Post your Curriculum Vitae

C

chufeng

DAC,

I HIGHLY suspected you were ZDW's student when you first posted on the thread that asked if it was OK to gain rank recognition from others outside of your art.

Quite frankly, I could care less if ZDW (or whatever he chooses to call himself these days) teaches whatever it is he teaches...
I only hope that WHAT he teaches is helpful to his students.

I don't want to cast doubt on his students...
BUT, the terminology he used before was highly suspiscious.
OK, he didn't know...I accept that...many "sensei" in this country have been sold a bunch of crap about lineage and other things...
Doesn't mean they can't fight...doesn't necessarily make them bad teachers...but it does lump them together with those who would use titles to gain economic advantage at the cost of the ignorant...

ZDW has changed some of the terminology on his website...has it changed his teaching style? NO!

If he is legitimate, as you say, then the semantics should be small potatoes to you and your fellow students...

From the posts I've read (not counting the arguments) he seems to be genuinely interested in providing his students with the best he can offer...

My only complaint (and it is no longer an issue) was his absolute unwillingness to post his training history and WHO promoted him.
He has done that recently...and for that I thank him...

I've got certificates that say grandiose things...but, I don't feel grandiose (except maybe when I'm trying to get into a pair of pants that fit fit me four years ago)...
I recently changed my martial arts business card...it shows no rank...just that I teach, and I learn...

I think most folks will notice that once ZDW posted his biography, I backed off...way off...

Now, on with the discussions on this darn webBoard...

:asian:
chufeng

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The only comment I choose to make about that is that I have been training in the martial arts for a long time I have seen fake and ZDW knows how to teach self defence that really works I do work in a career where unfortunatelly I do have to test my skills occasionally. ZDW is the real deal in the dojo and I would not want to be on the recieving end of a real life attack by him.

C

chufeng

Then I congratulate both of you...

I am not opposed to innovation in the arts...only in fakery.

If what you say about ZDW, is true...I'm OK with that...

I commend you on being ballsy enough to defend your teacher in an open forum...very nice to see...

good training to both of you...

chufeng

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
chufeng

I thank you and hope if youre ever in florida you look me up I would like to meet you, you seem like a true martial artist.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DAC..florida
To ajka

to answer your question, yes I am ZDW's student, and I must admit I am impressed.

As you can see I benefited from this site, over the years I have trained with at least 50 Martial Artist's and I can honestly say that he is the real deal. He has plenty of credentials and wall candy but he also has the skills to back it up! and in my book thats what really matters, ZDW made me an offer thru a PM to train with him at his dojo and I accepted now Im hooked I extend this offer to anyone who is planning to visit this area, trust me when I say I dont think youll be disapointed, I thought my skills in self defence were pretty good, not to knock them but I still have much to learn. ZDW and myself only live about one hr. apart in neighboring counties so I understand it was easy for me to take him up on his offer, I would like someday to meet all of you if possible.

I'm glad that you are a positive individual in the sometimes cruel world.

I too hope to train with many of the people I talk to in here. I'm hoping that I can put everything in place so that I can quit working in the stressful Silicon Valley and go full time with martial arts. That will leave me the time to travel the states and train with my instructors and students and friends!

A

A.R.K.

I need to interject a quick point here. D.A.C. is one of my students, but not the one I refered to earlier here and in another thread. When Jason from Glocktalk told me about this site a month or so ago I in turn told all of the people I knew who were into the MA's. I have enjoyed GT so much and learned so much that I felt this site would be the same....and I was right :)

There are actually a few of my folks here, though some simply lurk. As a little ha ha on me none of them told me they had registered or what their screen names were. When I saw D.A.C.'s post and that he was LEO in Florida I sent him a PM to come and train with us. Thats the PM he was refering to above [it's an in-joke now at our school :D ]. They all got a laugh on me the next day because D.A.C. has been with me for three years now and here I am thinking he's a new guy for training. He's a good man and a damn fine MA's.

Isn't it against dojo rules to mess with your Sensei's mind like that
:idunno: :cheers:

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started in TKD at age seven in Rhode Island my instructors names were David P. Valdez, William Maher and Robert D'benadeto...............1982 to 1991 in 1984 the shcool i was attending closed and myself and a friend began private 5hr lessons twice a week until I moved to florida in 1991 I was a bit of a hellion as a child and this was my fathers way of diclipine.......It worked.
from 1991 thru 1995 I continued training in several shcools in my area never really calling any home for too long.
from 1995 thru present Ive been training in TKD I also have over 3500 hrs. of law enforcement self defence training and seminars.

