People who sign their name with...

G

GouRonin

Ya know what drives me crazy? People who sign their name to something "Sifu Bob" or "Guro Bob" or "Sensei Bob" and refer to themselves in the third person.

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
people will do this to remind you how important they are just in case you forgot, or needed to be educated. I think it is some what of a self-esteem issue for some. I think once you have earned a title or rank people would address them properly if they stop reminding everyone obout it.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Ya know what drives me crazy? People who sign their name to something "Sifu Bob" or "Guro Bob" or "Sensei Bob" and refer to themselves in the third person.

Grandmaster Hall thinks that you have much yet to learn about respect and tradition, young grasshopper. Not everyone knows Mr. Hall is the Senior Grandmaster of the Olive Garden System of Kung Fu. The system is based on mimicking the moves of waiters in the Olive Garden Restaurants. It is a most secret and effective style. Grandmaster Hall's student has gone on to study and excel in Kenpo, Hung-Gar and Wing-Chung as well.

--------
Senior Grandmaster Hall

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by D_Brady

people will do this to remind you how important they are just in case you forgot, or needed to be educated. I think it is some what of a self-esteem issue for some. I think once you have earned a title or rank people would address them properly if they stop reminding everyone obout it.

I agree.

Regards,

Grandmaster Soke Hung Far Low of the Hung Way Low school of Sum Dum Ho Phlung Poo

OP
H

Humble artist

It´s not that tough is it?
Probably many here have worked enough to be or already are teachers.Besides that,how seriously does one take those screennames really?
"Sifu X" or related may only be an expression of humor,nick taken for granted,lightly etc.

Respectfully,
:asian:

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
there's a guy on another forum besides this one that refers to himself in his sig as "Master **** ******* - WTF hall of fame"

i'd like to go to his house and help him enter the "House covered in eggs" hall of fame.

OP
E

Elfan

I agree.

Senior Greatest Grandest Grand Master of all Arts Elfan.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I've heard...

I think its kinda ironic that in English, a lot of martial arts instructors will refer to themselves as "sensei" or "sifu" or "sigung" or whatever...

and I was told by an asian friend of mine that "Sensei" is not a title you give yourself...its a sign of respect from the students to the teacher, so the teacher would never refer to himself as "sensei smith" or whatever. my friend said that to take the title yourself is rude.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Gee, doug,
Pepole at seminars and tournaments call me by my screen name,but it's a COOL screen name and it's quite a compliment!

But, having more titles that carter has liver pills it would be kind of weird to end my posts with "sifusigungsenseigurokyoshisabumnim Joe Rebelo!"

Darn thing reads like a russian social disease!

BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE
www.rebeloskenpokarate.com
http://members.aol.com/kenpojoe/
:::getting off my soapbox now::::soapbox:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes! that's exactly what I was trying to say, but the end of the article says it better.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Lol.........But GrandMaster Gale DOES sound snazzy tho! :p

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thunk I might cut in here. Sigung86 was my handle on Corvette forums before I came here. Sigung was pretty easy to remember because Sigung Stephen LaBounty is someone I respect highly, and 86 was the year of the first Corvette I purchased. Just all easy to remember. :lol:

I occasionally post in other places as The Right Reverend BoB... It's just fun!

I actually prefer Dan, or in my more lucid moments, Saintly Uncle Dan. :lol:

Gou (pronounced Gow like in Pow) is taking his newfound ability to drink cheap vodka like my former enemies now beloved allies, the Spetz Snazzy waaaaay to seriously! :lol:

Saintly Uncle Dan

OP
G

GouRonin

If i wasn't so drunk I'd...uh...I dunno what I'd do but I'd be cursing as I did it!

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

If i wasn't so drunk I'd...uh...I dunno what I'd do but I'd be cursing as I did it!

Cursing is good ... It's the start of communication ... uh ... I guess!
:D :D :D

Still Saintly Uncle Dan! :lol:

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sigung86

Cursing is good ... It's the start of communication ... uh ... I guess!
:D :D :D

Still Saintly Uncle Dan! :lol:

D@mn right Uncle Dan!

Latest Discussions