Physicians

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am, frankly, shocked to learn that serial murder by healthcare professionals is a LOT more common than I had ever imagined. I am even more shocked to learn that they often see it as humane euthanization. It's amazing how people can get twisted around to rationalizing atrocity.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2006.00273.x

A study on this subject. Between 1970 and 2006 they were able to find a total of 90 healthcare professionals who were charged with medical murders. Not all were convicted.

Modern Life Has Made It Easier for Serial Killers to Thrive

Another good article. About 40% of murders are unsolved. The authors conclude that there are 2100 or so active serial killers in the US at any given time.

So most of us are not out there killing people.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2006.00273.x

A study on this subject. Between 1970 and 2006 they were able to find a total of 90 healthcare professionals who were charged with medical murders. Not all were convicted.

Modern Life Has Made It Easier for Serial Killers to Thrive

Another good article. About 40% of murders are unsolved. The authors conclude that there are 2100 or so active serial killers in the US at any given time.

So most of us are not out there killing people.
Totally. I actually found that study first, and then went down a rabbit hole of reading about the Angel of Mercy syndrome. But I was only aware of a literal handful... 4 or 5 cases. 90 is far more than I would have guessed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am, frankly, shocked to learn that serial murder by healthcare professionals is a LOT more common than I had ever imagined. I am even more shocked to learn that they often see it as humane euthanization. It's amazing how people can get twisted around to rationalizing atrocity.
There's a clinical name for the pathology of this, though it entirely escapes me at the moment. That such a name is even useful is a bit daunting.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Human nature, or sense of right or wrong, does not change with educational or economic level (at least I don't think so - have no statistical evidence) No surprise that doctors can murder as often an anyone else, maybe more. Doctors, especially surgeons, have a high opinion of themselves as far as skill, control and confidence goes; it goes with the job, and I do not begrudge them that quality - it's part of what makes them effective. But any skill, like a weapon, can be misused.

Having influence over life and death, high intelligence and great confidence in themselves, however, can lead to hubris and arrogance. In fact, many serial killers share these same qualities. They say there is a fine line between genius and insanity. So, doctors are not different from the rest of humanity with our strengths and weaknesses. We are all just people.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Human nature, or sense of right or wrong, does not change with educational or economic level (at least I don't think so - have no statistical evidence) No surprise that doctors can murder as often an anyone else, maybe more. Doctors, especially surgeons, have a high opinion of themselves as far as skill, control and confidence goes; it goes with the job, and I do not begrudge them that quality - it's part of what makes them effective. But any skill, like a weapon, can be misused.

Having influence over life and death, high intelligence and great confidence in themselves, however, can lead to hubris and arrogance. In fact, many serial killers share these same qualities. They say there is a fine line between genius and insanity. So, doctors are not different from the rest of humanity with our strengths and weaknesses. We are all just people.

Not all psychopaths are serial killers, but I did find this:
The 10 jobs that attract the most psychopaths

Psychopath_1.jpg
https://static.independent.co.uk/s3...age/2015/10/13/16/Psychopath_1.jpg?width=1368

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's mostly about lack of empathy, and many of those occupations have situations (and perhaps positions) where a lack of empathy can be a strength, or at least not as much a weakness as it would be in other professions.
my first though was, "Chefs lack empathy?". But then I remembered Gordon Ramsay and the book Kitchen Confidential.

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh my gosh!! 2020 is very ominous and happened a lot of unexpected things. :(
Praying best for 2021.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a clinical name for the pathology of this, though it entirely escapes me at the moment. That such a name is even useful is a bit daunting.

I don't know of any medical term. In large part because there's no single pathology that drives these killers.
They may think they're sparring patients (or their families) the pain of a prolonged death.
They may do it so they can be the hero who swoops in and revives them (which is probably related to Munchhausen by Proxy).
They may get a thrill out of killing people.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A clinical, psychological term, though I don't know if it was actually something in the DSM, or just a common usage clinical term. I'll browse a bit and see if I can stumble on the one I'm thinking of.
Not in the DSM. Or at least not in 5, and IIRC not in IV either. Also nothing that I ever heard referenced by my colleagues outside of angel of death.

There might be a theory that people that do this are all secretly a member of one personality disorder or another, but I wouldn't believe that personally. Wouldn't even know where I'd organize it in the DSM if I were to add it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any medical term. In large part because there's no single pathology that drives these killers.
They may think they're sparring patients (or their families) the pain of a prolonged death.
They may do it so they can be the hero who swoops in and revives them (which is probably related to Munchhausen by Proxy).
They may get a thrill out of killing people.
Yeah. I was trying to remember a term specific to the ones who consider it a mercy. I was certain I'd run across a term in some psych journal, but I can't find any reference to it now.

We can also add to your list the ones who do it out of frustration with their patients (more likely among nurses) and those who do it for the sheer feeling of power (more likely among doctors). The latter is pretty close to your third group, though I've seen distinctions made between the thrill killers and the power killers. Not sure I see them as different groups.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in the DSM. Or at least not in 5, and IIRC not in IV either. Also nothing that I ever heard referenced by my colleagues outside of angel of death.

There might be a theory that people that do this are all secretly a member of one personality disorder or another, but I wouldn't believe that personally. Wouldn't even know where I'd organize it in the DSM if I were to add it.
If my memory were more useful here, I'd have a response that would clarify things. Alas...

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of these jobs have particular traits in common. A sense of public trust, responsibility and directly dealing with people and the public at large. Although number 10 of civil servants is kind of vague, which professions are they speaking about?

Does the US have a Civil Service as we do in the UK?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not certain since I do not know your structure.
But this is from a wiki page:
The United States federal civil service is the civilian workforce (i.e., non-elected and non-military public sector employees) of the United States federal government's departments and agencies. The federal civil service was established in 1871 (5 U.S.C. § 2101).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not sure if it's like the UK, but about 2 million people work for federal agencies. A third or so (like 700k) work for the department of defense. But most work for agencies like the FDA, CDC, NOAA, Social Security, etc,.

Latest Discussions