Please don't tell me to search again...

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
After reading the thread "my thoughts on aggression..." I am compelled to ask a question that I have asked before and kind of gotten scolded for asking. I know this topic has been discussed before, and yes I have searched the threads and read them but I have yet to find a definitive or concise answer.

Why train so much to defend against the lunge punch?
and:
Is the lunge punch taught in the xkans as a viable attack technique, and if so what are its advantages?
If it isn't taught as an attack technique, what type of punch is?

If you have read many of my posts you know of my intense interest in the Bujinkan, and my plans to train in it as soon as I am able. I DO NOT intend to say that this practice is wrong or bad, I just don't understand it. Can someone just answer the questions without speaking in code or telling me to search the threads, please?

I experiment as an observation with an opposite of the lunge punch, as the attacker moves towards you and you are moving away, you throw a wide hook, and found the punch rarely misses, done right it catches your attacker in the temple as he moves into it. Point? It can be interesting in looking for new ways of applying old ideas.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I take by your inference that you do not prepare your students to deal with boxing style punches? If so that is interesting!
icon6.gif

I teach my students to deal with the tactical/interactive space (kukan) no matter how someone positions their body to create that space.

I teach my students Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, I'm not qualified to teach boxing.

It's all the same anyway.

If it's not, you're going to be spending a lot of time chasing for a counter to every technique there is.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I teach my students to deal with the tactical/interactive space (kukan) no matter how someone positions their body to create that space.

I teach my students Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, I'm not qualified to teach boxing.

It's all the same anyway.

If it's not, you're going to be spending a lot of time chasing for a counter to every technique there is.

Very true Stephen, very true. Space and timing are essential. In the end you are right in that it is all the same albeit people get to that in a different way.
icon6.gif

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Insted of calling it a lunge punch, punching from the hip, Noda City floater maybe restudy Ken Tai Ichi Jo ~ Body and Weapon move as one or the steps that make up Inashi Gata... I think you will find the answer with these two leads.

Be well and Gassho,

Ken Savage
www.winmartialarts.com

If people are looking, Stephen Hayes' third volume of his ninjutsu series has a pretty good summary of these concepts in chapter 4.

Matt