Wing Chun in Keesler and the Surrounding area?

EliasDickinson

White Belt
Reaction score
I studied before I went to basic, now I am in technical training at Keesler AFB and want to resume my training. Does anybody know of a school/study group/practitioner here or the surrounding area I can meet up with?

Last edited:

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know of any Wing Chun schools in that area, but I did go to tech school at Keesler about 10 years ago. What AFSC are you training in?

If they still run things the same way they did a decade ago for non-prior service, then you're in Phase 1 and won't even be able to leave base for a month or so. Phase 2 won't do you much good, either, since you have to be in uniform to leave base and will have pretty limited time off base anyway. You'll have to wait for phase 3 before you could go find a place to train, but how long will you be there after that, really? If you do find a place, you won't be there more than a few months (unless you get stationed at Keesler... or are training in PMEL).

You may just have to practice the forms on your own for now, and then try to find something once you know where you will be stationed after tech school. You could also ask around and see if anyone else has any martial arts experience, it's unlikely but not impossible that there is another WC guy there. I was training some boxing right before basic, and met another boxer during tech school while hitting the bag at the gym one day.

Of course, if someone else can recommend something close by, then it couldn't hurt to check it out. Once you phase-up to phase 3, anyway. Unless, of course, they've done away with that whole phase system.

Anyway, good luck with your tech training, Airman. Let me know if you have any questions about tech school, I just might be able to remember the answer.

OP
E

EliasDickinson

White Belt
Reaction score
Phasing is different now, I will enter the Advanced Training Phase (the highest one) in about a week or so depending on my performance. The reason I am reticent to practice solo is because I am so new I am likely to develop bad habits and be in trouble later.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Phasing is different now, I will enter the Advanced Training Phase (the highest one) in about a week or so depending on my performance. The reason I am reticent to practice solo is because I am so new I am likely to develop bad habits and be in trouble later.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense they don't do things the same as they did a decade ago. How long did it take you to get to the "advanced" phase? Used to take months to work up to the highest phase.

Understandable that you don't want to train alone and develop bad habits, especially if you don't have much experience. How much longer will you be at Keesler? My point was mainly just that you probably won't be there too long anyway, so your seach effort will probably be better spent wherever you end up stationed.

I checked out some of those links (also at work so couldn't spend too much time), looks like the schools listed are everything but Wing Chun though. Some of the links are just selling books.

Latest Discussions