Recently I have been training in self defence, grappling, ground fighting and close quarters combat with an american who has founded thier own style and I am very excited about this new training.

In summary I guess you could say I have some martial arts experience....I like to consider myself as merly a serious student!

American Realistic Karate 4th dan, Instructor (Founder)D.Schultz

TKD 3rd dan, Instructor Master Michael Dunn(4th dan Kukkiwon)

Hapkido 2nd dan, Instructor Michael Dunn

WHO ELSE WILL POST THIERS! This should end some confusion about what everyone claims.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
American Realistic Karate 4th dan, Instructor (Founder)D.Schultz

TKD 3rd dan, Instructor Master Michael Dunn(4th dan Kukkiwon)

Hapkido 2nd dan, Instructor Michael Dunn

WHO ELSE WILL POST THIERS! This should end some confusion about what everyone claims.

5th Dan, Kempo Jujitsu - National College of Martial Arts :asian:

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Training in Pekiti Tersia Arnis under Mike Berkeley and Agapito Gonzales, 1994-1996. Currently training in Pekiti Tirsia Espada y Daga, with Tuhon Billy McGrath.

Training in Estacada under Bill Schettino 1994-Present. Black Belt (Si-Sook) in Estacada-Kajukenbo. Member, Black Belt Society, KSDI.

Training in Xing Yi Quan, under Tom Bisio, 1994-Present.

Training in San Miguel Eskrima under Tom Biso 1995 - Present. Currently teaching SME in Whitestone, N.Y.

Emergency Medical Technician, Overlook Hospital, Summit, NJ, 1982 – 1985. CPR instructor, American Red Cross, 1985.

Training in Die Da (Chinese “hit and fall” Medicine 1995 – Present. Training includes acupuncture, Tui Na, bone setting, Qi Gong, and the application of Chinese herbology for sports and martial arts injuries.

Trained in Nuad Bo-Rarn (Thai massage), 1995 - 1998

Licensed acupuncturist (New York - #002405). NCCAOM Diplomat in Acupuncture.

Best,

Steve Lamade

J

jakmak52

Martial Arts Curriculum Vitae
James (Jack) Makinson
3018 59th Street South
Gulfport, Florida 33707

DOB: 11/20/1952 Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois Age: 51

Style: ITF Tae Kwon Do Started: 11/10/93

School/Dojo: USA Karate - St. Petersburg, Florida

Instructors:

John Graden 7th Dan

Kathy Marlor 5th Dan

Brent Boyer 2nd Dan

Glenn Laplante 3rd Dan

Joe Lewis 10th Dan

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace

Dr. Neil Shiesske (Kareja Do) 10th Dan

Dr. Jason Hunt (AMAU) 6th Dan

Rank Advancement:

Gold Belt: 02/03/94

Orange Belt: 05/18/94

Green Belt: 09/21/94

Blue Belt: 01/20/95

Red Belt: 04/12/95

Brown Belt: 09/15/95

Black Belt - 1st Degree (Cho-Dan): 06/20/04

Forms:

Tan Gun - Legendary Founder of Korea

To San - Philosopher & Educator

Yul Kuk - Confucius of Korea

Toi Gye - Pen name of a Noted Scholar

Choi Gye - Iron Horse

Hwa Rang - Korean youth movement to reunite the 3 kingdoms of Sila

Choong Mu - Admiral of the 1st Korean Armored Battleship

Kwan Gye - 19th Emperor of the Koguryo Dynasty

Bat Sai Dai (Major) - Breaking through the Fortress

Competitions/Tournaments:

1999 PMTA Gold Tour, Orlando, Florida - 1st Place - Executive Men's Classical Forms

1999 US Open, Orlando Florida - 1st Place - Executive Men's Forms

2003 5th Annual Suncoast Open, Clearwater, Florida - 1st Place - Executive Men's Forms

2004 GSO Open Bradenton, Florida - 1st Place - Executive Men's Traditional Forms

2005 US Open, Orlando, Florida - 6th Place – Executive Men’s Black Belt Traditional Forms

Martial Arts affiliations:

AMAU (American Martial Arts Union) Dr. Jason Hunt

Kareja Do (Dr. Neal Schiesske)

World Black Belt Bureau

R

Ronald R. Harbers

I boxed in 1960! Boy's Club! I studied Kempo in 1970! I defeated 7 opponents! And I am a Metis!

