Practicing with a bigger guy

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you expect to rely on eye gouges or the like, you have already lost.
Sean

Hello, OK ..We lost...What do you recommend?

Aloha,

..how come tournament rules do not allow eye pokeing and gouges? ....guessing not effective? ...it a good thing we learn other things too...spitting and biting...slapping is good too..

What did one eye, say to the other eye? ...between you and me? something "smells"..

Last edited:

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
Being a smaller guy myself, I constantly train with people bigger and stonger than myself, and I can tell you from experiance that it is not simply a matter of applying more force/strength. Knowing the right angels, and understanding momentum has helped me make up for my smaller stature. Also, being fast as hell helps!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, OK ..We lost...What do you recommend?

Aloha,

..how come tournament rules do not allow eye pokeing and gouges? ....guessing not effective? ...it a good thing we learn other things too...spitting and biting...slapping is good too..

What did one eye, say to the other eye? ...between you and me? something "smells"..
Its just that eye gouges are a pipe dream. At least 90% of martial arts application is non lethal crap that occurs from day to day. And you go to jail for puting people eyes out. Lets just try learning the bigger picture.
Sean

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its just that eye gouges are a pipe dream. At least 90% of martial arts application is non lethal crap that occurs from day to day. And you go to jail for puting people eyes out. Lets just try learning the bigger picture.
Sean

Hello, Please explain? " ..lets just try learning the bigger picture?"...

Need "eye"'s to see the bigger picture? ....unless you poking'em...

Eye gouging is one technique...raking the eyes is another technique..that scatches the outer surface..which can heal...in time..

Raking one eyes...will give you a chance to escape or fight back...?

Touch of Death? ...one touch we die? ...eye ball touching..is it the same..?

Sorry just having fun here....

Everyone knows there are techniques ...which one has to choose NOT to use...and Know when to use those to save a life or your own life...

...and take the tarkets...when it becomes available too....

Never limit one self to one tarket ...to save one self or saving others....
Eyes..is just another tarket..this one believes...can be very effective...

A woman get throw down and jump by a rapist...her hands can reach his face? ...(A).; should she hug him? (B)....kiss him? ...or (C)gouge his eyes?

My Daughter does High School Wrestling and Judo....only 106lbs....and does not want to learn ""Kempo" our style...

What technique do you think I tell her the most of.....(A) is for me....hope you (C) the answers.....

Aloha, ....seeing is believing...or NOT seeing? .....UM?

PS: Just having fun....& and practicing the the 7 deadly techniques...
and learning about the Big Picture too...in HID's

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Final fiqure it out? by "Touch of Death".

LETS JUST TRY LEARNING THE BIGGER PICTURE....meaning...

"To look at it with Bigger Eyes...."

Aloha,

Thanks...still learning..

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think learning to get off the line of attack and circling a lager opponent is more usefull than expecting to end the fight with and eye poke or gouge.
Sean

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think learning to get off the line of attack and circling a lager opponent is more usefull than expecting to end the fight with and eye poke or gouge.
Sean

Hello, Avoidance is always a good choice and being out line of attack or circling is a good idea...

Can we be out of line of attack or go in circles for "ever"?

..than we need to decide? ...fight or flee? if we run? ...must run faster and farther..

...if we decide to "fight" ? ...use what we know to end any confrontations...the "eyes" ...can be the nose...can be the throat,..can be knees, can be the groin....or those "eyes" ..two tarkets here..

Aloha, ...MY first choice ...is the eyes! ...when can?

One must see to succeed...take away the sights? ...makes things more easy...

I am sure when sparring someone always gets hit in the eyes...and must Stop! ..see it works

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm 5'4", so I'm shorter than almost everyone in my dojo. I regularly spar with men 6' and over, and one of my sparring partners is 6'6" and 260 lbs. So I am always interested in advice on how to neutralize a height advantage.

Clearly, in EPAK (and I assume other styles of kenpo) we are given techniques which allow us to cancel the height zone of a larger attacker. Knee shots, groin shots, sweeps, etc...all are good if your attacker is 1) not a trained MA and 2) committed to an attack that you've been trained to deal with (eg. right step through punch). But it's a different story when you are squared up with a guy who is trained and wanting to go toe to toe (and this difference has been discussed repeatedly in other threads). In this case, it becomes a huge challenge for a smaller person to overcome the natural advantage of more mass and greater reach that the larger opponent possesses.

I'm a yellow belt, so I'm a raw beginner. But I'm slowly starting to add some skills to my repertoire that I can rely on while sparring. Two things I've started using with really big opponents are low leg kicks ( I try to combine these with punching combos but I still suck at that), and getting inside his reach, latching onto him, and throwing knees. If he bear hugs me then I stomp feet and bite and reach down and squeeze that groin.

Additional advice would be appreciated!!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm 5'4", so I'm shorter than almost everyone in my dojo. I regularly spar with men 6' and over, and one of my sparring partners is 6'6" and 260 lbs. So I am always interested in advice on how to neutralize a height advantage.

Clearly, in EPAK (and I assume other styles of kenpo) we are given techniques which allow us to cancel the height zone of a larger attacker. Knee shots, groin shots, sweeps, etc...all are good if your attacker is 1) not a trained MA and 2) committed to an attack that you've been trained to deal with (eg. right step through punch). But it's a different story when you are squared up with a guy who is trained and wanting to go toe to toe (and this difference has been discussed repeatedly in other threads). In this case, it becomes a huge challenge for a smaller person to overcome the natural advantage of more mass and greater reach that the larger opponent possesses.

I'm a yellow belt, so I'm a raw beginner. But I'm slowly starting to add some skills to my repertoire that I can rely on while sparring. Two things I've started using with really big opponents are low leg kicks ( I try to combine these with punching combos but I still suck at that), and getting inside his reach, latching onto him, and throwing knees. If he bear hugs me then I stomp feet and bite and reach down and squeeze that groin.

Additional advice would be appreciated!!

Hello, On the streets..if you are wearing shoes? ....kicking someone in the shins? ....usually will hurt your attacker...

Can be done fast and unseen...easy to do low kicks...then down them...stomp on the ankles and run...approx 42 bones in the foot...break a few...gives you a running advantages..

Aloha,

...If up close..perfer "side of the shoe" rake method... (steel toe shoes helps too) ..and still poke them in the eyes too....Ha! Ha! ...deadly touching..UM!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't over-reach or lean. Fight your fight at your level and don't expose your self to get a head shot. Learn to get and stay off the line of attack.
Sean

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't over-reach or lean. Fight your fight at your level and don't expose your self to get a head shot. Learn to get and stay off the line of attack.
Sean

Good advice. I'm bad about over-reaching and leaning in, because my reach is so limited and I want to press an attack but I don't want to get my head punched. Last week I hunkered down a bit and focused on lower body and groin shots, which helped.

Latest Discussions