation on my surroundings. ... All of the strikes are Single attacker strikes and individual strikes or escapes. There are no combinations in this one.
I arrange all my drills in 2 directions. When I turn around, I can repeat for the other side.

I like to train combo instead of single technique. For example, hook punch, back fist, uppercut. This way I can image my opponent who dodges under my hook punch. IMO, it's more fun to train combo (use 1 move to set up next move).

I like to train all my moves with foot work such as step in front leg, back leg slide. This way, I can train my "dynamic punch" instead of only "static punch".

Here is example of dynamic punch - all punches combined with footwork.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I arrange all my drills in 2 directions. When I turn around, I can repeat for the other side.

I like to train combo instead of single technique. For example, hook punch, back fist, uppercut. This way I can image my opponent who dodges under my hook punch. IMO, it's more fun to train combo (use 1 move to set up next move).

I like to train all my moves with foot work such as step in front leg, back leg slide. This way, I can train my "dynamic punch" instead of only "static punch".

Here is example of dynamic punch - all punches combined with footwork.

I have a separate training for stuff like you are talking about. What you describe is the same as my
1. One man shadow boxing.
2 Two Man Shadow boxing
3. Combination Endurance training.

These three things do what you describe.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
it rather looks like your practising fighting 4 opponents coming at you one at a time from the compass points, there seems an obvious failure point, if he doesnt stand still whilst you step behind him, in my experiences that seldom happens

why not just knock him over, kick him and go and have a coffee, you seem to be wasting an inordinate amount of time and effort spinning like a top
Because he’s training....it’s a training drill that’s all. I know you like to tell everyone what they’re doing is useless and won’t work just because you don’t do it but the guys just doing a training drill to improve different aspects

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nonsense. Stop for a cup of coffee first and you won't even have to waste time knocking anyone down!

That said, I think you are being too literal about how the form is supposed to relate to the real world. But, I'm guessing, so ask Jow Ga.

I myself do some forms that pivot in four directions, moving in a tight box pattern. Those are just done to practice the 90° stance pivot, and yeah, possibly defending against an attack initiated from the side. But not four sideward attacks. We do four pivots for repetition, for symmetry (so you end up where you started) and most of all, so you can practice in a small space. Otherwise you can just continue forward.

Back fists are for when you are already drinking coffee and you want someone to eat hot revenge.

Latest Discussions