Pilot to TSA: 'No Groping Me and No Naked Photos'

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me... but it seems to me that, should an airline PILOT want to do a lot of damage, they don't need to take anything on board the airplane. After all, they're on the business side of that locked cockpit door, and the plane is going to go where and do what they tell it to. Seems like we've seen a scenario kind of like that somewhere previously...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like I ever say (and usually get scolded by one or two members for it because no non-American is ever allowed to say anything bad about America) ...

... you chaps are not as free as you think you are. Telling you that you live in the "Land of the Free" becomes ever more a self-evident joke as time goes by.

I don't know whether it is too late to take your country back - I would guess it is without a violent upset for which no-one has the stomach these days (that being because the methods set in place to make such civil war unnecessary have been circumvented).

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The pilot'll probably lose his job over this. Common sense of course and the TSA are unacquainted. I hope to never have to fly again as I'd honestly trust Moe, Larry, Shemp, Joe, & Curly Joe to secure our airports better than these *** clowns.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I remember the pilot's association in Canada making a fuss after some pilots had tweezers and nail clippers confidcated from their shaving kits.

Said one pilot: "First, we're locked in the cockpit already. Second, I don't need the tweezers, there is an axe in the cockpit with me."

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a foreigner, I have to have my fingerprints electronically taken every time I enter Japan. This began about 2 years ago. Never mind that I have no crimminal record that would put me on any lists. Never mind that I`ve lived here almost 8 years. I`m a foreigner, and must submit to fingerprinting on entry. Native Japanese don`t have to.The government says it`s an effort to combat terrorism in Japan......despite the fact that in all Japan`s history the only terrorist act ever to take place was carried out by Japanese. And of course they say that they`re happy to share my fingerprints with any and all law enforcment agencies anywhere in the world. My only choice to avoid this is to avoid entering Japan, which my Japanese wife and 2 Japanese daughters might find troublesome.

The idea that the pilot wasn`t allowed to leave after he refused what was supposedly a voluntary search makes me so mad I want to spit. They never said he did anything to give them any probable cause to detain him other than exercise his choice not to be searched. So you can`t enter w/o being searched, BUT if you decide not to enter, you can`t leave. Someone shoot me.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The pilot'll probably lose his job over this. Common sense of course and the TSA are unacquainted. I hope to never have to fly again as I'd honestly trust Moe, Larry, Shemp, Joe, & Curly Joe to secure our airports better than these *** clowns.

They're not just *** clowns. They're evil *** clowns. It's important to make the distinction.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
They're not just *** clowns. They're evil *** clowns. It's important to make the distinction.

No, they're not. They are a group of mostly unskilled, low wage workers trying to support themselves and their families. Some abuse their authority, as some cops or some teachers or some martial arts instructors abuse their authority - yet we do not call teachers evil. The evil is institutional, not personal. That institutional evil was furthermore called for and supported by the American public. We got what we voted for.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I ever say (and usually get scolded by one or two members for it because no non-American is ever allowed to say anything bad about America) ...

... you chaps are not as free as you think you are. Telling you that you live in the "Land of the Free" becomes ever more a self-evident joke as time goes by.

I don't know whether it is too late to take your country back - I would guess it is without a violent upset for which no-one has the stomach these days (that being because the methods set in place to make such civil war unnecessary have been circumvented).

I read somewhere (not sure where) that the US has more laws on the books than any other country. We also incarcerate more per capita than any other country.

I think one of the biggest problems is that with this many "freedoms", there comes a point of personal responsibility. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something.

It's frustrating when common sense gets over ridden by "the law".

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a foreigner, I have to have my fingerprints electronically taken every time I enter Japan. This began about 2 years ago. Never mind that I have no crimminal record that would put me on any lists. Never mind that I`ve lived here almost 8 years. I`m a foreigner, and must submit to fingerprinting on entry. Native Japanese don`t have to.The government says it`s an effort to combat terrorism in Japan......despite the fact that in all Japan`s history the only terrorist act ever to take place was carried out by Japanese. And of course they say that they`re happy to share my fingerprints with any and all law enforcment agencies anywhere in the world. My only choice to avoid this is to avoid entering Japan, which my Japanese wife and 2 Japanese daughters might find troublesome.

