Practicing Sparring without a Partner

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To your original question, a few thoughts:
  • You can't practice sparring without a partner, but you can practice for sparring without one. Heavy bag, double-end bag, shadow boxing, etc. will all contribute to your sparring ability and do not require a partner.
  • Many MMA gyms seem to have open-mat time, and some (perhaps all - not sure) allow folks from outside the gym to come in to spar/roll. The same may be true of some boxing gyms. I'd be careful to not talk yourself up, so folks don't think you're looking to prove anything. At the very least, you might find a willing sparring partner at one of those locations, someone interested in getting together from time to time. You might also ask around at Karate schools - check with the instructor and see if he would pass the request along to appropriate students.
  • Look to spar outside your art and especially outside your school. You want exposure to different approaches, as that will sharpen you faster.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Talk to the people who are in your class. I would imagine some of them would be interested in getting together outside of class for some sparring.
There may already be a group of them who do this already and you just need to plug in.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
As already stated; Ask your fellow students to spar or check out other gyms.
We have scheduled open sparring & grappling times at my school every week. Others do as well.

As to your age...I'm very soon to be 64, competed yesterday. Had a great time getting rolled by a younger heavier gentleman because there was no one in my division. Won my second match and in a final faced the same I lost to in the first and out pointed him due to being in better overall physical shape.

Age is but a number.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As already stated; Ask your fellow students to spar or check out other gyms.
We have scheduled open sparring & grappling times at my school every week. Others do as well.

As to your age...I'm very soon to be 64, competed yesterday. Had a great time getting rolled by a younger heavier gentleman because there was no one in my division. Won my second match and in a final faced the same I lost to in the first and out pointed him due to being in better overall physical shape.

Age is but a number.

Fricken' Danny. That SO rocks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL...Wish I could get my wife to feel the same. Certainly have had her support for our 40 years but plain thinks I'm foolish to still be doing this.
Tell her we think it’s awesome. I’m sure the opinions of some random people on an Internet forum will sway her.

EDIT: Numerous typos.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL...Wish I could get my wife to feel the same. Certainly have had her support for our 40 years but plain thinks I'm foolish to still be doing this.
I’ve only been married for going on 12 years, and we’ve been together going on 16 years. So I won’t pretend to know nearly as much about wives as you do. But one thing I do know - they think pretty much everything we do is “foolish.” Then again, can you really blame them? After all, guys don’t really grow up, we just get older.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tell her we think it’s awesome. I’m sure the opinions of some random people on an Internet forum will sway her.

EDIT: Numerous typos.
Yeah, that’ll work. About as effectively as my 7 year old daughter pointing out the things she thinks are acceptable just because her friends do it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, you might've left it a bit late to represent at the Olympics...

But other competition?

I'll be competing this year, and I'm 40.

And you are still a youngster!

I know a chap who competed in the UFC, the first Brit to do so, as well as fighting in Russia and other places, he didn't start competing until his middle 30s. Lots of people competing in martial arts into their 50s and 60s as well. 20 is a mere child :D

Reactions: pdg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve only been married for going on 12 years, and we’ve been together going on 16 years. So I won’t pretend to know nearly as much about wives as you do. But one thing I do know - they think pretty much everything we do is “foolish.” Then again, can you really blame them? After all, guys don’t really grow up, we just get older.

What about wives then who compete in their 60s?

Yeah, that’ll work. About as effectively as my 7 year old daughter pointing out the things she thinks are acceptable just because her friends do it.

Then tell her I think it's awesome....................... and gets you out of the house and from under her feet.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Excuse? So I do have a chance to compete in spite of my age?

Definitely. Adult color belt divisions don't tend to have a lot of competitors, but they do have some. I coached at a tournament this past weekend, and I saw a division of 3 or 4 color belt women who were probably in their 40s and 50s competing. They weren't very flexible or fast, but they were trying really hard. I found it inspiring to see. I did see a couple of guys who looked like they were in the 60s or 70s with competitor badges on, but I didn't see them go.

Since you say you're on the east coast, there's an event coming up in May in Virginia called Spar Wars that I'm thinking about trying, where you can spar as much as you want for one fee (normally, in TKD tournaments, they do elimination brackets and you spar until you lose, so you might only go against one person, depending on how well you do and how many people signed up for your division). I think they do similar events in Florida and New York, if those are closer for you.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I entered our organization’s 40th anniversary tournament almost 2 years ago. It was 3 weeks before my 40th birthday. We had competitors from all over the world. The only continent not represented was Antarctica. There were 24 people in my division alone - 18 year old and up, 4th kyu.

Out of the 24 people, I’d estimate about 5 or 6 of us were over 30; the rest were in their 20s. And us over the hill guys held our own just fine. I was probably the youngest non-20s guy.

You’re never too old. Unless of course you want to compete in the kids’ divisions.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can do it. You just need to find your inner “katra”...

Is there no situation in life that can’t be compared to a Seinfeld episode?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can do it. You just need to find your inner “katra”...

Is there no situation in life that can’t be compared to a Seinfeld episode?
Hahahaha so so true... Seinfeld is genius... seriously whenever I have a catchup with some friends, can guarantee every single time there'll be a reference to or using an example from a Seinfeld episode XD

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hahahaha so so true... Seinfeld is genius... seriously whenever I have a catchup with some friends, can guarantee every single time there'll be a reference to or using an example from a Seinfeld episode XD
And here I was holding back on commenting on the thread , "From Okinawa to Korea". Is that the sequel to "Rochelle, Rochelle" and her journey from Milan to Minsk"?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And here I was holding back on commenting on the thread , "From Okinawa to Korea". Is that the sequel to "Rochelle, Rochelle" and her journey from Milan to Minsk"?
Hopefully George won’t run Bette Middler over at home plate before the play opens this time.

OP
D

DrewTheTKDStudent1992

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To your original question, a few thoughts:
  • You can't practice sparring without a partner, but you can practice for sparring without one. Heavy bag, double-end bag, shadow boxing, etc. will all contribute to your sparring ability and do not require a partner.
  • Many MMA gyms seem to have open-mat time, and some (perhaps all - not sure) allow folks from outside the gym to come in to spar/roll. The same may be true of some boxing gyms. I'd be careful to not talk yourself up, so folks don't think you're looking to prove anything. At the very least, you might find a willing sparring partner at one of those locations, someone interested in getting together from time to time. You might also ask around at Karate schools - check with the instructor and see if he would pass the request along to appropriate students.
  • Look to spar outside your art and especially outside your school. You want exposure to different approaches, as that will sharpen you faster.
Sounds great, thanks for the advice.

Latest Discussions