Pasadena area Kenpoists - Recommendations on instructor?

J

Jdub1107

I've decided on taking up Kenpo and would like opinions on any instructors in the area I should look into or maybe stay away from.
I've already visited Rick Jeffcoats studio and would appreciate any feedback from current/past students. Also, I know Larry Tatum has been highly touted, so any feedback on his studio would also be appreciated.
I look for somewhere that'll spar often and the more contact the better. Cost is also a bit of an issue.
Thank you.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jdub1107 said:
I've decided on taking up Kenpo and would like opinions on any instructors in the area I should look into or maybe stay away from.
I've already visited Rick Jeffcoats studio and would appreciate any feedback from current/past students. Also, I know Larry Tatum has been highly touted, so any feedback on his studio would also be appreciated.
I look for somewhere that'll spar often and the more contact the better. Cost is also a bit of an issue.
Thank you.

Rick is a fine instructor with many good students, I've known him for 15 years and he's still one of the few people that honestly deserves to wear the stripes on his belt. Contact won't be a problem there if you don't mind it, but I don't know how often his students spar.

DarK LorD

Marcus Buonfiglio

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bryan Hawkins Kenpo Karate is definitely up there with the best. Mr. Hawkins ran the Pasadena school back in the day. His dojo is clean and large, his instructors are excellent and the atmosphere for learning is superb. I highly recommend checking them out.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chavies has a school east of Pas, just south of the 210; and I believe Mr. Trejo kicks pretty much smack in the middle. I would expect lots of sparring/contact, but I could be wrong.

Regards,

D.

Latest Discussions