Police: Md. Boy Uses Karate to Escape Murder Attempt

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[h=1]Police: Md. Boy Uses Karate to Escape Murder Attempt[/h]
An 8-year-old Maryland boy using karate moves was able to escape what police are calling an attempted murder overnight last weekend.

Helen Marie Newsome, 26, is accused of breaking into a Landover home where the young boy was sleeping around 8 a.m. Saturday. Police say she had dated the boy's father, and they had recently broken up.

“I woke up and she was smothering me," Jacob Soliz-Amaya told News4. Police said the woman was also beating his head with a weapon. "While she was covering my mouth, I was thinking, and then I figured it out and then I [head-butted her].”

Bleeding and suffering from a head wound, Jacob escaped and ran to a neighbor's house for help. The neighbor called 911 and kept the boy until authorities arrived.

I'd wager it was more karate confidence than karate moves, but who cares--this is a feel-good story! I hope he continues to be able to view this as a great success for him and doesn't have lingering fears from the attack.

Kenpo5.0Hawker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's a great story! Bravo to that quick thinking youngster. Hope that evil woman rots in prison.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad this had a happy ending. At least for the boy. As for her......