Paxtial Arts

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just learned of this system. Looks like Systema to me. I like the idea of someone developing a good nonviolent system for those who want it or need it--e.g., those who work with the mentally ill. It's true that teaching a school kid to poke out eyes for self-defense against bullies isn't very useful. I'm all for someone developing the optimal thoroughly pacifist martial art and having it available. I am, uh, unconvinced that this is it. Aikido has some history and experience behind it. I will probably continue recommending that as a base for those who want this sort of thing, and boxing-and-BJJ for self-defense against school bullies.

Anything where you knock a guy over and sit on them works pretty much

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A think an eye poke would be perfect to use on a school bully tbh just a quick eye flick to distract them cause them a bit of pain to stop the attack giving you opportunity to run and find a teacher or get into a crowded area where the bully wouldn't try anything
Until you realize that the kid isn't fully aware of his strength and seriously damages the dudes eye. "Hey teacher, I poked him in the eye and now hes on the floor." "Johnny, why would you do something like that?" "He was picking on me." See how the school views it.
Not always going to happen like that, but the risk is there when doing an eye poke.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like a great business opportunity for the unqualified to teach the useless to the gullible.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree. They have the perfect out though for never having to prove any of their stuff works. They are on the opposite end of being "too deadly for sparring", but can simply say "hey, we are all about non-violence, so sparring would be against our belief" or something like that.

I am all about trying to deescalate and/or remove oneself from the situation, or even better yet not get in the situation in the first place by avoiding bad places and learning to interact with others with some humility and respect. However, the reality is that this isn't always practical, or even possible. What I have seen about this system suggests that it is probably a really good way to get your butt kicked by someone who doesn't give a crap about your peaceful intentions.

Last edited:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
When it comes to grade school the best thing for a kid to learn is for self defense is probably wrestling or art where you control the opponent's body.

Anything with strikes tends to get the defender in trouble.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Until you realize that the kid isn't fully aware of his strength and seriously damages the dudes eye. "Hey teacher, I poked him in the eye and now hes on the floor." "Johnny, why would you do something like that?" "He was picking on me." See how the school views it.
Not always going to happen like that, but the risk is there when doing an eye poke.
Yes but if it's a case of name calling you'd hope most martial artist would be smart enough not to fight unless attacked so it'd be more
Teacher: why would you do that
Student:because he attacked me/ punched me/ pinned me to a wall and was going to beat me up and steal my money.

If it's a case of name calling then no an eye poke is not the way but to me if someone attacks me and tries to me then yeah I will use anything to get out of that situation I won't do unnecessary damage but I'll do enough to keep myself safe

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes but if it's a case of name calling you'd hope most martial artist would be smart enough not to fight unless attacked so it'd be more
Teacher: why would you do that
Student:because he attacked me/ punched me/ pinned me to a wall and was going to beat me up and steal my money.

If it's a case of name calling then no an eye poke is not the way but to me if someone attacks me and tries to me then yeah I will use anything to get out of that situation I won't do unnecessary damage but I'll do enough to keep myself safe
You clearly have more faith in the "school kid" martial artist than I do. Either way, if its a bully thats not really a life or death situation, so it wouldn't warrant the possibly damaging his eyes for life..at least in the view of most school systems.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You clearly have more faith in the "school kid" martial artist than I do. Either way, if its a bully thats not really a life or death situation, so it wouldn't warrant the possibly damaging his eyes for life..at least in the view of most school systems.
Like I said I wouldn't care about the school system one punch off anyone can end a life trained or not so if someone's going to try that with me and if I have to damage their eyes so be it

lqkenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
Firstly everything needs to be put into context. as someone who has trained with Ed Parker JR and helped run his seminar in the IKC 2012 in Holland (highlight of my trip) you need really to be on the floor with him prior to pass judgment. Now everything has an opposite and reverse well this is the opposite to Kenpo. Kenpo is predominately a hard style (kill shot here a kill shot there, keep killing the carcass on the floor as it is over skill not over kill ;) )well Ed wanted to create a softer side that compliments Kenpo. His idea was if you have a drunk uncle at a wedding (we all have one) who asks you to show him something as he knows you do Kenpo you cant really whack out your best 5 swords onto him. The idea of Paxtial arts is to give you options in circumstances. The ability to do something that will make that person look a little embarrassed when they drunkingly grabbed you at the wedding so you managed to use paxtial and put him down on the floor in a safe controlled manner. The idea is its safe. That's why he is teaching it to kids as a form of self defense when they don't actually need to throw punches and kicks. at one stage i believe there was talk of it being recognized as a noble prize nomination.

Martial Arts translates as The art of War with Mars being the god of war. The god of peace is known as Pax so it becomes Paxtial Arts. Opposites :) a peaceful solution

Now in regards to Ed's rank yes he is a first degree and i believe he got it from one of the Kenpo senior masters in Ron Chapel. i think that is safe to say no one can question rank or lineage.

Hope this helps :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know how people say it is not the art it is the practitioner? Well now I can just show them this video.

This is the first level of the weekend certification course. Level 2 is light one-touch knockouts, followed by Level 3 which is of course no-touch knockouts.

Then entire course can be studied at home for the low, low price of only $9,999.99. That's a savings of over $5,000! If you call within the next 15 minutes, we'll send you a complimentary Snuggie worth over $50 (just pay separate processing and handling). Call now, operators are standing by!!!!