Nightwish

White Belt
Reaction score
Taught by a bouncer who studies senshido concepts and CFA concepts, as well as his own methods he had created for himself. His name is Tony Mcfarlane.

My training consists of:

Delivery systems
Tool + Target Development
Closest weapon, closest target concept
Awareness strategies
Armed Combat and unarmed combat (including improvised weapons) in various environments
Tactical weapons defense
Scenario Training
Criminal Behaviour studies
Ritualistic Combative signs
Verbal defusing strategies
Belief Systems
Cardiovascular Conditioning

2 years and going..don't plan on stopping. I train 2 hours a day/5 days a week.

T

TonyM.

Sinawali eskrima, 1962
Boxing, 1962
Judo, 1964
Hasayfu Hung Ga, 1965
Wrestling, 1966
Shotokan, 1967
Jiu Jutsu, 1967
Tang Soo Do, 1970
Ulu, 1970
Fairbairn/Sykes, 1971
Combatitives, FM21-150, 1971
Service- Co. H, 75th Inf. Co.A 2/75th Inf.
Fifth Dist. Volunteer Fire Dept.
Vermont Dept. of Corrections
Currently a happy civilian that practices HaSayFu Hung Ga

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I can give you a basic background, but it's hardly worth it. But if you're really curious, I didn't do any real martial arts training until recently. When I started with a club here on the college campus, we started with northern Shaolin long fist kung fu. That was in fall 2001. I started learning Yang style tai chi in spring 2002 and it took about a year before our teacher finished it with my group. I was able to keep up with these for about 2 years, until around spring 2003 before finishing my PhD took up so much time that I couldn't afford the practice time anymore. I went to our final special class session in spring 2004 to learn one final form, one of a few that's famous and very characteristic of the style. After that, our teacher moved back to his home country and that's been about it. Some of us are trying to continue practicing now and since I have a bit more time now, I'm trying to pick it up again. I had some threads in the CMA forums detailing my training as I was doing it, but I don't know if they're accessible any more. If they are though, you can find plenty of details in them.

I

Ippon Ken

Started in Kodokan Judo at 7-9 years old. My pops moved so I took up boxing . Did that from 10-14 years old. Pops moved again (to the P.I.) and almost immediately started training in Shorinkan (Kobayashi Shorin Ryu) after checking out various schools and styles both on and off base. Did that for 5 years, then we returned to the "world". Looked for years for a good MAs school, of any type. There weren't any in San Antonio from what I could tell. Kept practicing and training on my own and with my brother. Did this for about 6 years (no formal instruction from a higher grade), then decided to give in and "join" a local Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu dojo. What a joke! It did get me use to beating people up again. My bro just ain't no joke. Training with him was the biggest blessing ever. Did that for about 6 months (contract length).

While I was there I kept hearing from some of the students about this guy Lindsey Sensei who would come down every so often to teach tuite and realistic kata bunkai appication. He made them do kotekitai (body-hardening) and I guess this was the only time these cats got to feel hard bone-on-bone contact and to do real hojo undo. I thought 'wow" that sounds like my training in the Philippines. Beyond that never thought about the guy until our contract ran out.

A few years later my brother suggested we take a 90 minute drive to talk to Ron Lindsey. We expected some more BS stateside karate. We were wrong.

What was suppose to be a quick visit to analyze the situation (and teacher) turned into a 3 hour discussion on MAs and the lack of real stuff nowadays. He showed us some quick PP/tuite/tegumi techs, like pressing the thumb into the various branches of your radial artery while locking your elbow, shoulder or wrist, which we thought "hey, now that doesn't feel good"! I think he was testing our temperament. He thought we were cool and invited us to train with him whenever he and we could. We said "most definitely", and that's who I train with now, 6 years later. We do 6-7 hour sessions, twice a month and it's the best MAs experience I've ever had. We travel 90 minutes just to train with a real sensei. Forget convenience if it's all plastic return.

In 2000 a friend of mine who was a staunch GJJ player, and whom I visit often in LA, told me he had a friend that use to teach at Gracie Academy-Torrance, who now wanted to branch out on his own. He was looking to do seminars wherever he could to make some $$$ and to spread his brand of GJJ. We met and I liked him as a person so I decided that I would set something up for him in San Antonio at UTSA. He came down, the response was so-so, we had a decent seminar, but most of all we went to the Riverwalk and chilled and hawked females and it was all love. Carlos Elias is a friend for life. I told Caique I would learn his JJ and teach it here. I never did, Instead I did privates with Ryron Gracie through my friend, got the gist of it, and never went back. I guess my football, Judo, wrestling, gymnastics and boxing experience gave me a solid foundation.

