Pole thoughts

MacPedro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Guys,
I have always imagined the poles on the Red Junk Opera troup to have been used to 'punt' the boats along. Recently however I believe single oar sculling, the rowing of vessels with a lone paddle at the rear, to have an input.

What do you all think to this?

Pedro

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would think a pole like the Quan would poke into the muddy bottom making it difficult to push a heavy boat or barge. I would think the pole would have been utilized a push pole against other boats and low water areas against rocks and boulders to prevent contact.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always believed that they probably used kayaks personally.
Seriously , who knows ?

In our lineage we were told that the pole was brought into Wing Chun by a monk name Chi Tsin I think his name was , but don't quote me on it , its been a long time since I read our text book.

Apparently he was an accomplished pole fighter in his own style and his techniques were then streamlined and " Wing Chunnerized" into the system.
A bit like being assimilated into the " Borg Collective"

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The important thing is what the pole teaches us now. It teaches how range changes the time frames, structures, and base. I love history so I enjoy historical details, but in this case it doesn't really matter.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The main idea is that poles of various weights and lengths were used on the boats and docks for a variety practical purposes in those days. In other words, poles were readily available so the art of pole fighting was commonplace and evolved into a martial art-form. As to your comment about the single-oar sculling motion used to propel boats in Asia (as in the scene in Enter the Dragon when Bruce Lee's character is ferried out to Han's Junk) --that motion is referenced in the sideways back and forth sweeping motion in the WT version of the Luk Dim Boon Kwan Fa.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Geezer beat me to the latter part, stuck out in my mind too.
Imagine working in this profession day in day out, arms and wrists like rocks.

OP
M

MacPedro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
... As to your comment about the single-oar sculling motion used to propel boats in Asia (as in the scene in Enter the Dragon when Bruce Lee's character is ferried out to Han's Junk) --that motion is referenced in the sideways back and forth sweeping motion in the WT version of the Luk Dim Boon Kwan Fa.

Thanks Geezer,
I wondered this when trying a few moves from a new book. I haven't read this anywhere and was looking for confirmation that I maybe wasn't imagining it :) Thanks to the rest of you also for replying.

I've filled up the hollow sections on my bamboo pole with decorators caulking, only took 2.5 tubes, much heavier now though perhaps not as rigid as it should be.

Pedro

Latest Discussions