The idea that the pilot wasn`t allowed to leave after he refused what was supposedly a voluntary search makes me so mad I want to spit. They never said he did anything to give them any probable cause to detain him other than exercise his choice not to be searched. So you can`t enter w/o being searched, BUT if you decide not to enter, you can`t leave. Someone shoot me.

don't give them any more bad ideas.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a foreigner, I have to have my fingerprints electronically taken every time I enter Japan. This began about 2 years ago.

Not so. I lived in Japan from 1984-1987, and my whole family (including 11 year old me) had to get fingerprinted too. We also had to carry a particular ID at all times (though as a child I was exempt from that.) Once my Dad and I were out to dinner and a cop randomly stopped us on the street asking him to produce that ID card. When he realized he'd spaced it and left it at home, we got dragged down to the local precinct and they called my mom to confirm that we were indeed not fugitives or gaijin wetbacks. (My own sarcasm here, not a slam on Mexicans. :uhyeah: ) I called it harassment then, and I still do some 30 years later.

Even at 11 I thought it was asinine and intrusive. As I recall, they also made third-generation descendants of Korean immigrants get prints and that stupid ID too. I don't know whether they still do that, but it was a big controversy then.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the US the only people who don't need to carry ID are US Citizens. Everyone else needs to have it.(Short version).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, they're not. They are a group of mostly unskilled, low wage workers trying to support themselves and their families. Some abuse their authority, as some cops or some teachers or some martial arts instructors abuse their authority - yet we do not call teachers evil. The evil is institutional, not personal. That institutional evil was furthermore called for and supported by the American public. We got what we voted for.

I did not vote for the creation of a Department of Homeland Defense, nor for the TSA. I don't recall there being a vote.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did not vote for the creation of a Department of Homeland Defense, nor for the TSA. I don't recall there being a vote.

Was everyone responsible voted out in 2004?

Hey, I hate the security theater too. I think it all should be abolished, even the pre-2001 stuff. I don't imagine for a minute though that the majority of Americans share my views. Everyone I've heard talk about airport security in real life (instead of internet message boards) is fully supportive, and some wanted more.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe a better way to say it is, "Well, that's what we get for living in a representative democracy." We didn't vote on the issue, but we voted for the people who voted on the issue. :)

What chaps my hide about this whole thing is that none of this actually makes the airports any safer. It's all smoke and mirrors. I wouldn't mind the indignity if it actually made a difference.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hmmm...IMO, this guy is an *******! Why? Because everyone on the plane should be subject to the same security process. How do I know that the pilot, stewardess, etc., are not some nutjobs, who want to blow up the plane.

Yes, I know, I know....we could say the guys 'rights' are being violated, etc, etc., but it irks the hell out of me, when you see guys like this, who feel it necessary to 'prove a point', instead of just going thru the routine, and dealing with it later.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think plane staff, and all those who potentially have access to the plane, should be under strict security guidelines, which means, if there's any reason NOT to trust them, you don't give them access period. Checking them for a nail file when they could use the fire axe on the co-pilot then fly into the ground doesn't help. Then again, how much checking do the baggage goons get? We already know the TSA hiring guidelines are a joke......

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think plane staff, and all those who potentially have access to the plane, should be under strict security guidelines, which means, if there's any reason NOT to trust them, you don't give them access period. Checking them for a nail file when they could use the fire axe on the co-pilot then fly into the ground doesn't help. Then again, how much checking do the baggage goons get? We already know the TSA hiring guidelines are a joke......

Well, thats a good point. I mean, we see these guys take the bags, but is anyone watching the guys who put the bags on the plane? The handful of times that I fly, I've never had any baggage issues. (Hopefully I didn't just screw myself by saying that...lol) But when you think about it, how do you know someone isn't tampering with something down there?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe a better way to say it is, "Well, that's what we get for living in a representative democracy." We didn't vote on the issue, but we voted for the people who voted on the issue. :)

What chaps my hide about this whole thing is that none of this actually makes the airports any safer. It's all smoke and mirrors. I wouldn't mind the indignity if it actually made a difference.

Agreed.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I hate the security theater too. I think it all should be abolished, even the pre-2001 stuff. I don't imagine for a minute though that the majority of Americans share my views. Everyone I've heard talk about airport security in real life (instead of internet message boards) is fully supportive, and some wanted more.

I wanted the Coast Guard to take over the airport security detail. I wrote up a dedicated paper on the issue and went way out of my way to get it to my elected representatives, but it went nowhere. The Democrats wanted the TSA and the Republicans wanted more private security companies. They settled on TSA with a promise of no unionization. Snort.

Latest Discussions