I've stuck to Orthodox Shorin Ryu and always will. This type of karate will be extinct soon if someone doesn't learn it well enough to pass it one to others. Modern karate-do, kenpo, MMAs, BJJ and muay thai have their advocates. The original Okinawan MAs are rare. I'm indebted to it for helping to mold me into who I am physically and mentally. Plus it's saved my bottom for the reals a few times. Forget about money and glory. You have to understand what it is the spirit or intent of the thing is trying to say to you.

I

Ippon Ken

Ippon Ken said:
He showed us some quick PP/tuite/tegumi techs, like pressing the thumb into the various branches of your radial NERVE while locking your elbow, shoulder or wrist, which we thought "hey, now that doesn't feel good"! I think he was testing our temperament.
Where I originally typed "radial ARTERY" it should be "radial NERVE". Sorry. Later ...

Hope my tangent reply didn't scare anyone off.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
started training in taekwondo in 1994...
got to 3rd gup and was ready to test for 2nd in 1996 when my instructor could no longer afford to drive to my town and my parents coudn't afford to drive me to his...

so i got to take a little break...

I had always planned on starting taekwondo again as soon as I had the chance...so when I came to college...I immediately joined the club on campus...that was august 2002...I started over as a white belt but due to my previous expecience (it was the same school...just a different instructor) I advanced quickly and am now a 1st gup and testing for black belt on December 11...

started judo and, informally, jujutsu in the winter of 2003...tested for yellow belt in judo in may of 2003 and i'm still there...never seem to get around testing again..even though i've got the written test completed and the test booklet filled out...

tested for my green belt in jujutsu...actually, kaisho goshin budo taihojutsu in may of 2004...still actively practicing all three arts and having the time of my life doing it...

O

OC Kid

I started inna street gang in 1960 then I started hanging out in water front bars and became a bouncer, then I got bored so I started going to biker bars walking in wearing a pink shirt with white ruffles and screaming at the top of my lungs.."all you sissy bikers stink" and went and opened my own school and makes lots of money teachnig kids the dim mak...

Black belt in Butokukan Karate 1987 www.jabka.org , moved to calif, trained in American Kempo under Mr. Todd Mc Elhenny ( took over Dick Willets school) and trained at Mr. Bob Whites Kempo then took American Kickboxing under John "Big T" Turnage fmr PKA #1 contender, then took Muay Thai under Yuki Horuchi.
Got married had kids retired for 10 years, I am now teaching disadvantaged kids and my son at my home.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Started training in 1977 - Tae Kwon Do under Richard C. Kelley Jr. Orlando, FL
We later joined the NKJU and switched styles to Motobuha Shito Ryu Karatedo.
This led to an introduction to Soke Shogo Kuniba and his Goshin Budo.

Received training in Hakko Ryu through Lemuel Stroud and his students.

Eventually trained in Junse Goshin Budo Jujitsu (Kaisho Goshin Budo Taihojutsu Ryu) under Darrell Craig, Houston Budokan

Now training in Doshinkan Aikido under Yukio Utada.

I teach Goshin Budo Jujitsu and Mugai Ryu Hyodo

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My name is Terry lee Stoker born January 7th 1960 in Lamesa Texas. I first started training in Okinawa karate in 1964 under my father Master Drill Instructor W. R. Stoker Sr. I recieved my Black belt in 1972 under him, in 1975 I recieved my 2nd from W.R. Stoker Sr and Paul Pressley while training in Texas, in 1979 I recieved my 3rd while I was home from spring break. In 1982 I recieved my 4th under the same two gentleman during Christmas break. It was in 1981 when I started training in TKD under Master Gin Kim in California, I tested for 1st dan in February of 82 while studing both Arts, later that year I recieved my 5th in okinawa karate. During the early to mid 80's I fought in the PKA out of San Diego California. I stopped competing in 1986. I still was heavinly involved in TKD and tested for my second in the winter of 85. In 1989 my father had a massive stroke and died later that year I tested for my 3rd, I tested for my 4th of December of 2004 and recieved it. As of today I own and operate Twin dragons MAS in Arlington Texas where we teach WTF TKD with a twist we also teach ITF forms to those that wish to learn.

Latest Discussions