Picking up your feet in a fight.....

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think there was a guy here who was a former neighbour of Axl Rose. So technically he can say he's lived by the Guns. It probably was Buka.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think there was a guy here who was a former neighbour of Axl Rose. So technically he can say he's lived by the Guns. It probably was Buka.
Actually, Axl is the roses part. Guns and Roses was formed from the ashes of a band called L.A. Guns, which Axl joined to make Guns and Roses. I never liked either one, rock star hair metal was not my thing.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Today at Muay Thai one of the things we worked on was flying elbows and knees.

This has a lot of potential for sure! Coming down over the top of your opponents guard, that potentially deviating. But it reminded me of back when I was living by the gun, and often dealing with violent people. And reminded me of something I had considered long ago, back when I used to get adrenaline dumps.

When the stress of a street fight/violent attack is formulating, and your adrenaline goes up, people tend to freeze their feet. Subconsciously seeking balance, and stability. An almost unconscious instinct to want your feet grow roots in the ground. Making moving your feet a difficult thing to do mentally. I'm not saying a full blown "condition black" freeze response, but a bias towards the know and stability for sure.

Lifting your feet to kick or jump can instinctively seem like a really bad idea under stress of a violent encounter.

that's a way too high of a risk move. a decent teep would send you flying backwards. or a slip, jab counter.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
that's a way too high of a risk move. a decent teep would send you flying backwards. or a slip, jab counter.
Definitely risky. Of course those risks can be mitigated. Timing and judgement are important, certainly not a beginner technique. Ideally I think, landing this when your opponent is off balanced and moving backwards on their heels. Actually I just posted about landing strikes when an opponent is off balanced under "Hapkido's missing link".

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Definitely risky. Of course those risks can be mitigated. Timing and judgement are important, certainly not a beginner technique. Ideally I think, landing this when your opponent is off balanced and moving backwards on their heels. Actually I just posted about landing strikes when an opponent is off balanced under "Hapkido's missing link".

It's still way too high of a risk. Teeps & jabs can be thrown while moving backwards & off balanced to counter this.

No doubt that this flying down elbow can work, just like tornado kicks can work also; just more of a flashy move that you see Saenchai would do when he's confident that he's already won on the score card but wouldn't do such in close fights. Although I don't think I've seen him do this in a fight, only demos & seminars.

This happens a lot in Larping with foam weapons where someone charges at me, then jumps as high as they can (while in my face) to hit me in the back w/their sword (over my head)....I usually teep them and they go flying backwards. I'm good at this from Muay Thai but then some kid did this same thing against me (when I charged & jumped) but by just sticking both of his arms out to push me (while in the air), and I flew backwards & fell flat on my back. Not sure if he's trained or not but he was shorter than me, yet pulled it off.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's still way too high of a risk. Teeps & jabs can be thrown while moving backwards & off balanced to counter this.

No doubt that this flying down elbow can work, just like tornado kicks can work also; just more of a flashy move that you see Saenchai would do when he's confident that he's already won on the score card but wouldn't do such in close fights. Although I don't think I've seen him do this in a fight, only demos & seminars.

This happens a lot in Larping with foam weapons where someone charges at me, then jumps as high as they can (while in my face) to hit me in the back w/their sword (over my head)....I usually teep them and they go flying backwards. I'm good at this from Muay Thai but then some kid did this same thing against me (when I charged & jumped) but by just sticking both of his arms out to push me (while in the air), and I flew backwards & fell flat on my back. Not sure if he's trained or not but he was shorter than me, yet pulled it off.
I have no doubt a really skilled Muay Thai guy can land this on me in every sparing session if they want, they seem to have amazing judgement and timing compared to my limited two years of training here.

I do see where you are coming from though.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no doubt a really skilled Muay Thai guy can land this on me in every sparing session if they want, they seem to have amazing judgement and timing compared to my limited two years of training here.

I do see where you are coming from though.

And I'm not saying it doesn't work; I was just really surprised that that little guy was able to send me flying backwards like that from just a 2 hand push.

Looks like being airborne is the weakness with these techs. Maybe someone with good understand of physics can explain.

Latest Discussions