The Ultimate Fighter: Rousey vs Tate

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I considered posting this in the women's area of the forum, but I think it's got some general implications. I've got a lot of problems with the TUF format. I can't remember which fighter it was, but one of them said that it was easier to get booze at any time of the day or night than to get healthy food. That's a real issue.

From year to year, it seems that TUF introduces a genuinely unstable person into the house and the puts them under extreme pressure. I hate that, along with all of the drama. And largely for this reason, I haven't watched the show in about 3 or 4 years. I just couldn't take it.

But I watched the premier of the new season last night with interest. Not only is it the first time women have coached, but the house is split between 8 women and 8 men, all 135 lbs fighters.

Positive thing for women in martial arts? Negative? Neutral?
What about for women in general? Does this help? Is this a good thing?

Swifty20

White Belt
Reaction score
I think it's good for women's MMA overall to get in on this process, but they really should have just made it an all-woman season. Perhaps they couldn't find enough good women to justify having an all-woman season, but really they are just trying to get ratings with this men+women under the same roof bullsh*t.

Kenpo5.0Hawker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would have prefered to see TUF do an all women thing as well. But overall it's going to be good for women and MMA. Maybe next time they will go all female.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that depth is an issue in the women's division, but that is changing over time. There are some VERY good technicians among the women, but the pool isn't all that large yet.

As far as characters goes, I thought the women were far more interesting, on the whole. One is an adjunct professor, I believe up in Canada. Another has a physics degree and a third, who was quirky as heck, is an English teacher in Japan. Interesting bunch, and far more compelling than the guys, IMO.

The coaches were, frankly, a little annoying. Rousey seems very sulky and, man, she just seems to have all kinds of esteem issues. Tate, on the other hand, was smirky and came off to me as a little intimidated by the experience. I'm ohping that they calm down a little and we get more interesting back story on the athletes.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it depends on how they edit it and it plays out. If the woman start acting like they are real housewives of UFC with drama and going nutzo crazy lady it will hurt woman mma. If they act as professional fighters it could help a lot. Again that will come down a lot to how the edit it more then the action of the fighters.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, I mostly agree. Editing is going to play an important role in how the females are portrayed.

But, honestly, I'm guessing they aren't going to entirely change the format now. They've introduced women into what amounts to a frat house environment where shenanigans are encouraged. I am going to presume that the women will be as dramatic as the men (in a bad way).

So, on the good side, women are being featured at a high level. They are on in prime time, are receiving very high level coaching, training full time and have access to the best training equipment. For them, this is an opportunity of a life time. But, they will also likely be recorded doing stupid things and through editing, their characters will be defined arbitrarily for the viewing public.

There is definitely good and bad going on. So, here's the question. Is this a net positive thing for the female athletes on the show or a net negative thing? What about for women's MMA? For all of the other female fighters out there training hard, is this show going to open doors for them or not?

What about for women in general? My 16 year old and my 5 year old... is this show good for them?

What do you guys think?

Swifty20

White Belt
Reaction score
There is definitely good and bad going on. So, here's the question. Is this a net positive thing for the female athletes on the show or a net negative thing? What about for women's MMA? For all of the other female fighters out there training hard, is this show going to open doors for them or not?

What about for women in general? My 16 year old and my 5 year old... is this show good for them?

What do you guys think?

It's too early to tell. Another couple weeks to give us a vibe of how the women behave in the house and we can answer that question.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped watching it around the second season. Too much emphasis on the house stupidity, not enough on the training and fighting. I liked when they had some challenges and things to do along the way, rather than a training session, then see what they'll do with no supervision. Too much Lord of the Flies...

Add women into the mix, and I unfortunately predict that there'll be the usual boy/girl issues. I hope that anything that happens is consensual, but won't be at all surprised to see a headline along the lines of "Ultimate Fighter contestant arrested for sexual assault."

Kenpo5.0Hawker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This topic has prompted me to watch the first episode again. Steve's questions in particular resonated very deeply with me. Especially the question about how this show will impact his kids. It's a big concern to myself as well.

Rousey seemed very focused while Dana and Tate were more relaxed. I'd want Rousey in my corner hands down. She was focused on the marches. She recognized its not play time. That's my kind of coach. She was all bizness. Sign me up.

Dana's speach in the beginning really said quite a bit. The gals will bring it. It's up to the guys to keep up. That says much about his views on female fighters. I also really liked how he has repeatedly admitted he was wrong about women in the UFC. That took some serious courage and confidence. Really increased my respect for Dana.

Rousey being upset in the beginning kinda put me off. But on the second view it impressed me quite a bit. She still humble despite women's UFC being a thing largely due to her. If I was in her place I'd bet my ego would be huge. Tate played the camera while Rousey was busy working and taking notes. That's what I'd want from my coach.

It seems to me Rousey is going to be a better/more dedicated coach. I hope she is also a coach next season cuz I'd love to see a house full of female fighters. Not because women need "help" but because us fans deserve to see these Ladies bring it, and there is still a dearth of female fighters in the Org.

I also noticed the Ladies brought better techs into play during their matches. Less brute force and much more skill. I watch these UFC shows in part because they allow me to learn. Fighters who use skill vs strength are a big inspiration to both myself and my daughter.

Id like to thank Dana, Rousey and Tate for bringing us this far. Especially Dana. Dude has ate his words regarding female fighters and many guys in his spot would have just refused to do that. Dana sure has my respect.

May you never need your training.
Tom

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like The Ultimate Fighter. I do not however care for the house stupidity!

Typically the first show of a new season is the best because all of the fighters really get after it.

In this season the women are pretty much some of the top women in the world. While the men are
not in that league yet. (or they would already be in the UFC)

I think you will see that this season may not make Rousey look so good. She is probably going to
coach fine but..... she has some issues and they may come out.

Still it should be an interesting season!!!

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm unsure how this season will turn out. I suspect Tate will end up being the better coach as the series progresses. Rousey comes of as very emotional. It seems like the quiet confident coach tends to win out over the firebrands more often than not, though I haven't watched every season.

It's a big deal for women's MMA, no doubt about it. What's disappointing is the "editing for drama", much like "if it bleeds, it leads" in news media. The problem is, with 16 people in one house you could easily generate enough drama to fill an episode without showing any fights at all. The fact that these people by virtue of their profession must cultivate large egos multiplies it. Look how Shayna talked herself up before the fight, almost like she had to convince herself. A whole housefull of that is a drama powder-keg (drama-keg?). I'd rather see more of the training than the head games personally.

I liked the first women's fight. The victor showed a lot of heart and determination to overcome adversity. I'll probably watch most of the season.

-Mark

Last edited:
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am enjoying this season so far.

Last night's fight was great! If they continue like this is will be a stellar season!

I was rooting for Julianna. Shayna b. was too cocky.

Not sure about Rousey. She comes off as insecure to me... Kind of a bully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was rooting for Julianna. Shayna b. was too cocky.

Not sure about Rousey. She comes off as insecure to me... Kind of a bully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I absolutely agree and wonder if this show will affect how people view Rousey. She is a fantastic talent in MMA but..... she has some issues.

Latest Discussions